• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Bumping my question again from 4 and 2 pages ago, if someone could answer that'd be great cause it's still happening. I have a duke that keeps on starting his own wars even under max crown authority... details below.

Crown Authority doesn't stop counts from fighting their dukes, just dukes from fighting each other or independent counts.

Crown Authority doesn't stop counts from fighting their dukes, just dukes from fighting each other or independent counts.

That's what's happening tho, I have my dukes declaring war on my other dukes in wars for duchy titles. Also, my dukes ARE declaring war on indepentant counts/dukes. The duke of normandy (my vassal) just went to war with a duke in france...

I think my question fits well in this thread...
So, I was a count in a lonely county. After a while, I switch inheritance law to elective, and nominate my son. Soon, my count dies and my son, the nominated heir is elected and my new character. I nominate my son as my heir. Then I attacked and gain a new county (claim war).
And then my character dies in a crusade fighting for the queen. My son (11 years old) is elected and I get to play him.
And now I notice that my first county has elective law, and the second primogeniture, and a warning that I will lose my first country (the electors favor someone else) but not the second.
Is this normal? To have different succession laws in different counties?

I noticed a lot of people talking about getting people with claims to your court and then getting marriages. How are you locating people with claims? I don't see anything in the search screen to indicate claims.

If you click on a title (COA) you will get a window showing the de jure vassals. In this window right next to the history button there is a "claimants" button which shows all the claimants to this title and their willingness to join your court.

Thanks War. I noticed as Armagnac that I instituted elective through a plot then i declared stealing crown from my liege. (i went for duke of aquitaine) I captured bordeux and a couple others (i'm in gascogne duchy) and i forced him to accept but instead of making me the duke some guy called robert got it.

"The Armagnacs War to depose Duke Emmanuel of Aquitaine has ended. Duke Emmanuel of Aquiaine abdicates to Count Robert of Auvergne" I assume it went to him because I screwed up and should have fought him for the duchy of gascogne title? I didn't get the option though only aquitaine ;/

It seems to me that you picked the "Depose liege" casus belli. In that case after winning you don't get the title in question, instead your liege will be replace by the member of his dynasty your character likes the most (the tool-tips are your friend).

That's what's happening tho, I have my dukes declaring war on my other dukes in wars for duchy titles. Also, my dukes ARE declaring war on indepentant counts/dukes. The duke of normandy (my vassal) just went to war with a duke in france...

Is he under a different de jure kingdom, and thus a different set of crown laws?

For example you could have max crown authority in England but a vassal duke of yours in France would still be able to dow people if France had autonomous vassals...

Can you convert to Muslim or Pagan by an event or something?

If so, how?

If I rule 2 duchies, and my wife rules 2 duchies, and we both have Gavelkind, and we have 2 sons, is there any way to arrange it so our 1st son gets my duchies, and the 2nd son gets hers? Right now it seems like each of our estates are going to be split in half.

Can you convert to Muslim or Pagan by an event or something?

If so, how?
Not sure if there's any way to convert as an adult, but you can have your heir tutored by a Muslim and he'll probably become one.

If I rule 2 duchies, and my wife rules 2 duchies, and we both have Gavelkind, and we have 2 sons, is there any way to arrange it so our 1st son gets my duchies, and the 2nd son gets hers? Right now it seems like each of our estates are going to be split in half.

Not sure if there's any way to convert as an adult, but you can have your heir tutored by a Muslim and he'll probably become one.

no.

It seems to me that you picked the "Depose liege" casus belli. In that case after winning you don't get the title in question, instead your liege will be replace by the member of his dynasty your character likes the most (the tool-tips are your friend).

I play at 2560x1600 so some of the tooltips are quite small. The guys name and my name were similar enough that I read it as mine.

I tried to make the guy give me the duchy of gascogne but he kept saying "god will reward you eventually". I should have just declared independence when I fought him then I would have been directly under Phillip (who loves me like a son) and I expect with 50% of Gascogne I then could have usurped the duchy title from him right?

i have built a few new cities, but dont see any increase in tax returns is it because they need to populate or what.

Cities and castles are fully formed and identical to all other cities and castles when completed, which takes two years (?). The only form of building up they do is what gets built in them.

If you kept the cities, they'll be in your tax tab on the right, middle of the screen (I keep that open permanently). Keeping new cities is the default, you're the title holder until you give it away. The tax receipt number will be in red because it's a wrong holding type. It is still worth keeping a city if it is in your capitol, you have the steward collecting taxes, and you're below the demesne limit. Otherwise the -75% wrong holding penalty is too much to justify keeping it. Even if it's in your capitol, do the math and check your realm laws on Burgher taxes. I could be wrong.

If you've given it to a mayor, then the taxes you receive are a % based on realm laws, hurt by the amount the mayor dislikes you if he dislikes you (-30 is -30% taxes). Even then, you only get the $ if the city is in a county which you control directly. If you build a city in a county owned by a vassal or a vassal of a vassal, well, then your Realm is stronger and richer, but you yourself don't get money directly, I believe. You might get some money, if you have Noble taxes and if (as I assume) Noble taxes include the income your vassal gets from the taxes he gets from cities. But it's never gonna repay to you the 700 you spent. You made your realm better, but you personally won't benefit all that much.

Which is why I build in my capitol county and one or two which I fight like hell to keep for each successive ruler. Also, I stopped building cities. Castles provide decent income themselves - no wrong holding penalty ftw - and over the long haul I want stacks of men when crunch time comes, rather than income. Keep a stockpile of gold from all your holdings for when there is trouble. Income will let you hold on a bit longer, but won't save you when there's a major succession revolt. Only a hoard of gold will do that. On the other hand, your personal levy will always be yours in good times and in bad. Look at the military screen, 5k on the top is as good as 20k on the bottom, because a revolt cuts the 20k in half (or worse) because half those men are attacking you, and the remaining 10k gets cut in half (or worse) because the rest of the realm doesn't love you or there wouldn't be a succession crisis. Castles are also much better defensive holdings, the enemy can take forever besieging a County with four castles holding a garrison >1000, and if they assault, just laugh out loud. Sorry to go off on a tangent.

Two quick questions:

I'm now Duke of Capua. Naples was under my control, but one of the cities in Naples is under an Arab Empire. Besides war, is there an easy way to get this one city back under my control? I sent my chaplain to convert the religion of the province to Catholic and that's done. If I send my chancellor to sow dissent, would it affect the one city not under my control or would it affect the entire province?

I couldn't figure it out, so I just went to war with the Arab empire and took the city by force. I took over 4 provinces in Sicily and Calabria and thought things were going well. But, the war score kept being increasingly negative. I was winning every battle and had 4 of their provinces occupied (occupied and battles were both positive in the score, just not the overall score). The number kept decreasing and at -100% I was forced into peace. I was fast forwarding at the moment so I didn't see the message about the peace. All I know is that all the provinces were back under the Arab empire. Any reason for this? I was certainly going up against a huge empire, but they had done nothing against me and I'm not sure why I wouldn't have been making progress toward a victory.

Grant them to a guy in your court then matrilinealy marry him to another ruler and you will lose them. The only other way I can think would be to give them to vassals then piss them off so they revolt.

Thanks for the suggestion... i just dont understand why paradox didnt make it easier by making a "grant independence" button...

Hey guys, me again.

I'm now having a question about intrigues.

I recently found a plot started by my heir to kill my regent (me). It has a plot strength of 530% but no backers.

Now I know I can and maybe should sent the ungrateful something to jail but woudn't face a penalty but the guy is betrothed to a princess of France so I'm not sure about what to do here.

Also what the frak does Plot Strength mean? I starting to think I'm missing a thick manual here...

As a king, what are the advantages of creating a duchy? Similarly, what is the advantage/disadvantage of granting duchies you hold to other characters? It just doesn't seem to have much effect.