• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Question: Is it possible to refuse to be the next heir of the HRE (as vasal)?

I get always elected with 10-15 votes but I really don't want to gain the messed up realm with revolting vasals. Also, when I give the HRE to someone else, I loose all of of my counties in Burgundy to the HRE.

Last edited:
My spymaster got captured in a foreign court because he was checking out their technology. Is there any way to get her out of there?

It never happened to me so I can't say for certain. But I think you can pay money to get him back. Go to your spymaster and check the diplomacy screen. You should have an option about ransoming.

Will the holy orders help me defend the holy land from the Orthodox Emperor?

I've got a question concerning Prince-Bishoprics and Lord Mayors/Doges. I get a -30 penalty from them for "wrong gouvernment type" (I currently play the German version, therefore I'm not sure whether I cite correctly.) Is this a result due to me being a feudal lord and them being clerical/burgher vassals and would that not be the case for clerical vassals with a clerical liege? Is there a way to get rid of this penalty without changing the type of government in the county? It is hard to keep the archbishops in line and paying with this big penalty.

Speaking of holy orders, what is the best way to get them? Every order is and has been under contract with someone else for years now (the Kaiser to be precise) and I finally feel large enough to try winning against the sea of green. I need help though.

I've got a question concerning Prince-Bishoprics and Lord Mayors/Doges. I get a -30 penalty from them for "wrong gouvernment type" (I currently play the German version, therefore I'm not sure whether I cite correctly.) Is this a result due to me being a feudal lord and them being clerical/burgher vassals and would that not be the case for clerical vassals with a clerical liege? Is there a way to get rid of this penalty without changing the type of government in the county? It is hard to keep the archbishops in line and paying with this big penalty.

You are correct about where the penalty comes from. And no, I don't think there's any way of making it go away, but giving an archbishop a barony might make him switch his capital to it, and become a duke.

When granting titles does it matter who I grant it to?
For example I want to give a city, should I give it to someone with high stewardship skills or does it really matter? Should I grant titles just for the sake of increasing opinion for my king?

When granting titles does it matter who I grant it to?
For example I want to give a city, should I give it to someone with high stewardship skills or does it really matter? Should I grant titles just for the sake of increasing opinion for my king?

Usually people just give baron level holdings to random people right click the holding). Giving multiple cities for single mayor might be good idea if he is content or has high stewardship skills.

However, never give new holdings to ambitious, rebellious vassals. They will only grow stronger, not nicer.

What determines how many Holdings you can build in a province? Is it tech related or just hard coded?

Hard coded. Some places are future powerhouses (Burgoyne, Barcelona) others will always be weak.

What happens if you give a Holy Order a county? Is it the same as giving them a holding, where they become independent, or is there any way to get them as your vassal?

Hard coded. Some places are future powerhouses (Burgoyne, Barcelona) others will always be weak.
Just to clarify this, it's not hard-coded in the strict sense--you can change the max number of holdings by modding the province history files--but you can't have it changed by tech, event, etc.

im the duke of upper lorraine and the duke of lower lorraine got a claim on my land. he declared war on me and i was winning by occupying a few provinces of his. the best reward option for me is to gain some prestage, coins and stuff but not taking his land away. how can i take his land away?

im the duke of upper lorraine and the duke of lower lorraine got a claim on my land. he declared war on me and i was winning by occupying a few provinces of his. the best reward option for me is to gain some prestage, coins and stuff but not taking his land away. how can i take his land away?
By signing a peace treaty with him, then you declare war on him with an appropriate claim casus belli. You can't acquire land if you're the defender.

First post in this forum!:)

My problem is that I disabled one of the icons on the top without knowing it (the child lacks a guardian information icon). Now how do I get it back there on top? It's quite annoying since I always forget to appoint a guardian without that icon there