• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In the in-depth guide it says that for an alliance to be long-lasting the other noble must marry into my house, and if I marry into his the alliance will last only a few generations. As an alliance is a mutual thing, I don't see the sense in this. Could someone clarify?

Last edited:
Are there any downsides to holding onto ducal titles as a King?

I just usurped the duchy and kingdom of Aragon as the Duke of Barcelona. My ruler is now two times a duke, as well as a king. Is it a good idea to farm out those dukedoms to underlings, or to hold on to them as long as I can?

Second, what happens when I start conquering stuff from the Andalusians and Moors outside of the de jure Kingdom of Aragon? Do the Emirates become duchies under the kingdom of Aragon? Do I usurp the de jure Kindoms down there? What happens precisely?

I just usurped the duchy and kingdom of Aragon as the Duke of Barcelona. My ruler is now two times a duke, as well as a king. Is it a good idea to farm out those dukedoms to underlings, or to hold on to them as long as I can?

Second, what happens when I start conquering stuff from the Andalusians and Moors outside of the de jure Kingdom of Aragon? Do the Emirates become duchies under the kingdom of Aragon? Do I usurp the de jure Kindoms down there? What happens precisely?

Once you hold more than two duchies, your relations with your vassals take a -10 hit for each duchy over the limit you hold. It can really mount up - for example, if you hold ten, then every vassal has a -80 opinion penalty of you.

In the in-depth guide it says that for an alliance to be long-lasting the other noble must marry into my house, and if I marry into his the alliance will last only a few generations. As an alliance is a mutual thing, I don't see the sense in this. Could someone clarify?
There are two types of alliances--close relative alliances, and same-dynasty alliances. The first last for as long as you are close relative, the second last as long as both parties are part of the same dynasty. So if you get your dynasty installed in another realm, the alliance can potentially last forever. If you marry someone of a different dynasty or marry your sister to them in a normal marriage, you get a close relative alliance, but your heirs are going to be of different dynasties, breaking the alliance.

1) There's no real downside to keeping 2 ducal titles. More than that, and your vassals get unhappy.
2) The emirates = duchies, so you can usurp/create titles as usual. The Kingdom title, however, is Muslim-only. So as you expand outside the de jure Christian kingdoms, the new territory will become de facto part of your primary Kingdom.

How does the marriage inheritance system work? How do I get claim on some kingdom, duchy or count? Is there a peaceful solution to get land (Like some duke's son's liege is my king and he will become my duke when his liege dies)?

How does the marriage inheritance system work? How do I get claim on some kingdom, duchy or count? Is there a peaceful solution to get land (Like some duke's son's liege is my king and he will become my duke when his liege dies)?
Yes, you can marry your way into land. For example, if you marry a duchess (and neither of you have any children already), then your children with her will be heirs to both of your lands. Claims work the same way, you just need to check if the claim is inheritable. So, for example, if that duchess also had an inheritable claim on a kingdom, then your children would inherit it along with her lands when she dies.

Money, good relations to vassals (=levies & money), mercs you buy with money, orders you buy with piety and money, good alliances, assassination of the enemy to bring chaos to his realm.

Not helping I hav tryed few times now... Portugal isen't enought rich to up keep mercs long and vassals levies are too low, I can't even make allace with so short of time or call them because Portugal starts as duchy.

Not helping I hav tryed few times now... Portugal isen't enought rich to up keep mercs long and vassals levies are too low, I can't even make allace with so short of time or call them because Portugal starts as duchy.

Swear fealty to a Kingdom. Leon of even Mauretania! That way they have to declare on your liege in order to attack you.

Once you hold more than two duchies, your relations with your vassals take a -10 hit for each duchy over the limit you hold. It can really mount up - for example, if you hold ten, then every vassal has a -80 opinion penalty of you.

1) There's no real downside to keeping 2 ducal titles. More than that, and your vassals get unhappy.
2) The emirates = duchies, so you can usurp/create titles as usual. The Kingdom title, however, is Muslim-only. So as you expand outside the de jure Christian kingdoms, the new territory will become de facto part of your primary Kingdom.

Okay, thanks guys, that's good to know.
Follow up question:
Is it better to spread your demesne over the territory of several duchies, or to concentrate it within one duchy which you are the duke of?
I'm worried that dukes might start wanting certain counties that are part of their duchy but are presently part of my demesne. That seems to happen if you retain the direct vassalage of a holding in a county which you have given to a local count.

Peasent Uprisings

As king of France i have secured Normandy and some other De Jure lands. Next im working on Brittany.

However these pesky peasent uprisings keep happening!!! Some are pretty large! They are all over the country. What am i doing wrong??

My vassals all have good relationships with me, my taxes are LOW... So im not sure whats causing/

It might be idiotball vassals with events. Also, check if Franks are running Occitain counties and vice versa, since that also gives a 1% RR, and just sheer bad luck. Check the counties that are revolting and hover over their RR. There should be a delayed tooltip that explains what the hell's going on.

Is there a way to change a county's capital? I would like to make a number of bishoprics or city states, but pretty much all my holdings have a barony as the capita, and I don't want to put a vassal bishop or mayor in the position of having the "wrong holding type" penalty.