• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What is the percentage of archers needed to avoid "charge on undefended flank"? If I have 50/50 (archers/pikemen) armies, will I be able to fight efficiently or do I need less archers/more pikemen?

Ok, I seem to never get a question answered, but here goes again...

So I'm playing as the king of Ireland and Scotland in 1182. With the recent inheritance of North England (too much to explain right now but have Northumberland to Mercia), I am 12 counties away from forming Britannia. I have a good plan for getting both Welsh duchies (2000 gold and weak claims on hand), as well as needing Lincon. But from there I'm stuck, as even with a claim on Kent that I can with some work use I still have to get a few other counties and other claimants aren't available. So I have to ask: aside from waiting for a fabricated claim to finally fire, does anyone here have good ideas for me?

(It's past midnight, so sorry if this is not well written.)

You can establish some marital links that will bring peace for a generation and give you claims in the next.

If you must conquer them now, however, perhaps become an heretic and holy war them?

Ok, I seem to never get a question answered, but here goes again...

So I'm playing as the king of Ireland and Scotland in 1182. With the recent inheritance of North England (too much to explain right now but have Northumberland to Mercia), I am 12 counties away from forming Britannia. I have a good plan for getting both Welsh duchies (2000 gold and weak claims on hand), as well as needing Lincon. But from there I'm stuck, as even with a claim on Kent that I can with some work use I still have to get a few other counties and other claimants aren't available. So I have to ask: aside from waiting for a fabricated claim to finally fire, does anyone here have good ideas for me?

(It's past midnight, so sorry if this is not well written.)

Aside from the above "marry into a claim" proposal (which is a useful one) and "become heretic" (which is likely fastest), the other typical way is inviting a ducal claimant, landing him in your realm (even a barony should be fine) and then pushing his claim. This is far more reliable than any fabrication. You say there aren't any other claimants available, but there will be. If you can't marry into one yourself, just make sure that the secondary children ARE married so those claimants are available in a generation. You can also help create claimants by killing the current holder if he has extra children already. They're also more likely to be happy leaving for your court as a claimant in service to their newly elevated brother.

I read from wiki about Mongols that they have a chance to convert to any of the four main religions.
My question: Is there anything that determines which they choose if they convert? Is there something that can make one of the main religions more possible to
become religion of Mongols? I ask this because soon I will face the Mongols and I would like to get them converted as Orthodox because I am also Orthodox.

You can send your religious advisor (I'm not sure what they are called in Orthodoxy) to their capital and try to convert them. Additionally, they can also convert to a heresy, so it is not only the four main religions, but those, too.
Nowadays they seem to convert to Hinduism most of the time, but that may be only my personal impression.

Can you get Survivor achievement (1066 -> 1453) starting from William the Conqueror bookmark? It kinda feels like yes but I'm really not confident about it.

The only broken savegames I've ever seen were results of an update that made earlier saves incompatible. It probably doesn't make a difference where you save them, they won't work with the new version of the game in that case.

Since the converter is DLC for this game, I guess I'll ask it here...

I just converted my Norse Roman Empire to EU4, and got generic national ideas. I know the Roman Empire usually gets unique NIs when you covert, so why did I just get the generic ones? Is it because I changed the name of the empire, or is it because of my culture? Do I need to be orthodox to get the unique NIs?

Aside from the above "marry into a claim" proposal (which is a useful one) and "become heretic" (which is likely fastest), the other typical way is inviting a ducal claimant, landing him in your realm (even a barony should be fine) and then pushing his claim. This is far more reliable than any fabrication. You say there aren't any other claimants available, but there will be. If you can't marry into one yourself, just make sure that the secondary children ARE married so those claimants are available in a generation. You can also help create claimants by killing the current holder if he has extra children already. They're also more likely to be happy leaving for your court as a claimant in service to their newly elevated brother.

Why is it necessary to land claimants before pressing their claim? I seem perfectly capable of pressing claims of courtiers I simply invite to my court.

Why is it necessary to land claimants before pressing their claim? I seem perfectly capable of pressing claims of courtiers I simply invite to my court.
They won't be your vassals if you don't land them, but independant rulers once you press their claims.
Except for the case they are from your dynasty or the title they have a claim on is a de jure vassal of your title.

Is it a good idea to give holdings to familiy members? I believe I've read that dynastic prestige is based upon the rank of every member in the dynasty, dead and alive. I understand that it's obviously not good to grant them powerful holdings because they'll press their claims all the time, but is it smart to try to make them counts and barons whenever possible? Does mayors and bishops also count for dynasty prestige?

Is it a good idea to give holdings to familiy members? I believe I've read that dynastic prestige is based upon the rank of every member in the dynasty, dead and alive. I understand that it's obviously not good to grant them powerful holdings because they'll press their claims all the time, but is it smart to try to make them counts and barons whenever possible? Does mayors and bishops also count for dynasty prestige?

Dynastic prestige is not really all that important, particularly by the time you're strong enough to be granting lands all over the place. As that and the very small opinion boon (often offset by succession law penalties) are the only DIRECT benefits to family holding land, they are pretty slim. On the other hand, landing dynasty members that do no not stand to inherit claims on your top titles (uncles, cousins, etc) also carries very minimal risk. Landing second sons is certainly more risky, but the that crazy, claimless great uncle is rarely more risky than landing any other random guy. And in my opinion, it also feels "right" to favor dynasts in a dynastic game.

This changes a little if you're playing a Muslim as you have to manage the decadence issue there as well.