• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What happens to the Pope if you take Rome? I just took Latium playing as Byzantium. Does the Pope move somewhere else?

Watch out though. Don't give it to a Catholic. And Catholics in your realm can use a faction to declare war for the Pope (ie Duke of Latium is Orthodox but has a count who is catholic. He then starts a faction for Pope and declares war. He can get significant back up from other vassals in your realm). However as you are a emperor it is possible that the Pope would become your vassal, which would be amusing. Though only if the Pope has no other bishopric. Mine didn't move to any for a good 80 years afterwards

Yes it is really a King without land for now... his demesne his composed of only that church in Essex, for now he has not started revoke anything...
The fact is that him don't permits me to raise troop from the vassal tab from the Kingdom of Jerusalem it says I could take 6000 men but it is grayed out!
The only troop he gives me are circa 60 from its church and they appears as "Jerusalem Army"!

Is possible he is incurring in the recently conquered penalty? Or has he was a claimant this don't should happens?

The problem is if I try to imprison the excommunicated and he revolts as happens 99% of times I've to fight him, win and arrest in this period my fake Pope lift the excommunication without reason and now I cannot take its titles without penalties... an excommunicated could be banished without penalty right?

To a traitor, instead, I could take only a title...

If someone is excommunicated you can only kill him and let his heir take over for him. And he'll hate you for killing his close kin.

Banishing always incurs some tyranny.

I only use excommunication in my games to "un-marry" my nieces :p

HI there,

Currently KIng of Castille, Leon, Gallacia and have a couple of duchies. I have high CA and primogeniture in castille. However when my king dies I am going to lose Kingdom of Leon, an duchy and a few counties to one of my younger sins. I assume this is because leon has gavelkind. Is there any way to change this at all?

HI there,

Currently KIng of Castille, Leon, Gallacia and have a couple of duchies. I have high CA and primogeniture in castille. However when my king dies I am going to lose Kingdom of Leon, an duchy and a few counties to one of my younger sins. I assume this is because leon has gavelkind. Is there any way to change this at all?

You ca raise crown authority for Leon (under the Leon tab in the Laws window) to high and change to primogeniture. If that's not possible, change succession law to elective for the time being.

You can also destroy the title, so long as it's not your primary title. This will give you a -50 opinion with de jure vassals of Leon, but it should prevent it from getting split up upon your death.

I'm currently Emperor of Hispania, and I've made my personal demesne territories focused in the Duchies of Seville, Cordoba and Granada. I've held these territories for over 40 years and all that time, I've had my Court Chaplain (always at least skill 21) actively trying to convert the counties within my demesne. However, not even a single one of my directly held counties has converted to Christianity. Meanwhile, my vassal counties directly adjacent to mine have been rapidly converted without my intervention. And, some of the counties I conquered in the past 3 years in North Africa (and immediately gave to vassals) have already converted as well, again without my intervention. What the hell is going on? Why can't I convert any of my own personal counties?

It's just bad luck. For Conversions, it's best to give each county its own count, as the conversion event is fired on a county level. You only have one chaplain, and so his chance to fire the event is about what, 8%, 9% per year? So if you have 11 counties, all Muslim, it'd take a MTTH of about >110 years for all of them to convert. However having one at 40 years is VERY low, very unlucky, it's about 4 times the normal mtth.

At this point though, that is pretty much flavor as by 40 years conquest you stop getting the "different religion" penalty.

Also, get rid of Cordoba, give it to someone else and take Valencia. Similar 3 county sized duchy, but entirely coastal.

Is there a way to copy game and message settings from one mod to another? It seems that every time I install a different mod I have to do my message settings all over again, but I don't see any file that appears to hold this information.

Actually, I think I found it. A file gets created in the <documents>\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\<mod name>\interface folder. It's called messagetypes_custom.txt. This seems to contain your customizations. I didn't see it at first because it's not actually in the mod folder.

What, in simplest terms, are retinues? I really don't think I understand them. If it says I can't create retinues because my maximum retinue cap has been reached, how does that relate to the retinue cap of 51 I have and the current retinue cap usage of 0?

And if a character's military bonuses refer to flanks, does that specifically mean those bonuses will not apply if that character is leading the center? And does he have to be the absolute leader of the section for the bonus to apply, or will it apply even if he's not the commander of that flank?

I have a small question regarding succession law.

I started out as the Duke of Holland, expanded my influence and am now the King of Frisia. I married a Norwegian princess, who became the queen of Norway since her father died without any other heir. We had a son, I married him off to a girl who eventually became the countess of Telemark.

So far so good ;)

Since the wife of my son became a countess and I did not give my son any land for himself (I was waiting to turn to primogeniture) he lived at the court of telemark. When my wife died my son inherited the kingdom of Norway.

Naturally I wanted him to have it all. Kingdom of Frisia and of Norway, Telemark and some other smaller counties. But when I finally turned to primogeniture-cognatic my oldest son is suddenly not the heir to the kingdom of Frisia. My heir is my granddaughter, the daughter of my oldest son, instead of him.
Can someone explain how that can happen? Does he not inherit my Kingdom since he already has another kingdom? Or because he is a king outside the HRE, or is there anything I am overlooking?

A question about assassination. If someone you want to take out of the picture is on war and is leading his troops where do you send your spymaster?
At his "court" or where he actually is?
If it is the latter then with all the moving around I suppose there is no point in sending your assassin.

And a related question. A khalif declares holy war for Mesopotamia. I didn't have any prior encounters with him and he is around -2 to me. I don't believe I can win the war, any way to avoid the confrontation?
A gift can do it? What else can I do?

A question about assassination. If someone you want to take out of the picture is on war and is leading his troops where do you send your spymaster?
At his "court" or where he actually is?
If it is the latter then with all the moving around I suppose there is no point in sending your assassin.

And a related question. A khalif declares holy war for Mesopotamia. I didn't have any prior encounters with him and he is around -2 to me. I don't believe I can win the war, any way to avoid the confrontation?
A gift can do it? What else can I do?

You has to send him to his location. Pausing the game will help.

As for Mesopotamia, you are an Armenian/Greek and a Caliph had declared war on you? If it is so god help you. You are dead. If you're Orthodox the Byzantines might help, but otherwise it's a forgone conclusion. You will die and have to start again, sorry mate.