• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A lot depends on the list of claimants (when you get the 'you have a new monarch' screen) and how powerful they are and how they feel about your new character. Over a very long reign, you can build up a nice, fat 'long reign' modifier with all your vassals and a new monarch gets a 'short reign' modifier that counts down every year. And if you do have harsh laws that makes matters worse. I think that dukes who have claims to the de jure kingdom that they are part of will make that claim pretty often.

Well my brothers stay loyal, the problem is those pesky dukes, that has no claim what so ever wants to constanly lower authority of the crown, will they never learn? The size of my land is big i get a lot of prestige. after each civil war that happens every single time i change crown i have over 3000 prestige. I Always give my heir duke title early on.

I had a plan as Duke of Bavaria to be the best vassal the HRE ever had. I'd help keep the empire stable until we hit High Crown Authority, then switch the primogeniture. At that point I had every plan to turn on my liege and ensure that the HRE remained weak and elective until the end of the game. Imagine my surprise when after a few "Lower Crown Authority" civil wars, everyone in the empire switches *back* to gavelkind. This is obviously WAD, but is this the way it's going to remain? It makes playing a primogeniture dukedom a choice between endless boring service under a high-authority liege, or a constant inheritance dance with a low-authority liege.

Thoughts?

I made a promise to a member of my family to give them a landed title (I was just about to winn a religious war), but I can't remember who...

Is there a way to figure this out without going thru the list of courtier to find the modifier?

Why are people randomly (seemingly) joining my court? I'm a duke of HRE and two men have joined my court. One Norse Pagan and one Lithuanian Pagan. Neither are married. Since they are different cultures and religions than myself I of course hate them and they hate me. Why and how did they join my court? What would be the best way to get rid of them?

I'm very confused about the game and has many questions:

1) I can spend gold to invite Nobles and Females to my Court. What does this do? I can arrange a marriage for the females but what's the point of that?

2) I can create Holdings in my vassal's lands for 700ish gold. Once the construction is done, the Holdings belong to me first.. but it says the holder is holding the wrong type of land. Who is supposed to hold what? I have the option to create new Vassal. I tried this once but his heir is my half-brother who hates me.. wtf? Or is it better if I give it random nobles at my court?

3) How do you win a war? I go to war with my brother, attacked his capital and won the siege. The land then becomes /////. Now what? Do I have to do the same to every piece of land he has?

4) How do you form a duchy? I've a son who was just born and want to give him some land. But I can only give him individual counties.

5) How do you tute your own son? The guide says you should tute your own son but I've no idea how.

Last edited:
I made a promise to a member of my family to give them a landed title (I was just about to winn a religious war), but I can't remember who...

Is there a way to figure this out without going thru the list of courtier to find the modifier?
There will eventually be an event where they "remind you" of your promise.

Why are people randomly (seemingly) joining my court? I'm a duke of HRE and two men have joined my court. One Norse Pagan and one Lithuanian Pagan. Neither are married. Since they are different cultures and religions than myself I of course hate them and they hate me. Why and how did they join my court? What would be the best way to get rid of them?
You probably own a holding in a province of those cultures and religion. Courtiers are randomly generated in all the holdings throughout the game, and they usually take on the culture and religion of the province. You can banish them. I'd just marry them off to other pagans. If your holdings still have the wrong-relgion/culture modifiers, though, they can be useful. A pagan mayor who hates you is still better than a co-religionist getting massive penalties. And they'll eventually be replaced by proper catholics.

I'm very confused about the game and has many questions:

1) I can spend gold to invite Nobles and Females to my Court. What does this do? I can arrange a marriage for the females but what's the point of that?

2) I can create Holdings in my vassal's lands for 700ish gold. Once the construction is done, the Holdings belong to me first.. but it says the holder is holding the wrong type of land. Who is supposed to hold what? I have the option to create new Vassal. I tried this once but his heir is my half-brother who hates me.. wtf? Or is it better if I give it random nobles at my court?

3) How do you win a war? I go to war with my brother, attacked his capital and won the siege. The land then becomes /////. Now what? Do I have to do the same to every piece of land he has?

4) How do you form a duchy? I've a son who was just born and want to give him some land. But I can only give him individual counties.

5) How do you tute your own son? The guide says you should tute your own son but I've no idea how.
1) You use those decisions when you can't find anyone to marry your courtiers, or when you can't get anyone competent for a council spot through normal means.
2) http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?590681-FAQ-Wrong-Holding-Government-Type&highlight=faq+wrong+holding
3) Yes, well not everything, but enough for him to give up. You'll see the warscore go up with every captured holding won battle etc. (battles give you a one-time bonus, possession of land gives you bonus that gets bigger the longer you hold it). Eventually he'll realize that he's lost. If you go to the offer peace screen and hover the mouse over the send button, you'll see what he's thinking.
4) You need to a) own 50% of the county titles in the de jure duchy, and b) spend some money.
5) Educate child diplomatic option. To select your own kid use it on him or on you. You have to wait until he's 6 though--that's the earliest you can start tutoring kids.

What should I do with my genius daughter? I usually marry my daughters off for the prestige, but I'd like to keep her in family, in case she can start a line of geniuses. Should I just eat the prestige and marry her matrilinearly to a courtier? She's far enough down the line that she won't be a pretender, but she still will have claims.

How do you view which county belong to which duchy and which duchy belong to which kingdom?

I worded that question confusingly XD

Somehow I received an option to create Kingdom of Portugal. So I did it. But now I've no idea which counties/duchys are part of Portugal and what do I do with this new Kingdom of Portugal?

How do you convert a different culture and religion to yours? I just conquered Sevilla and it was originally a Muslim.

How do you view which county belong to which duchy and which duchy belong to which kingdom?

I worded that question confusingly XD

Somehow I received an option to create Kingdom of Portugal. So I did it. But now I've no idea which counties/duchys are part of Portugal and what do I do with this new Kingdom of Portugal?

Use the De Jure Duchies and De Jure Kingdoms map-modes.

How do you convert a different culture and religion to yours? I just conquered Sevilla and it was originally a Muslim.

Culture will change by itself, leave it alone for a bit and after a long time it may change culture.

As for religion, send your Court Chaplain to the province with the "Head Local Inquisition" job. He will convert the province and anyone there to your religion. Can take a long time.

How long to Jihads last? I took the Kingdom of Israel from the Caliphate, and they declared a Jihad for it some time back. And now its just been constant war with one Muslim country at a time. I ALWAYS win because they will send about 10,000 men to face my 40,000 men. To avoid the dreaded attrition I have to split my army so it requires a bit of micromanagement, while my 20K army can beat their 10K ones, it will take losses I dont agree with,,,etc etc. I slaughter them each and every time. And yet, one by one, one war ends, another declares war...i steamroll them, they surrender I get +200 prestige. Its been like 200 years of this non stop. At this point im so frustratedly bored with the game because of this, since its hard to keep track of your family while your micromanaging armies constantly, im thinking of just surrendering the holy land just to end this troll of a jihad system.

How do reinforcements work? Is there only a limited number of troops of each type in my entire demesne? I've noticed the heavy cavalry in my secondary holdings takes forever to reinforce. And even in my capital, it seems slower than the other troop types.

Will this get rid of my Antipope completely as this is what i want to do?.....I no longer want one as heresy is becoming an issue
Yes, both ways should get rid of the antipope. Revocation turns him into a random courtier, successfully pressing his claim on the papacy turns him into the regular pope, while the antipapacy ceases to exist.

Regarding heresies, I don't know if it's applicable for you, but a successful crusade raises moral authority by about 15 percent. That's how I'm keeping the negative effects of my antipope somewhat in check in my current game.

How do I crusade. There is a crusade happening but I can tsee what I have to do to join it. If i do join, can i just not send troops, just say I am joining :)

Hi there, uber stupid question:

- How do I educate my children? My heir is already 5 and I can't find a way to educate him.

Wait till he/she is six then click educate child in diplomacy

How do I crusade. There is a crusade happening but I can tsee what I have to do to join it. If i do join, can i just not send troops, just say I am joining :)
If you hover your mouse over the crusade flag on the left side of the screen, a tool tip should tell you what the target province is. Go to that province and figure out who the top liege of it is. Declare war on that character using the "crusade" CB (not the regular "holy war" one). You are now officially crusading.

Note that there are penalties for white peace or surrendering, as with any other CB. So, while you can "crusade" without actually doing anything, it might cost you some prestige and piety in the end.