• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If a vassal has a -30 for "Wrong Holding Type" does that mean that he has the wrong kind of holding or that I do? If it's him, is there anything I can do about that?
Read meneth's guide. It's sticked at the top of the forum. The short answer is that the character's "type" doesn't match the holding, and there's pretty much nothing you can do to change a character's type, short of revoking his title.

What are the cultural specific buildings?
Certain cultures have access to different buildings that have different effects. The English get super-archers. Italians get more pikemen, etc.

Yes, but what cultures can access what buildings that give what bonuses?

Best way is just to load the game up, you can click on other countries castles and look for yourself.

Briefly
England Archers
Scotland Pikeman
Spain Light Cavalry
France/Germany Heavy Cavalry
Italy Pikeman
Russia Heavy Infantry

Some give bonuses, some take away other troops.

Can you talk me through how to find this , i'm sorry i'm new to modding game files

First, you need to find where you installed CK2. If you got it from GamersGate, you should have told it where to install to. If it's from Steam, it's in Steam/steamapps/common/crusader kings ii.

Then, once in the CK2 folder, find the common folder and the defines.txt file. It's very obvious where the end date is in that file - change it to whatever you like and save.

First, you need to find where you installed CK2. If you got it from GamersGate, you should have told it where to install to. If it's from Steam, it's in Steam/steamapps/common/crusader kings ii.

Then, once in the CK2 folder, find the common folder and the defines.txt file. It's very obvious where the end date is in that file - change it to whatever you like and save.

I installed it from the disk , and its on Steam , but i don't have a steam folder.
I open my documents and i have a paradox interactive folder , then a Crusader Kings II folder , and inside that i have "gfx" , "logs" , "save games" , and 2 text documents named "Saved games" and "Settings"

I installed it from the disk , and its on Steam , but i don't have a steam folder.
I open my documents and i have a paradox interactive folder , then a Crusader Kings II folder , and inside that i have "gfx" , "logs" , "save games" , and 2 text documents named "Saved games" and "Settings"

You don't have a Steam folder? Where do you keep your Steam games? It should be in a directory somewhere - the default is probably C:/Program Files/Steam.

The stuff in My Documents is not what you're looking for. That's where the game keeps the caches and savegames.

You don't have a Steam folder? Where do you keep your Steam games? It should be in a directory somewhere - the default is probably C:/Program Files/Steam.

The stuff in My Documents is not what you're looking for. That's where the game keeps the caches and savegames.

Fantastic , thankyou you have really helped me out loads , as you can tell i am a total noob at editing

Quick question. I (King of Croatia) have held the county Ragusa for years. However, the city of Ragusa is being governed by the Byzantine Empire. Is there a reason for this? Can I get rid of the current ruler?

Quick question. I (King of Croatia) have held the county Ragusa for years. However, the city of Ragusa is being governed by the Byzantine Empire. Is there a reason for this? Can I get rid of the current ruler?

Was emperor your mayor's heir's liege? It should notify you about holding/title passing from your realm, if your duke/count/mayor/bishop's heir has a liege on another realm. You can counter this by assassinating title owner's heir.

If the holding has been passed already, you can declare war to get the title back to your realm.

Last edited:
This has probably already been answered, but,

How do I know whether or not someone will leave my court if I grant them a title? Even with cities it seems like sometimes they leave to go govern and sometimes they don't.

I will try to bait someone in my realm with a high stat by giving them some land and it seems like sometimes they then are accessible as advisers and sometimes not?

Please advise.

This has probably already been answered, but,

How do I know whether or not someone will leave my court if I grant them a title? Even with cities it seems like sometimes they leave to go govern and sometimes they don't.

I will try to bait someone in my realm with a high stat by giving them some land and it seems like sometimes they then are accessible as advisers and sometimes not?

Please advise.
The default is for them to leave. If they are on your council, they will remain in your court (or abroad, if you sent them there). If the are leading troops, the will remain leading the army (and I think they stay on the list of your courtiers) until the army is disbanded. Not sure about other cases.

The city of Ragusa is a direct imperial vassal in the 1066 start dates.

Is it possible to start as the Earl of Buchan and eventually become King of Scotland? I only tried once and was never able to forge a claim on any of my neighbors. I tried that when I was still new to the game though so my Spymaster probably had a horrible intrigue level. Was just wondering if anyone else has successfully risen to power when starting in Buchan.

Is there any way to see other kingdoms/duchies/counts succession laws? Just to plan assassinations and marriages much better...

The only way I know of is to hover over the shield for the territory. It will show you the type of succession and who is in line for it. Unfortunately, you can't click on any names or anything to go directly to the heirs.

I am a duke but also have some county titles. If those counties are elective succession do I get a vote in who inherits it? I know that I get a vote for the kingdom but what about for my own title or subordinate titles I hold?

Few questions:

Can I be a vassal of mongols? Antiochia is not big enough to resist!

Gavelkind A second son can be remove from the succession line by giving him a bishop title. But what can I do with a second or third daughter? Alternatives to killing - please?

It is really impossible to give my one and only King title to my strongest vasall? My King holds only one county. His kingdom is a farce.

Thanks.

Gavelkind A second son can be remove from the succession line by giving him a bishop title. But what can I do with a second or third daughter? Alternatives to killing - please?

It is really impossible to give my one and only King title to my strongest vasall? My King holds only one county. His kingdom is a farce.

Thanks.

To Gavelkind: give your eldest son all the titles :)

To your king: I'd say revoke titles. Or conquer new land... or, what I do sometimes... marry one of your sons to your vassal's daughters. Their children will inherit your vassal's land - this takes quite a long time, but it is the most neatly way I think.