• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Does the game include posthumous heirs? I.e. if a ruler dies while his wife is pregnant, and the fetus could potentially be his primary heir, then there is an interregnum. This happened quite a few times during the CK2 timeframe.

It bugged me that the dynasty of Svend II of Denmark and his entire brood was Ylving, instead of Knytling like it was in CK1. So I changed it back. Does this make me a bad person?
Not if you remember to send all your problems to the church. :D

Does the game include posthumous heirs? I.e. if a ruler dies while his wife is pregnant, and the fetus could potentially be his primary heir, then there is an interregnum. This happened quite a few times during the CK2 timeframe.
Posthumous births happen, but the game can't really represent interregnums (interregni?), since every title has to be held by a character at any time or it ceases to exist. There is no "placeholder" mechanic.

Not if you remember to send all your problems to the church. :D

Posthumous births happen, but the game can't really represent interregnums (interregni?), since every title has to be held by a character at any time or it ceases to exist. There is no "placeholder" mechanic.

Although I have seen a history of some titles state (NO HOLDER) in them. Usually when occupied and then a rebel force takes the place. So it's sorta kinda in the game already.

Is there any way of getting the knights templar or any other order as your vassals?

And if you vassalize a determined mercenary unit, will anyone be able to still recruit them?

I granted a barony in Jerusalem to the leader of the Hospitalers I had hired. They did not show me as liege, but displayed their own escutcheon as an independent power. Shortly thereafter, while I was not paying attention, they took over Hebron from its former owners - it had been Orthodox but under Muslim attack when I last looked. Then it was all Hospitaler crosses. and they were aloof (though their mercs wire hirable from the mercenary list.

I granted a barony in Jerusalem to the leader of the Hospitalers I had hired. They did not show me as liege, but displayed their own escutcheon as an independent power. Shortly thereafter, while I was not paying attention, they took over Hebron from its former owners - it had been Orthodox but under Muslim attack when I last looked. Then it was all Hospitaler crosses. and they were aloof (though their mercs wire hirable from the mercenary list.

As far as I'm aware you can't vasalise them, just grant them their own land. Although I do think they are cheaper if you do give them some land.

As far as I'm aware you can't vasalise them, just grant them their own land. Although I do think they are cheaper if you do give them some land.

It's a bit trickier than it should be AFAIK. You can grant them land then vassalize them if you are both of the same exact culture, so if you want to vassalize the Hospitallers you have to be Italian or Frankish for the Templars.

1. How does the mercenary payment system work. Is a 75 gold listing, for example, a one-time payment or monthly or semi-monthly? My experience has been all over the map. Sometimes they demand more gold after just one month, sometimes I've had mercenary armies continue fighting for several months without any additional gold being drawn out of my treasury.

2. Are there are any symbols or anything to indicate if a marriage is matralinial?

#2: Hover mouse over the marriage icon (rings) inbetween the couple. It'll say Regular or matrilineal in the tooltip.

2. Are there are any symbols or anything to indicate if a marriage is matralinial?

Yes, the marriage icon differs slightly, for regular marriage the male (Mars) symbol goes first, for a matrilineal marriage the female (Venus) symbol goes first.

One of the requirements for changing a de jure kingdom's succession laws is for no vassals (of sufficient rank) to have a negative opinion of you. Does this mean only vassals that are within that de jure kingdom, or does it refer to all vassals within the king's de facto holdings? For instance, if I were king of England and Ireland, loved by all Irish vassals but hated by several English vassals, would I be able to change the succession laws in Ireland?

How is the dynasty of a character decided? I thought a character would always belong to his/her fathers dynasty, but I was recently playing a game where I was ruling Scotland as Dunkeld and after having a few kings ending up dead without sons and instead passing on the throne to their brothers I finally got a king with a son. Unfortuneately it turned out that said son was not part of my dynasty and instead belonged to his mothers dynasty. Could someone please explain how that could have happened? I feel like I'm missing out on something.

I did eventually solve my crisis by killing my sonand my wife and marrying a young very fertile lady. :wub:

One of the requirements for changing a de jure kingdom's succession laws is for no vassals (of sufficient rank) to have a negative opinion of you. Does this mean only vassals that are within that de jure kingdom, or does it refer to all vassals within the king's de facto holdings? For instance, if I were king of England and Ireland, loved by all Irish vassals but hated by several English vassals, would I be able to change the succession laws in Ireland?

Just within the de jure borders. So you would be able to change the irish laws, yes.

Ducal Promingeniture

I am currently playing as the Duke of Lancaster, and after King William died, I declared independence from England and won.

Now, I am trying to implement primogeniture succession law, but the only option available is elective... All the conditions are met except the crown authority of England... but I am independent so what does England's authority matter?

Am I missing something else here, or is this a bug?

How is the dynasty of a character decided? I thought a character would always belong to his/her fathers dynasty, but I was recently playing a game where I was ruling Scotland as Dunkeld and after having a few kings ending up dead without sons and instead passing on the throne to their brothers I finally got a king with a son. Unfortuneately it turned out that said son was not part of my dynasty and instead belonged to his mothers dynasty. Could someone please explain how that could have happened? I feel like I'm missing out on something.

I did eventually solve my crisis by killing my sonand my wife and marrying a young very fertile lady. :wub:

You seem to have accidentally got yourself into a matrilineal marriage. Read the offers carefully, it's a common mistake to make.

I am currently playing as the Duke of Lancaster, and after King William died, I declared independence from England and won.

Now, I am trying to implement primogeniture succession law, but the only option available is elective... All the conditions are met except the crown authority of England... but I am independent so what does England's authority matter?

Am I missing something else here, or is this a bug?

As you are a de jure part of an existing kingdom (England) that countries crown laws apply to you even though you are independent.

If you were an independent duke where there was no existing de jure kingdom (Ireland or Rus for example) then this wouldn't matter.

As you are a de jure part of an existing kingdom (England) that countries crown laws apply to you even though you are independent.

If you were an independent duke where there was no existing de jure kingdom (Ireland or Rus for example) then this wouldn't matter.

Well that is annoying, thanks for your fast reply!

I'm King of Aargon and had been spoiled with a very long-lived king. Now I've cycled through 2 in a decade and had the insuing succession wars. What can I do to prepare for the succession? I keep my vassals on weak holdings and mostly happy, but last time I got a new king 8-10 said, "Smell you later." I can smoosh them, but I'd rather not have to do this all the time.

I'm King of Aargon and had been spoiled with a very long-lived king. Now I've cycled through 2 in a decade and had the insuing succession wars. What can I do to prepare for the succession? I keep my vassals on weak holdings and mostly happy, but last time I got a new king 8-10 said, "Smell you later." I can smoosh them, but I'd rather not have to do this all the time.

Lax levy and tax laws can be a good way to keep vassals in check. You might be tempted to get as much out of your long reign bonus by bumping up the laws to extract more money from them, but it will burn you when you switch over to your heir and the vassals are less than impressed. Lowering them during your sunset years in preparation can be a good move (or just keeping them low in general and not taking the chance).

In one game, I had an aging duchess who was adored by her vassals for her traits and long reign. I knew it wasn't going to last forever and I noticed one of my counts had managed to hold a good chunk of my realm. So what did I do? I threw the countess into jail under false charges and banished her from my realm. Diplomacy and long reign counteracted the negative effects (Diplomacy is the bestest stat by the way, just saying). I did have a minor count throw a fit at this and rebel so I took his title too. Made the transition to my heir much smoother. Of course, he then had a less than stellar reign when his wife cheated on him and he died young before producing an heir, but what are ya gonna do?

You can horde honorary titles, and keep a prisoner in your dungeon. That way your heir can do a bunch of things to improve relations in the first week of his reign. Even better, if the ages work out, is to have your heir mentor your most important vassal's heirs. That way, he may have their family hostage, or get the mentor relations bonus.