• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
in my current game (now king of ireland) i come across something odd.
I have to many demenses so I started giving them away.
when I check the tool tip it says it will improve my relation by 40 but every time after i gave the county away they have a lower oppinion of me instead of higher, it makes no sense. is this a bug or are ther othere foul forces at play?
Courtiers don't care if you have too many demesne holdings so those negatives don't apply to them until you give them a holding. You first give them a holding and lord/mayor/bishopric modifiers come into play, and they like you less on balance, but don't despair. As you give those extra holdings away their opinion of you will rise.

edit - Beat to it. Plus, if you have high taxes, high crown laws, and high levy policies on them, those negative modifiers will change their opinion too.

---

Oh, and my question...

I have finally made it into the 1200s in my current and longest Normandy to England game, but I'm wondering something about the late game. Similar to the Mongol invasion, other disruptive events like the little ice age, famines, the black death, and political and religious disruptions occured in this time period, creating what the wiki calls the crisis of the late middle ages.

Are impacts other than the Mongol Invasion modeled at all or will I expect steady growth and development to the end of the game?

edit - Ok, after reading some other threads, it seems that the historical population increases and depopulations isn't really modeled in-game. I have just seen the first in game messages about the Mongols, so I'll see what effect that invasion brings to my game.

Last edited:
when I check the tool tip it says it will improve my relation by 40 but every time after i gave the county away they have a lower oppinion of me instead of higher, it makes no sense. is this a bug or are ther othere foul forces at play?

You need to check the prospective counts' traits. A noble with no title that loves you, might have the "ambitious" trait and gain a desire for the duchy as well as kingdom when given a county. That's an automatic -50 (for ambitious), and -25 per title he thinks he deserves.

Sometimes if you give counties of different duchies to a same character, they desire the appropriate duchies the counties are in. Or, if they're already dukes and you own a county of that duchy, they might desire that county.
If you give a character a duchy, they might desire the Kingdom. etc.
Suma sumarum, try to "focus" your vassals around specific duchies.

Some maluses are only for landed characters. They were probably not landed before you gave away the title?

not sure think it was mayer and alike, also maybe as a result ther of often after i gave away a county soon they would revolt

edit.

a thanks it make sense that some of the negative modifiers didn't came into play untill after they actualy owned land
my crownlaw was set to high and all my other laws normal (default?)

I got to say that after taking over most of Ireland i got a bit stuck in handling mostly internal strife.
what would be the best route the get more lands after that?
the only real option close by seemed scotland but they were a tad powerfull compared to myself.

and apart from that other than getting county claims (first by fabricating then , and later i discovered to invite claim holder to court) it was imposible for me to fight for the kingdom of Scotland, even after getting the pope like me by joining in crusades.

Last edited:
Crown laws (not Feudal laws) including crown authority and investiture applies to de jure kingdoms, which you can see by pressing a certain button on the right of the mini map in case you have not seen it. Most of Flanders lie in France's de jure kingdom, so France's crown laws will be imposed on you, but you get to choose your own levels of Feudal levies, taxes, etc...

Or rather, he'd get to do that anyway, but the King of France can no longer call on his troops, or take taxes from him, and he's free to attack France's vassals even if France's crown authority is at medium or above, etc. On the other hand, no more king-level liege to protect him from and ambitious German dukes or the Emperor. Or England. Or whoever.

Thanks for the answers.

However, the whole reason for my rather ragey post was that because France had no Crown Authority left, I was now not allowed to revoke the Counties in my own Duchy... I mean, what's that all about? I'm independent and I can't kick any Counts out because some King has been on the losing end of 3 Independence Wars, a half dozen other wars, oh, and got excommunicated too? A King I WON my independence from.

What exactly is the Ilkhanate? Sorry if this has been asked before but I'm completely confused, to be honest. When I saw the events for the Ilkhanate and Golden Horde, both leaders with their emperor-level titles were just chillin' in some pagan county. Eventually the Golden Horde got all hordey and started hoarding Russia, but the Ilkhanate still has no lands. Is this just an abnormality, or does the ilkhanate serve some other purpose?

What exactly is the Ilkhanate? Sorry if this has been asked before but I'm completely confused, to be honest. When I saw the events for the Ilkhanate and Golden Horde, both leaders with their emperor-level titles were just chillin' in some pagan county. Eventually the Golden Horde got all hordey and started hoarding Russia, but the Ilkhanate still has no lands. Is this just an abnormality, or does the ilkhanate serve some other purpose?

The Ilkhanate, also spelled Il-khanate (Mongolian: Хүлэгийн улс Hülegü-yn Ulus Persian: سلسله ایلخانی‎), was a Mongol khanate established in Persia in the 13th century, considered a part of the Mongol Empire. The Ilkhanate was based, originally, on Genghis Khan's campaigns in the Khwarezmid Empire in 1219–1224, and founded by Genghis's grandson, Hulagu, in territories which today comprise most of Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, Turkmenistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Turkey, and Pakistan. The Ilkhanate initially embraced many religions, but was particularly sympathetic to Buddhism and Christianity. Later Ilkhanate rulers, beginning with Ghazan in 1295, embraced Islam. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilkhanate).

So yeah, it's sorta supposed to conquer a big part of the world. Just like the Golden horde, except the Golden Horde probably has an easier time conquering Europe because there's no tech there (russian and cuman counties start with 0/0/0 tech). Also, the GH has to deal with smaller and weaker realms (except maybe for a unified Rus and the Cumans, whose doomstacks get crushed by the Mongol ones). So, while the GH has an easier time conquering and keeping lands in the steppes under their control, the Ilkhanate mostly limits its conquests to Persia and maybe the lands that the seljuks hold, rarely getting to the Caliphate (which most of the time is the Shia, not the Sunni one, ironically).

Last edited:
Thanks for the answers.

However, the whole reason for my rather ragey post was that because France had no Crown Authority left, I was now not allowed to revoke the Counties in my own Duchy... I mean, what's that all about? I'm independent and I can't kick any Counts out because some King has been on the losing end of 3 Independence Wars, a half dozen other wars, oh, and got excommunicated too? A King I WON my independence from.

Your frustration is entirely understandable. If the HRE has high authority, you might consider declaring fealty to the German Emperor, though of course it might be more trouble than it is worth.

The other way around is to antagonize the count in question until he rebels, then you can revoke one title from him.

Your frustration is entirely understandable. If the HRE has high authority, you might consider declaring fealty to the German Emperor, though of course it might be more trouble than it is worth.

The other way around is to antagonize the count in question until he rebels, then you can revoke one title from him.

Not unless he's got Limited CA or no CA at all. He CAN, however, banish said count. If he's only got one title, it's a -20 opinion hit plus the -40 for imprisoning him for no reason (you can force him to revolt and avoid this though), but you get all his gold too.

The Ilkhanate, also spelled Il-khanate (Mongolian: Хүлэгийн улс Hülegü-yn Ulus Persian: سلسله ایلخانی‎), was a Mongol khanate established in Persia in the 13th century, considered a part of the Mongol Empire. The Ilkhanate was based, originally, on Genghis Khan's campaigns in the Khwarezmid Empire in 1219–1224, and founded by Genghis's grandson, Hulagu, in territories which today comprise most of Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, Turkmenistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia, Turkey, and Pakistan. The Ilkhanate initially embraced many religions, but was particularly sympathetic to Buddhism and Christianity. Later Ilkhanate rulers, beginning with Ghazan in 1295, embraced Islam. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilkhanate).

So yeah, it's sorta supposed to conquer a big part of the world. Just like the Golden horde, except the Golden Horde probably has an easier time conquering Europe because there's no tech there (russian and cuman counties start with 0/0/0 tech). Also, the GH has to deal with smaller and weaker realms (except maybe for a unified Rus and the Cumans, whose doomstacks get crushed by the Mongol ones). So, while the GH has an easier time conquering and keeping lands in the steppes under their control, the Ilkhanate mostly limits its conquests to Persia and maybe the lands that the seljuks hold, rarely getting to the Caliphate (which most of the time is the Shia, not the Sunni one, ironically).

Ah, thank you! Good luck taking on the Seljuks, though, in my game. They grew extremely powerful. I fought them while they weren't facing internal strife... once. That was the hardest two counties I've ever taken.

hey very quick Ive been adding empires, kingdoms duchies to the landed titles and alls fine they have all been recognised in game, however the probelm is when I try to assign them all flags most of them accept the new flag however some don't. I've checked that theres no typos in their names and it isn't that, the flags name is the exact same as the coded one so I'm stumped on why they won't take the flag.

another noob question: yearly income of Church Elgin at Moray in Scotland is 8.80, including church taxes +10%. But yearly income of bishop of Elgin at my vassal page is 9.3. Am I missing some factors?

another noob question: yearly income of Church Elgin at Moray in Scotland is 8.80, including church taxes +10%. But yearly income of bishop of Elgin at my vassal page is 9.3. Am I missing some factors?
Compare the Tax Buildings like the Church Wall, see what level each building is at.