• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is it a good idea to try and have only family members as vassals? They all seem to have claims on my kingdoms

There's positives and negatives to it. I've started leaning toward giving land to complete strangers, and not much of it at that. People closely enough related to give an alliance ought to take a 50 prestige hit for DoWing you, but I don't think I fully understand when that kicks in.

Second question: frankly, I've taken less to asking someone to end serious plots (e.g. murdering heirs, taking my titles) because it just gives them a chance to practice plotting. I arrest them. The plots which succeed I never hear about, so if I "end plot" all I do is expose my Spymaster's success, I don't actually stop anything (except in instances where there's a) a backer, and b) the plotter will end the plot, then I've set them back, a little).
End Plot gives you a relationship bonus to all the backers, I seem to recall someone saying. I've yet to test it myself though.

Since I've never played an Orthodox ruler I have a question concerning the appointment of Bishops.
Who appoints them?
More specifically: Let's say I give a newly conquered duchy (CB Holy War, so every single holding in it) to one single Bishop. Will his holdings stay united upon succession or will every holding get its own bishop?

For Catholics it works like this: With Free Investiture it stays together, with Papal the pope tends to give each bishopric its own bishop and thus effectively shatters Archbishoprics.

Since I've never played an Orthodox ruler I have a question concerning the appointment of Bishops.
Who appoints them?
More specifically: Let's say I give a newly conquered duchy (CB Holy War, so every single holding in it) to one single Bishop. Will his holdings stay united upon succession or will every holding get its own bishop?

For Catholics it works like this: With Free Investiture it stays together, with Papal the pope tends to give each bishopric its own bishop and thus effectively shatters Archbishoprics.

Don't know, my gut feeling is that it will just work like Free Investiture.

Be sure to report back when you find out. Why don't you just save/reload till you assasinate him to check?

I play as England and its around 1120... more and more of my counts & dukes turn to be English while I worked hard for the last centuries to turn them into Normans. Since English is not the same culturegroup I wanted to know if I am to expect that most of my people will start to turn soon (in that case I would make sure my heir gets educated as an English next time)?

I play as England and its around 1120... more and more of my counts & dukes turn to be English while I worked hard for the last centuries to turn them into Normans. Since English is not the same culturegroup I wanted to know if I am to expect that most of my people will start to turn soon (in that case I would make sure my heir gets educated as an English next time)?

You will turn english too. Normans in England turn English after 1100 iirc. Just embrace the change. it's a sign you've done well.

Ok here comes another few:
a) Would you recommend to form duchies although I have already 2 with my character thus having to give it out to another of my vassals? Pro: Easier to control just one vassal. Contra: Powerful vassal
b) Do you give your dukes always the control over their de jure duchy if you can choose or do you keep vassals out of his duchy to yourself?
c) Is there a opinion modifier that dukes etc. get if I have more than one kingdom? Or should I always create all kingdoms I can?
d) Are taxes & levies as a king dependent on my dukes only or on my dukes, counts and barons etc.? Meaning if I raise my country levies are those dependent on the opinion of the baron to his liege and the one of the count to me or of the baron/count/duke to me?

a) Would you recommend to form duchies although I have already 2 with my character thus having to give it out to another of my vassals? Pro: Easier to control just one vassal. Contra: Powerful vassal
b) Do you give your dukes always the control over their de jure duchy if you can choose or do you keep vassals out of his duchy to yourself?
c) Is there a opinion modifier that dukes etc. get if I have more than one kingdom? Or should I always create all kingdoms I can?
d) Are taxes & levies as a king dependent on my dukes only or on my dukes, counts and barons etc.? Meaning if I raise my country levies are those dependent on the opinion of the baron to his liege and the one of the count to me or of the baron/count/duke to me?

a) The character to whom you give the duchy gets a nice big bonus in relationship with you. He is powerful, though - make sure to keep him and his family the same religion/culture as you and give gifts/honourary titles if needed.
b) If they don't have control over counties in their de jure duchy they will resent that. They will desire them, and that's -25 for each county or barony your duke desires. These can easily build up and destroy your relationship.
c) There's no relationship bonus. You get more prestige with more kingdoms, though dukes will start to desire one of the kingdoms too. Some people say to create as many as possible, others otherwise. It isn't a no-brainer.

I would say create any duchies that one of your already duke vassals could form asap. Then create duchies that your count vassals could form. Then create duchies in areas where you just have vassals. In these situations creating a duchy is just a way of turning cash into prestegie. With your bigest dukes you can then break them up a bit by gving the title to some of their counts.

I would not really create duchies on land you own 51% of yourself as it creates problems with opinon. Either two many duchies or desires duchy penalties.

I pick 1 or 2 de jure duchies with 5-6 provinces preferably rich/hightech preferably next to each other and hang on to them for ever as my core lands. I then try to create every de jure duchy in my kingdom, preferably with a family member as the duke. A duke who holds just 1 de jure duchy will never be that much trouble.

b)Give out the de jure vassals. You get too big an opinon penalty otherwise. Again you want each duke to have 1 de jure duchy entierly and nothing else. for maximum control have each guy only control 1 province (so a 3 province duchy is the duke and 2 counts). That way if the duke revolts you can just strip him of the duchy title and give it to the nicer of the other two counts.

c) If they live in your 2nd kingdom they will desire the kingdom which is a -20 hit. I would create other kingdoms as soon as you have got the elective law to primogeniture. Brand new kingdoms will usually have the crown laws of your primary title so it can be worth waiting a bit if you are just about to change them. Don't create with Gavelkind

d) Taxes are dependant on your vassals. And your vassals taxes are dependent on their vassals. So your Dukes Counts and Barons will pay him tax based on his laws and he will pay you taxes based on yours. note that as feudal taxes default to 0% even if you raise yours your dukes wont, so they will pay very little for land they don't control directly.

[Disclaimer: I realise this kind of thing has come up in this thread before but my specific question wasn't answered so I thought I'd ask anyway...]

I'm playing as the count of Lyon, created the Duchy of Dauphine and married the Duchess of Savoie which my heir is set to inherit after my wife dies. My long-term goal is to grab enough counties to form the Kingdom of Burgundy. The HRE just raised Crown Authority to Medium, so my military-based expansion plans just got seriously curtailed (I know I can go the marriage/intrigue route but the Duke of Provence has about a million male heirs and mass-assassination seems very game-ey to me). I know that as a non-de Jure vassal of the HRE I can't vote on the succession, but I also don't seem to be able to plot to lower crown authority either.

My question is: is there any way I can get my military expansion options back? Is my only option to declare independence from the HRE (not going to end well) or is there something else I can do?

How does one assign a character other than one's own to command troops raised in one's demesne? I am aware that the marshal sometimes does so, if not assigned to some task, but i am unsure how to choose, say, a courtier for this function instead.

If I´m outside the HRE (for example, king of France) and inherit something in the HRE (for example duchy of Provence) - will the Emperor come after me?

If I´m outside the HRE (for example, king of France) and inherit something in the HRE (for example duchy of Provence) - will the Emperor come after me?

Only if he has a claim on it, which is unlikely unless he was related with the previous owner.