• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is there any way of getting the knights templar or any other order as your vassals?

And if you vassalize a determined mercenary unit, will anyone be able to still recruit them?

I am playing in Hungary, having started as the Count of Fejer. I then took Pecs, and claimed the Duke of Pecs as I now had 50% of the required counties. There are two counties left, Vas & Szekesfehervar to conquer. I lay siege to Szekesfehervar, take both City, and Bishopric. I am at a warscore of at 100%, but yet the defender doesn't wave the white flag. I have fast forward six months and nothing has changed. In the end I have had to disband my armies as the weight of money lose each month was too great to bare.

Any idea on why he won't surrender?

I find I have to beat any remaining army he has pretty well before he will take peace, in addition to the warscore. If he has an army still standing, he has hope.

I will lose 5 counties when I die to my two sons. Anything I can do?

1) change inheritance laws
2) Kill them
3) make them a bishop/mayor.
4) give all the counties to your eldest son.

Playing as Gwent, I keep watching England change hands. It became France briefly, then with the death of Geoffrey the Great (great name :D), England went to his son, France to the next male heir.

Is it possible to get a message (like in EU3) when territory changes hands etc.? If so, how? I don't want this constant random changes without knowing why or how or when.

Also, when waiting for a person to die, do you just have to keep on looking if there is no connexion to your dynasty?

My 20-skill chancellor has been fabricating claims at the same spot for 10 years without results now, does anyone know if there's any bugs with this or something?

That's just bad luck, but it's not impossible. It would be about a 10% chance of failure over a full two decades.

Do the stats of your vassals have any effect on their ability to govern a county for you like in EU Rome? Would it be better to appoint mayors with high stewardship? Or a high martial guy to control a muslim province? Or is opinion all that matters in choosing vassals?

Do the stats of your vassals have any effect on their ability to govern a county for you like in EU Rome? Would it be better to appoint mayors with high stewardship? Or a high martial guy to control a muslim province? Or is opinion all that matters in choosing vassals?

Since your taxes are a % of their income from their provinces, stewardship is a good stat for a vassal because it leads to you getting more money from them. Higher learning means that the tech in their provinces will grow faster. High intrigue means they will be better at assassinating yo... maybe you should leave out high intrigue.

How is it decided who leads your troops? My Marshall is available in my capital and has a better Martial rating than my character but when I raise my local levies it puts my character in charge. How do I get the Marshall to lead the troops?

If you have at least the second rank of crown law set (which may or may not be up to you) you can click the name in the army box (when you aren't sieging) and get a pop up to replace him with someone else.

How to I obtain a "Valid Casus Belli"? Please

You or someone in your court must have a claim to a title. Claims can be gained through inheritance, event, or de jure ducal holdings. You may also send your Chancellor to forge claims on a territory you'd like.

Religious enemies (pagans, muslims, heretics, and the excommunicated) may be attacked at any time.

An invasion CB may be requested if you have a good relationship with the Pope and your target does not.

You or someone in your court must have a claim to a title. Claims can be gained through inheritance, event, or de jure ducal holdings. You may also send your Chancellor to forge claims on a territory you'd like.

Religious enemies (pagans, muslims, heretics, and the excommunicated) may be attacked at any time.

An invasion CB may be requested if you have a good relationship with the Pope and your target does not.

One more possibility is to invite someone with a claim on the desired province to your court, but then one should be careful that the claimant will indeed become a vassal instead of independent after pressing the claim. To invite someone, click the heraldry of the target title, and check the tab "Claimants". If someone has a green icon (thumb?) in their portrait, that means they'll accept your invitation.

Is it somehow possible to see how or to what your main character or other characters have died? Disease, assasins...

Thanks!

To my knowledge the only way would be to check the save file. Although you sometimes get notified if your character was assassinated, depends on your (spymaster's?) intrigue.

It bugged me that the dynasty of Svend II of Denmark and his entire brood was Ylving, instead of Knytling like it was in CK1. So I changed it back. Does this make me a bad person?