• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ok, this doesn't make much sense to me.

As Dublin/Tara, married a Cousin to a weak claimant from Dehuebarth. Used that to put her and my Cousin onto the throne. Except they're not allied with me (despite the family connections and y'know, getting the kingdom for them) and now another one-province kingdom (Gwent) is pushing their claim on the kingdom and because they have no levy troops (because last war was 3 months ago) they can't defend themselves.

That sucks! How can I help them out? When I went to war with former dynasty there, they somehow involved the Earl of Munster into the war despite no alliance pre-war, can I somehow get my Cousin to involve me into it in anyway to save his kingdom?

Ok, this doesn't make much sense to me.

As Dublin/Tara, married a Cousin to a weak claimant from Dehuebarth. Used that to put her and my Cousin onto the throne. Except they're not allied with me (despite the family connections and y'know, getting the kingdom for them) and now another one-province kingdom (Gwent) is pushing their claim on the kingdom and because they have no levy troops (because last war was 3 months ago) they can't defend themselves.

That sucks! How can I help them out? When I went to war with former dynasty there, they somehow involved the Earl of Munster into the war despite no alliance pre-war, can I somehow get my Cousin to involve me into it in anyway to save his kingdom?

There might be an "offer to join war" option in the diplomacy screen, but I'm not sure. Also, they need to be of your immediate family for an alliance, example, if you married a brother/father/son, there would be an alliance, but there would be no alliance with cousin/grandfather/grandson marriages.

Do attraction traits no longer apply to spouses after the 2.04 patch? My attractive female character seems to have no opinion bonus with her husband. Will this ever be fixed? I can understand marriage ties no longer adding values, but traits, eh.

Is there any way to look up war histories? Specifically, I want to look up Crusades. I don't even need to know who won them or anything like that. I just want to remember when the first one started, and what Crusade number we'll be up to next time there's a Crusade.

Is there any way to look up war histories? Specifically, I want to look up Crusades. I don't even need to know who won them or anything like that. I just want to remember when the first one started, and what Crusade number we'll be up to next time there's a Crusade.

I don't know where it would be in game. I'm not sure there is a place. However, do you like mucking around in the save file? If so, you should be able to find it there. I'm not sure what the structure looks like these days, but there used to be a piece that looked like:
Code:
	catholic=
	{
		last_crusade="1214.4.14"
		parent="noreligion"
	}
... With additional stuff about authority, etc. It might not look the same anymore, but I bet it's there.

I'd have to disagree. You are right that man for man, a longbowman isn't that better than a housecarl, but you can have double the longbowmen. It definitely pays off...

I don't think there's a specific reason to revoke lawfully. You can try to revoke in the Plot menu, if it's available. You can also try, and will probably fail, to excommunicate the vassal>imprison/release repeat until he rebels, and then take his property lawfully as he is a traitor.

If you give your titles you don't want to give out coincidentally, try the: give_title titleID charID command to repair the damage.

It's a bit of a moot point though. Enough of any kind of retinue lets you steamroll anything up to and including the Mongols. Hell, filling out your retinue cap with generic Skirmisher retinues is usually enough to ROFLstomp everyone.

Longbow retinues are better, but what they're better than is other retinues which still let you do basically whatever you want.

Also, you can revoke legally if you have a Strong Claim on that title.

I don't know where it would be in game. I'm not sure there is a place. However, do you like mucking around in the save file? If so, you should be able to find it there. I'm not sure what the structure looks like these days, but there used to be a piece that looked like:
Code:
	catholic=
	{
		last_crusade="1214.4.14"
		parent="noreligion"
	}
... With additional stuff about authority, etc. It might not look the same anymore, but I bet it's there.

I'm farther along in this game than I've been in a LONG time, and it's going quite well, assuming my realm doesn't implode in the next year or two. Thanks for the help, but I think I'm gonna stay away from the save file.

Next time there's a Crusade, I'll know what number it is. I know the first one came along before the year 900.

Another few questions. To grant a county independence, must that county be outside the DEJURE territory of ANY title you hold directly, or does it just have to be outside of the dejure territory of your primary title? Or does it have to be INSIDE the dejure territory? I guess I'm asking what can I grant independence and what can I NOT grant independence?

Example: I'm the Emperor of Britannia and of Carpathia, and I have a TON of other Kingdoms. I own a county directly in which there is an antipope. I want to get rid of the antipope. But I don't want to give the county to the antipope unless I'm sure I can grant it independence, then wage a war to remove the antipope. (If I can't, I can defeat the current Pope and install my antipope as Pope. Actually, considering that at the moment, seeing as the current Pope is Pope Lucius III 'The Wicked'.)

I would say: Go for the throat! Put down the wicked pope and rule the papacy, giving you showers of gold and making the game so very pointless.

Another few questions. To grant a county independence, must that county be outside the DEJURE territory of ANY title you hold directly, or does it just have to be outside of the dejure territory of your primary title? Or does it have to be INSIDE the dejure territory? I guess I'm asking what can I grant independence and what can I NOT grant independence?

Example: I'm the Emperor of Britannia and of Carpathia, and I have a TON of other Kingdoms. I own a county directly in which there is an antipope. I want to get rid of the antipope. But I don't want to give the county to the antipope unless I'm sure I can grant it independence, then wage a war to remove the antipope. (If I can't, I can defeat the current Pope and install my antipope as Pope. Actually, considering that at the moment, seeing as the current Pope is Pope Lucius III 'The Wicked'.)

You cannot grant your de jure vassals independence UNLESS they are a different culture or religion. If the county owner is a different culture, you're good to go. If not, it sounds like they are de jure (and they're obviously the same religion) so you're kind of stuck.

Total Noob here. 1st ever CKII play through. Loving it. Playing on easy difficulty.

Started as advised as a Irish petty king. It's been ~70 years or so. I now am King of Ireland. I directly own 5 counties, heir owns one, brother has 2, other son has 1, 3 other vassals have a county each. I'm 65, my wife died 10 years ago. I had 4 kids with my first wife, oldest son is heir. I then proceeded to remarry and had 4 more kids in my old age. Along the way, I pressed my 2nd wife weak claim to the petty kingdom of Gwenlyd (sorry, can't spell, Wales area). My wife is now the queen of Gwenlyd. So my 5th kid(1st kid with the second wife), is the heir to the throne of Gwenlyd.

2 questions.

1. What is the best way to remove the other non dynasty earl's and replace with my relatives? Or is this not worth the trouble? They're weak and decently loyal. I don't have strong claims, so I cant usurp. I don't want to revoke as I get penalty's with my other vassals. Is that the only way? I know I can imprison if they are plotting, but they're not plotting.

2. Is there any way to incorporate the kingdom of Gwenlyd into mine? I'm going to die soon, and my new self(my heir) will be a half brother to the king of Gwenlyd. I would like to create the kingdom of Wales, but I'm not sure the best way to get a hand hold into the area.

1. What is the best way to remove the other non dynasty earl's and replace with my relatives? Or is this not worth the trouble? They're weak and decently loyal. I don't have strong claims, so I cant usurp. I don't want to revoke as I get penalty's with my other vassals. Is that the only way? I know I can imprison if they are plotting, but they're not plotting.
It's generally not worth the trouble. Apart from a little bonus and more game score (but who's interested in that anyway?) landed family members don't do much for you, and they can be just as annoying as vassals from other dynasties.
If you really want to, though, you can fabricate claims on their titles with your chancellor and then revoke without penalty; sometimes a plot to revoke will show up in your intrigue tab as well, once that's successful it's a revocation without penalty as well. Also, trying to get your family on their thrones via marriage might work as well.

2. Is there any way to incorporate the kingdom of Gwenlyd into mine? I'm going to die soon, and my new self(my heir) will be a half brother to the king of Gwenlyd. I would like to create the kingdom of Wales, but I'm not sure the best way to get a hand hold into the area.
You can switch to elective, which is a good idea anyways, and choose the son who will inherit Gwynedd as your heir.

After a decade of marriage there's not been a hint of a pregnancy yet. As this is my first character and there's no dynasty at all (Norse minor) the risk of Game Over is concerning I've never had this before (I've died and lost, but never simply not had a pregnancy after a long time). I've been out raiding most of that time but I didn't think that prevented pregnancy?

Anything I can do? Would taking a concubine produce an heir?

My bride is 30. At what point should I arrange an accident and get a new bride? My character is 28.

After a decade of marriage there's not been a hint of a pregnancy yet. As this is my first character and there's no dynasty at all (Norse minor) the risk of Game Over is concerning I've never had this before (I've died and lost, but never simply not had a pregnancy after a long time). I've been out raiding most of that time but I didn't think that prevented pregnancy?

Anything I can do? Would taking a concubine produce an heir?

My bride is 30. At what point should I arrange an accident and get a new bride? My character is 28.

If you yourself are 28, there's no need to worry yet. You have a lot of time left, and dying in war isn't that common.

Your wife is young enough, once she reaches her late 30s I'd think about an accident if you don't have a heir yet.

Also, yes, concubines are a very good idea.

Concubines' children are fully heirs. They only get a light penalty to diplomacy.

To answer your questions:

1. whichever is born first

2. all of them

Thanks, took a concubine, wife got pregnant and had a son, then concubine got pregnant and wife is pregnant again. Wait ages for a bus and then three come along ...

If you reform Norse do you keep the ability to conquer coastal/neighbouring provinces?

It's generally not worth the trouble. Apart from a little bonus and more game score (but who's interested in that anyway?) landed family members don't do much for you, and they can be just as annoying as vassals from other dynasties.
If you really want to, though, you can fabricate claims on their titles with your chancellor and then revoke without penalty; sometimes a plot to revoke will show up in your intrigue tab as well, once that's successful it's a revocation without penalty as well. Also, trying to get your family on their thrones via marriage might work as well.

You can switch to elective, which is a good idea anyways, and choose the son who will inherit Gwynedd as your heir.

Wow, very prompt answer. CKII forums look like a great community. Thanks! And for the advice on elective...

If I give my heir a coastal city and its county and duchy he becomes head of a Merchant Republic right? What happens then when I die? Which I'm assuming is independent if I'm a duke but vassal if I'm king. Does he inherit my title and I continue now as a Republic, does he inherit my title relinquishing/disbanding the Republic or do I get a new heir? Does it matter which title is higher?

Or does something prevent you from doing this?

EDIT: And if you can do that is anything funky with Norse Republics or do they work same as Itlaina ones (besides not being Catholic/Orthodox).

Last edited:
If I give my heir a coastal city and its county and duchy he becomes head of a Merchant Republic right? What happens then when I die? Which I'm assuming is independent if I'm a duke but vassal if I'm king. Does he inherit my title and I continue now as a Republic, does he inherit my title relinquishing/disbanding the Republic or do I get a new heir? Does it matter which title is higher?

Or does something prevent you from doing this?

EDIT: And if you can do that is anything funky with Norse Republics or do they work same as Itlaina ones (besides not being Catholic/Orthodox).

You can do that. He will not be your heir no matter what and anyone that becomes his heir will also not be able to inherite anything from a feudal ruler. Still its not recomended to do as it can create buggy situations. The mechanics are the same in any culture or religion with republics.