• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
OK here's something that happened, I'm the Duke of Toulouse and my third son is to inherit two counties (Gavelkind succession). I married him to the daughter of the Duke of Aquitaine and thought nothing of it.

However, the Duke of Aquitaine dies without leaving a male heir so his daughter (my daughter in law) goes back to her court taking my son with her. No, if I die and my son inherits two counties, do those counties go to Aquitaine?

OK here's something that happened, I'm the Duke of Toulouse and my third son is to inherit two counties (Gavelkind succession). I married him to the daughter of the Duke of Aquitaine and thought nothing of it.

However, the Duke of Aquitaine dies without leaving a male heir so his daughter (my daughter in law) goes back to her court taking my son with her. No, if I die and my son inherits two counties, do those counties go to Aquitaine?

No. He will become a count with two counties under the duchy your primary heir gets.
His son however will become Duke of Aquitane once his mother is dead. And once his father his dead, he will also gain his counties.

To summarize:
Only in the second generation will those counties go to Aquitane.

Answering a few questions from the last 2 pages or so...

Are training grounds worth building? or should I just build more troops into my castles?

They're worth it if you already have a considerable number of troops of the type that the training grounds refers to.

I find training grounds are good if you go to war often and/or already have large(ish) levies in that province. You can make war with more troops more often, which is quite good for the cheapish prices they start at. (Due to the morale bonus, those troops probably also last longer in a fight, but I haven't really paid attention).

Playing multiplayer. I'm Leon and my friend is Ireland. If I send him a gift will he receive the actual gold or will I just increase my relations with him?

I've assumed the actual gold. You could test this in singleplayer by sending a count 20 gold, checking his character screen before and after? The pope of course sends money, but I've seen my ruler (king) randomly get a couple hundred gold from some random other ruler otherwise too.

(regarding women holding council positions)
Nope; the only position a woman can hold is spymaster (although you will get half of her stats added to yours.)

Clarification: I've only been able to put my wife as spymaster, not any other women. And no other positions. The exception for this is if the regent for a child ruler is a women (usually/always? queen mother), they can be chancellor or spymaster.

Im playing a Leon game and collecting king titles. Ive married a princess of Navarra with a inheritable claim to the kingdom of Navarra so that my kid could later claim the throne. King dies but his son doesnt get the claim. What gives? The kid got the claim to Galatia and that is also a titular kingdom. Im confused.

And my own question: how to best spread culture (in an unmodded game)? Gathered bits and pieces, like to just get a culture to appear in a province without a neighbouring one having the culture requires that the religion should be different from the desired one, but they'll spread to neighbouring ones if the ruler is the right culture? For the record, I'm playing (all landed nobels are) Norman Sicily (and conquering Africa, hopefully eventuall the Eastern Mediterranean), so far I've gotten events for Girgenti and Cyreneica, it's spread to 1 neighbouring province from each. How could I spread it faster to the long African (kingdom) coast, and how could I get it to the Italian mainland? Does it cross the Messina -> Reggio straight?

Because if not, it's gonna be real tricky getting muslims to invade Calabria or Napoli, now that I beat them back once already (and converted the provinces to Catholic). Unless them being Orthodox is enough (even then I'd have to get some orthodox vassals, have them convert it, then take the lands back and wait for the event before converting them to catholic)?

I guess part of the answer to "spread it faster" is "don't convert all the provinces to catholic right away", but any help on the rest?

No. He will become a count with two counties under the duchy your primary heir gets.
His son however will become Duke of Aquitane once his mother is dead. And once his father his dead, he will also gain his counties.

To summarize:
Only in the second generation will those counties go to Aquitane.

So I'm gonna lose some counties? How do I stop this?

Ok, after reading through chunks of this thread, I'm still sketchy on the whole claiming land process.

So, if I want to steal a duchy from the HRE, for example, what would I need to do?
Find a male claimant to the duchy, give them a landed title in my own realm, and then press claim? If I win the war, would that result in the duchy entering my realm?
According to the tool tip, the claimant would have to be either my de jure vassal or a blood relative. Does that de jure bit refer to the duchy I'm fighting a war for, or the title I give the claimant before going to war?

Related question: Would I be correct to assume that spreading your household to target duchies mean that down the line more claimants will be of your bloodline, increasing the chances of finding one you can use to expand your realm?

Aside from that method, how else can you expand inside the HRE?
1) Marry heirs
2) Forge claims through chancellor
3) ?

Also, if I were to form either of the Kingdoms of Italy or Burgundy, would they be subject to the crown laws of the HRE?

So, if I want to steal a duchy from the HRE, for example, what would I need to do?
Find a male claimant to the duchy, give them a landed title in my own realm, and then press claim? If I win the war, would that result in the duchy entering my realm?
No. As a duke, you can't have another duke as a vassal. The claimant would become independent (but with high relations to you). In fact you'd lose the county you gave them before pressing the claim, so you'd be worse off. Your plan would work, however, if you were pressing a claim on a county rather than a duchy, or if you were a king rather than just a duke.

To get a duchy, you have to either inherit it, or usurp it by first claiming a majority of its constituent counties.

The Kingdom of Burgundy has its own crown laws; I assume Italy does too.

No. As a duke, you can't have another duke as a vassal. The claimant would become independent (but with high relations to you). In fact you'd lose the county you gave them before pressing the claim, so you'd be worse off. Your plan would work, however, if you were pressing a claim on a county rather than a duchy, or if you were a king rather than just a duke.

Ah yes, forgot to specify, I am playing as a Kingdom.

But then, as a downside, following the war, I would have a new duke with at least two countries to their name, right? Or could I give the claimant a barony or city first?

If you are a King then, yes, the Duchy swears fealty to you after winning. The landed title you gave before the war makes you his liege. Since he is sworn to you, everything he gains in the war becomes part of your realm. And yes, he would have at least two counties to his name, but since you won a duchy for him, at least for that generation you have a really happy vassal.

Below absolute crown authority, he could even fight an independent war on a county claim outside your realm, and when he wins, that county would enlarge your territory. I ran into that when playing England, the Duke of Lancaster took some provinces in Wales. It was neat seeing my borders expand without my participation.

edit - The "de jure part" means that if you are the King of France and you press someone's claim on Normandy, because Normandy is de Jure a part of the Kingdom of France, you don't have to give the claimant a county first. He will become your vassal even if he is landless.

Last edited:
Is there a penalty if you let several children be educated by the same person?

For example: I currently have two male heirs. The first one I educated myself and the second one just turned 6. So I was thinking of also taking him under my wings, because then I have a bit control over his traits. Is there a downside to this?

So I’ve been reading a book about Alexander the Great and it’s made me want to form a makeshift Macedonia. Any ideas on what counties/duchies I should conquer?

If im not mistaken there is a de jure duchy of macedonia? Maybe you can start from there.

Is there a penalty if you let several children be educated by the same person?

For example: I currently have two male heirs. The first one I educated myself and the second one just turned 6. So I was thinking of also taking him under my wings, because then I have a bit control over his traits. Is there a downside to this?

You can only tutor 2 children at once. Aside from that, no.

No doubt been asked before - is there a way (be it active or passive) to increase the number of settlement slots in a county?

No. You can fill the existing ones, but there's no way to add another holding if there are no empty slots.

Can someone help explain bring in some settlers event to me? IIRC it doesnt fire for a province in your religious group but will it fire for a province in your culture group? If im a christian Turk will Muslim provinces of other Altic cultures get this event? Does it fire between Orthodox and Catholic Christians? They have different religious leaders and heresies but are both Christians so is that a no?

Last edited:
I'm adding a custom title to my version of the game, I got the title in and created the flag however the flag is not going with the title, in which file are flags tied to titles?

Just a theoretical question, but say my succession rules are agnatic-cognatic primogeniture, and my king has 5 daughters. I marry the first three matrilineally to get some male heirs. My eldest daughter pops out a son, but so does my king. Who becomes heir? I know the son of your first son, if the eldest son dies, becomes heir. But in this situation, what would happen?

In primogeniture the eldest son of the reigning King shall succeed, followed and children the son has, then followed by his brother that was born next (if any) and his children, then the next born child and so on.

Just a theoretical question, but say my succession rules are agnatic-cognatic primogeniture, and my king has 5 daughters. I marry the first three matrilineally to get some male heirs. My eldest daughter pops out a son, but so does my king. Who becomes heir? I know the son of your first son, if the eldest son dies, becomes heir. But in this situation, what would happen?

The king's son. Sons and their children are given priority over daughters and their children.