• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thanks.

1. No you have to be Emperor of HRE or Byzantine Emperor.

So it is a bad idea to create new kingdom titles I guess. It may be good for your current king and to get more prestige but in the end it will be more difficult for your heir to be accepted, as soon as he becomes the new king.

Oh and how to avoid other heirs to claim the king title as well? There is always a war between the heirs, who do not accept each other as the new leader.

Step 3 make sure your heir has high diplomacy

How? By assigning a teacher, who is very good at diplomacy?

In singleplayer, pop-ups pause the game and, unlike EU3, the game cannot be unpaused until a decision is made with the popup. Is there any way to prevent the pop-ups from pausing the game? I am relatively confident that I could not adjust the message options to solve this problem. Has anyone else succeeded?

What is the best way to change your main culture? My Sicilian king became Georgian for some reason and I would want to become Italian to minimize culture penalty, plus Greek culture doesn't seem to have any special buildings (Like Italian pikemen)

As I understand it, the culture of an individual is dependent upon who educates him. So make sure that your heir is educated by an Italian (or a specific Italian culture) and your heir will adopt that culture.

What is the best way to change your main culture? My Sicilian king became Georgian for some reason and I would want to become Italian to minimize culture penalty, plus Greek culture doesn't seem to have any special buildings (Like Italian pikemen)

Send the child to a tutor of that culture. Almost guaranteed to change religion/culture, except when you want it to of course...

I couldn't find anything in the OM about this, so I though I'd ask. It's about 1200. I started as count of Lausitz in the HRE in 1066, now I'm a duke with a realm of about 35+, but I noticed that last time I loaded my game up .... there were no more mercenaries to recruit. Go to the military tab, tab over to mercenaries, and it's just blank.

- Religious orders are still there and recruitable, but not mercenaries.
- Is this a consequence of crown authority? That's the only reason I can think of.

Being a part of the HRE is nice since nobody can fuck with you, but it really starts to get annoying when you can only raise a fraction of your levies due to crown authority, you can't recruit mercenaries, and any reasonably attractive target in Europe has already been absorbed by the massive grey blob that the HRE has become (spreading into England, North Africa and France).

Any thoughts on this one?

In singleplayer, pop-ups pause the game and, unlike EU3, the game cannot be unpaused until a decision is made with the popup. Is there any way to prevent the pop-ups from pausing the game? I am relatively confident that I could not adjust the message options to solve this problem. Has anyone else succeeded?

Not sure how to fix it I can mention though that in multiplayer popup do not pause the game. So there must be a way to stop them.

My heir is outside my court and I have not married him off. Does this mean now that I can only suggest a marriage to someone from within my court. I no longer have the rings to click on and when i try and arrange marriage it only give me courtiers from my own court. If that is true, do they ever get married by themselves?

My heir is outside my court and I have not married him off. Does this mean now that I can only suggest a marriage to someone from within my court. I no longer have the rings to click on and when i try and arrange marriage it only give me courtiers from my own court. If that is true, do they ever get married by themselves?

They will eventually find someone to marry themselves. They almost always pick badly, though.

How is it decided who leads your troops? My Marshall is available in my capital and has a better Martial rating than my character but when I raise my local levies it puts my character in charge. How do I get the Marshall to lead the troops?

I was wondering if you have a CB to press your spouse's claims if:

A: They are your vassal or courtier.

B: They are a independant ruler.

C: They are someone else's vassal.

Only if A. and the spouse is male (maybe absolute agnatic inheritance law allows pressing claims for women, but usually that's impossible.)

2. How to avoid my kingdom to break apart when my king dies. It is always a pain in the butt. I always save money, so that my new ruler can bribe all people to calm down. Is there any better way to avoid this?

In addition to other methods mentioned such as titles, gifts, and mercy to prisoners, you could hold a great tournament (1 per reign) or other event and you could go on a cautious crusade (which has a positive effect on opinion).

About lands: is there any good to keep a grand city or a prince-bishopric as they are, or is it always best to transform them to a county? Does the county main holding add some value to that holding, or the only difference between a county, a prince-bishopric and a city is the main holding with no other in game effects?

I am playing in Hungary, having started as the Count of Fejer. I then took Pecs, and claimed the Duke of Pecs as I now had 50% of the required counties. There are two counties left, Vas & Szekesfehervar to conquer. I lay siege to Szekesfehervar, take both City, and Bishopric. I am at a warscore of at 100%, but yet the defender doesn't wave the white flag. I have fast forward six months and nothing has changed. In the end I have had to disband my armies as the weight of money lose each month was too great to bare.

Any idea on why he won't surrender?

I am playing in Hungary, having started as the Count of Fejer. I then took Pecs, and claimed the Duke of Pecs as I now had 50% of the required counties. There are two counties left, Vas & Szekesfehervar to conquer. I lay siege to Szekesfehervar, take both City, and Bishopric. I am at a warscore of at 100%, but yet the defender doesn't wave the white flag. I have fast forward six months and nothing has changed. In the end I have had to disband my armies as the weight of money lose each month was too great to bare.

Any idea on why he won't surrender?

Honestly, no. But, are you talking about an offer from him that still won't come, or have you actually tried to offering him peace with "Enforce terms"? (don't know if it's the right text, however the first button of the three)