• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I started in 1066 as France and cheated myself the title of Latin Emperor because I wanted to get as much time as the LE as possible. However, I can't change the laws on crown authority or the laws on succession. The authority laws are all locked and my succession is Agnatic-Gavelkind. Please help before my guy dies and I have to waste time getting the land back.

You should be able to change succession laws for any title. Hover over the "?" to find out why. I haven't played a titular title (that is, without de jure provinces) since the last patch or so, so I can't say, but there should be conditions to meet like no vassals having negative relations with you, having ruled for ten years with this title, and being at peace. Some of the laws have prerequisites for crown authority, but you should be able to move to seniority or elective. Primogeniture requires high authority.

Crown authority requires a de jure kingdom or empire, though you should still be king of France even if you cheated in addition to being Emperor. So click on the French coat of arms at the top of the law screen and see what you can do.

Question: Since I am regent and chancellor of the HRE, I am wondering if I get any salary?

Also, is it possible to see the exact income/expense of my realm? I kind of miss this feature or can't find it.

Click on the COA next to your portrait, it will break it down by type of tax and expense. If you mouse over the numbers, it will even break it down by who is paying what, and if it is below what they should be paying.

You can actually do that to any title's COA, so you can see other peoples sources of income.

I'm playing as a duke in the HRE, and all the time I get messages about what duke favors whom as heir to the emperor's throne. Maybe I'm just too stupid to see it, but where can I actually vote for my favorite candidate? I haven't found any button/option anywhere.

look under laws button. click on HRE COA. You will see the portraits of the heir and pretenders under those is a button saying Nominate. Click that and you will get a list of Claimants just pick the one you want.

I'm playing as a duke in the HRE, and all the time I get messages about what duke favors whom as heir to the emperor's throne. Maybe I'm just too stupid to see it, but where can I actually vote for my favorite candidate? I haven't found any button/option anywhere.

You need to be a duke (or king) of the de jure HRE, ie Germany + Bohemia in order to vote for the heir. Then to actually vote laws page, hre shield, nominate.

look under laws button. click on HRE COA. You will see the portraits of the heir and pretenders under those is a button saying Nominate. Click that and you will get a list of Claimants just pick the one you want.

I can see the heir and pretenders (as well as a number next to their portraits indicating the number of votes), but there is no button under that. Is this a bug?

You need to be a duke (or king) of the de jure HRE, ie Germany + Bohemia in order to vote for the heir. Then to actually vote laws page, hre shield, nominate.

I'm duke of Upper Burgundy (and holding 3 counties in it) - is that not part of the de jure HRE? At least the culture of most counties there is German.

Edit: Ok I think that actually this is exactly the problem. Thanks!

Last edited:
I sent my Chancelloer to the county of Ormond in Ireland,

He succeeded in forging a Claim on the Grand City of Ormond.

Am I correct in saying If I pressed this claim in a war I would gain just the city and I could appoint my own Grand Mayor? This isn't a county claim?

If I didn't appoint a Mayor I'd get wrong holding penalty?

The province would still belong to the Count of Ormond. But the Mayor would be my Vassal?

Taxes would be paid to me. This would be cool as Ormond is a rich city.

I sent my Chancelloer to the county of Ormond in Ireland,

He succeeded in forging a Claim on the Grand City of Ormond.

Am I correct in saying If I pressed this claim in a war I would gain just the city and I could appoint my own Grand Mayor? This isn't a county claim?

If I didn't appoint a Mayor I'd get wrong holding penalty?

The province would still belong to the Count of Ormond. But the Mayor would be my Vassal?

Taxes would be paid to me. This would be cool as Ormond is a rich city.
"Grand City" means the city is the capital of the province, and the Lord Mayor is the count-level character. In other words, this is a claim on the county-level title, it's just held by a republic, not a noble.

If you press the claim, you'd become the Count of Ormond, the city would be part of your demesne, and the old Lord Mayor's vassals would become your vassals. At that point, you would have the wrong holding type penalty on the city. Assuming you're a Duke or higher, you could then appoint a new Lord Mayor (who would not have the wrong holding type), and he'd be your vassal and pay his taxes to you. He would have the wrong government type modifier, though (republics don't like being under feudal lords), but he's still probably pay you more tax than you'd get on your own.

A question about modding. I'm no computer expert, but I seem to remember with previous Paradox games that things like this weren't too difficult to achieve. How can I add a slot to a county? Doesn't have to be occupied with anything. I just want to add a slot.

General military question: It seems like most of the time that the biggest army wins. As the count of Altmark, I have a smaller army than virtually everybody. Is there anything I can do to even the odds? Techs are too slow, and I don't see a really big difference between good leaders and bad ones.

"Grand City" means the city is the capital of the province, and the Lord Mayor is the count-level character. In other words, this is a claim on the county-level title, it's just held by a republic, not a noble.

If you press the claim, you'd become the Count of Ormond, the city would be part of your demesne, and the old Lord Mayor's vassals would become your vassals. At that point, you would have the wrong holding type penalty on the city. Assuming you're a Duke or higher, you could then appoint a new Lord Mayor (who would not have the wrong holding type), and he'd be your vassal and pay his taxes to you. He would have the wrong government type modifier, though (republics don't like being under feudal lords), but he's still probably pay you more tax than you'd get on your own.

Right that makes sense, just the way it was worded I thought it was just the city that I had the claim for.
I took Ormond under a Ducal claim in a another game and had the wrong holding penalty I didn't want to give away the county so i just built a Castle there.

Perhaps adding low tier claims single holdings for cities and temples could add an extra dimension to Count level games.

My vassels all shout their levies have been raised for too long. How can I stop them from saying that during war? It seems like in 2 months they get angry about their armies being raised.

My vassels all shout their levies have been raised for too long. How can I stop them from saying that during war? It seems like in 2 months they get angry about their armies being raised.

It's not a major problem. The negative modifier disappears at same rate once you disband. Check your vassals opinion you should be able to crank it up to -20 most times which takes quite a while. If you have any vassals in the red and can afford militarily to disband them then I would but if they're in the green it's not a great problem.

Character IDs

Ok i dont cheat often but im doing it now becasue I want an Irish Empire,but to make a long story short my heir is greatly disliked and i need to kill him and i need his character id to do this can someone direct me where this would be located
thanks yous