• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What's the quickest way to become dead when you're in someone's prison?

(One day, I will have a succession in Sweden that does not result in my game being a dead man walking.)

Get the event and yell about how you're being treated, if you're lucky it's oubliette time...

Succession question...

My son & heir (Duke of Bavaria) is married to a countess from a different realm (East Francia). As expected, the firstborn grandson is heir to daddy's titles but not mom's (presumably east Francia is high CA since her county is a-c primo, as is Bavaria). Child #2 is listed as heir to mom's county. Fair enough, I understand that, the question is: if mom dies first and child #2 becomes count of Ulm then child 1 dies, what happens when my son & I die?

Does some cousin/nephew inherit all of Bavaria because mom's county can't be yanked out of East Francia, does the kid give up the county in favor of the rest of the stuff, or does the county come along anyway since he's inheriting the land into the country but then becoming independent on the "king can't have a king vassal" plan (when he eventually gets my titles)?

My son & heir (Duke of Bavaria) is married to a countess from a different realm (East Francia). As expected, the firstborn grandson is heir to daddy's titles but not mom's (presumably east Francia is high CA since her county is a-c primo, as is Bavaria). Child #2 is listed as heir to mom's county. Fair enough, I understand that, the question is: if mom dies first and child #2 becomes count of Ulm then child 1 dies, what happens when my son & I die?
You will have Bavaria and Ulm, but a new liege under East Francia(Unless Bavaria also has High CA).

You will have Bavaria and Ulm, but a new liege under East Francia(Unless Bavaria also has High CA).

Nah, my Bavaria was a kingdom, it would have been gain Ulm but alas twas not to be as I got another son after my daughter inherited Ulm but before I could whack my first son. So instead I had to take it the hard way using his claim.

Nah, my Bavaria was a kingdom, it would have been gain Ulm but alas twas not to be as I got another son after my daughter inherited Ulm but before I could whack my first son. So instead I had to take it the hard way using his claim.
Oh crap, I missed that it said "my son and heir". In that case yes, you are screwed on the inheritance as you found out :) Glad it worked out in the end tho.

I suppose there is no peaceful way to abdicate the throne except giving in to factions is there?

EDIT: Maimed heals ever?

Last edited:
I suppose there is no peaceful way to abdicate the throne except giving in to factions is there?

EDIT: Maimed heals ever?

You can just give away the title, no?

Maimed doesn't heal. People don't regrow legs and hands :p

You can just give away the title, no?

Maimed doesn't heal. People don't regrow legs and hands :p

Didn't think so, just was curious because it said only a miracle in the description, in a world with portals to hell and daemon spawn you never know :D

Cant pass on imperial titles unless on succession, except if I am missing something.

Is it possible, when at war, to get a county that is not in the original claim?

For instance, you want to take Scotland but have only the claim on Galloway, you press it. When you won the war, you'll only be granted Galloway, no matter how many counties you have taken. So you fabricate another claim, but that just makes for huge "break truce" penalties going war after war until you have the whole thing. Is that a way to add a claim when already at war?

Allright so I've just learned something that most of you probably know already but if someone happens to have the same question than I had...

When at war for "press all claims" as replied before, you press only the claims that are particular for your character, but if you want you can refuse the opponent surrender and keep fabricating claims on his territory, that way you keep adding claims to your cause and avoid having to face the "break truce" penalties. Very nice indeed!

Last edited:
Didn't think so, just was curious because it said only a miracle in the description, in a world with portals to hell and daemon spawn you never know :D

Cant pass on imperial titles unless on succession, except if I am missing something.

The Demon Child can heal almost any negative health trait. That's about it.

The Demon Child can heal almost any negative health trait. That's about it.

Nah my heir is no daemon spawn. He is just a 20 year old cripple. Those wars to restore Burgundy and annex it in the empire via inheritance have cost him an arm and a leg...litteraly :D

I've seen several instances of landed Bishops with claims both launching claim wars for the title, and also being the focal point for faction wars.

Duke of Champagne gives one of his sons the Archbishopric in the Duchy of Champagne and after dying, this son presses his claim against his brother (with a free event troop stack no less) and becomes a Prince-Archbishop.

Seen the same thing in Italy and Germany.

I was of the distinct impression this was supposed to have been stopped, but haven't played Catholics in ages.

Was I mistaken? How is this supposed to work?

I got a new one:

I Have the holy sepulcher as a vassal and I have a grand master married to a Karling that can press a claim for a duchy. OFC there are no children in the middle so if I press the claim will the kingdom be my vassal or can I expect the Karling princes to make it independent?

I got a new one:

I Have the holy sepulcher as a vassal and I have a grand master married to a Karling that can press a claim for a duchy. OFC there are no children in the middle so if I press the claim will the kingdom be my vassal or can I expect the Karling princes to make it independent?

She won't become your vassal unless she's of your dynasty or the duchy is de jure part of your lands. Otherwise the duchy will continue to be either independent or a vassal of whoever controls the duchy now. If she was currently a landholding vassal herself then she would add the new land to her dominions and continue as your vassal.

Sooo, technologies. How does the spread of technology work precisely? I mean not the spread itself, but what it affects. I get the building technologies - if you have them, you can build in your capital, but to build elswhere, it has to spread.

But whatabout other technologies. If I research light infantry for example, will all of my light infantry get the bonuses? Or only from my capital+provinces with spread? Or only my personal levies? (I don´t have retinues DLC - btw, is it worth it? ;) ) Same problem with cultural techs. Igf I have let´s say tolerance, will all people in my realm be more tolerant or only me, or only people in provinces with spread? Thanks for answer.

Sooo, technologies. How does the spread of technology work precisely? I mean not the spread itself, but what it affects. I get the building technologies - if you have them, you can build in your capital, but to build elswhere, it has to spread.

But whatabout other technologies. If I research light infantry for example, will all of my light infantry get the bonuses? Or only from my capital+provinces with spread? Or only my personal levies? (I don´t have retinues DLC - btw, is it worth it? ;) ) Same problem with cultural techs. Igf I have let´s say tolerance, will all people in my realm be more tolerant or only me, or only people in provinces with spread? Thanks for answer.

Retinues DLC makes the game quite a bit easier, but also less frustrating. No more constantly having to raise levies and then put them away at the end of a war just to get them out again!

I think that the bonuses are applied to the individual sub-units of the armies, dependent on where they were raised, but I might be wrong.

http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Technology

And yes, it affects all your armies (vassal levies, personal levies and retinues). Retinues are a must. I fight most of my wars using only them. Some are extremely powerful (cataphracts, druzhinas, etc).

can republics build trading posts along the coast of India,I set up a republic but i can not build any trading posts, when i curse over the tradepost box i need to be below the tradingpost cap, but i have no trading posts, and I am wondering if it's a bug or working as intended.

p.s. also none of the other families are building trade posts either

can republics build trading posts along the coast of India,I set up a republic but i can not build any trading posts, when i curse over the tradepost box i need to be below the tradingpost cap, but i have no trading posts, and I am wondering if it's a bug or working as intended.

p.s. also none of the other families are building trade posts either

You should be able to as long as the capital of the republic is a port on that sea mass and has trade tech > 1 (so the tp limit is greater than 0). I haven't been able to successfully morph into a republic in that part of the world yet so I can't personally vouch that it is working though.

re: Prince-Bishop of Valois:

Is her husband a bishop?