• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I formed the Kingdom of Sicily as Apulia and changed my papal investiture crown law to free so I could fix some troublesome bishops while simultaneously disinheriting my sons to prevent my kingdom from splitting up (robert is still rocking at 78 though). When I go to increase my other crown law it just says "you can only change one crown law" so am I completely screwed for the entire time Robert runs Sicily? I have no plots to raise it there's no expiration date on when it wears off. Should I have gone to limited crown authority first then changed the papal succession later? I assume when Robert dies his son will be able to finally change it?
Yeah, you'll have to wait for his son. In my current Sicily game, I waited on Free Investiture, because the Prince-Bishop of Benevento and the Pope are always going to hate each other anyway so long as the Pope has that barony in the county so I already had one bishop in my pocket. But, I had already changed my succession law prior to forming the Kingdom, so I didn't need the power to get rid of 2nd sons.

Does anyone know how I can see the Crown Authority of an Empire, not ruled by me?

I founded the Kingdom of Jerusalem and the Byzantine Emperor asked me to change Crown Authority to low. However, I couldn't seem to find anywhere what Crown Authority the Byzantine Empire had at that moment, so it could be autonomous vassals or Medium Crown Authority. Because I have my own Kingdom with its own laws, Byzantine crown laws don't seem to affect me, so I can't find any modifiers from which I could detuct their Crown Authority either.

Yeah, you'll have to wait for his son. In my current Sicily game, I waited on Free Investiture, because the Prince-Bishop of Benevento and the Pope are always going to hate each other anyway so long as the Pope has that barony in the county so I already had one bishop in my pocket. But, I had already changed my succession law prior to forming the Kingdom, so I didn't need the power to get rid of 2nd sons.

Yeah I didn't realize it'd block me from raising my authority and I wanted to create an anti-pope which I did. I'm not sure exactly how anti-pope works though. Do you get a percentage of the money the anti-pope gets or all of it? Is there a place to see?

With the invasion CB is the war suppossed to end when the attacking King dies?
I thought it did but the King of France died yet the war against me continued, not sure if my game's bugged or not

The war ends if the CB ends (in many cases the attacking forces end their attack when their leader dies, because the leader's claim is what the war is all about. If the King of France is pushing one of his vassal's claims, the war will continue under his heir. Not sure how the Invasion CB works, that's the one you ask the pope for, right? No idea)

Originally Posted by DrLulz View Post
Can you change the main holding in a province?

E.g. Hamburg's main holding is a church and I want it to be a barony, so I can have it for myself without penalties.

If you build a castle holding in Hamburg and own it it will become the primary holding. I did this as Munster with the 'Free City' province that begins in their realm.

Does converting to pagansim give you access to warrior cult?
And does culture shifting to Cumans, etc. give you access to their special building?

Yes and yes. I have done both.

The Cumans' special building is "Riding Grounds" which give cavalry. Careful - these buildings will be destroyed if you change culture or religion.

There is no Kingdom of Spain in the game. Leon, Castile, and Aragon will remain legally separate unless you change something via modding (beware of the balancing consequences if you pursue this though).
To hell with balancing, I took over Iberia as the French. Vive la France! zg9BR.jpg

That is a very impressive Wales you got there. Unless it's a pre Hastings start.

It was a pre hastings start, although its a saxon kingdom. You see, what happened was that there was a war of independence of Lanchester and the Duke of Normandy was also the king of england. I decided hey, whiles he is occupied with that why not increase the size of my realm? I took Normandy and it weakened the english to such a point that they were able to break off from the crown. They then took over wales and declared themselves the king of whales because they have not decided to finish the former dukes of normandy off.

What is the point in creating duchys other than being able to press claim on demenses you dont own and getting the 200 prestige? it seems to make more tension with the vassals than being worth it, and being king atleast i can hold more than 2 dutchies anyways...

I was thinking maybe this gave more taxation, but so far I cant see any..

and is it possible to breed geniuses and strong people into my bloodline or is it just random percent?

There is no Kingdom of Spain in the game. Leon, Castile, and Aragon will remain legally separate unless you change something via modding (beware of the balancing consequences if you pursue this though).

I have seen most of spain unified under one of those kingdoms though. I think what happened is since all the JImena are interrelated that the kings of Leon/Castille died out and Galicia ended up with everything west of Aragon.

Is combat basically just a numbers game (whoever has more, wins)? For example, I had an army of 5k with a competent leader defending in hills across a river in Nice. The enemy had 15k and I thought, ok I will probably lose but I'll make a dent in their army maybe kill half of them... No, they lost only 2k and my army was routed for all but 500 men. This seems a tad ridiculous to me. Especially considering the terrain I was in.

Is combat basically just a numbers game (whoever has more, wins)? For example, I had an army of 5k with a competent leader defending in hills across a river in Nice. The enemy had 15k and I thought, ok I will probably lose but I'll make a dent in their army maybe kill half of them... No, they lost only 2k and my army was routed for all but 500 men. This seems a tad ridiculous to me. Especially considering the terrain I was in.

Try the guide stickied at the top of the forum. Meneth goes into a lot of detail about how combat works.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?589469-GUIDE-In-depth-Guide-to-CKII