• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
pro :
- Less control to do over the land
- Easier to reach positive opinion with all
- Easier to get a close relative in order to avoid internal war
- More vassals are able to develop much fast because they earn more

cons :
- Rebellion are much harder
- Average taxes much lower so lower developpement speed for you
- Longer to convert religion over a bit part of land (1 count or 1 duke = 1 chaplain, so 4 counts = 4 chaplain, 1 duke with 4 county = 1 chaplain

So I played my first game yesterday. I thought I did pretty well, united Ireland, but I'm under no delusion of my lack of skills so here's a few questions coming from this first experience.

1) This is something that bugged me to no end because it hurt me constantly in my game. My playing character and his heirs for over a century (the amount of time I played), were of Castillian culture, hitting my relationship with everyone in my lands by 20. How did this happened and how do I prevent it from happening again?

2) Being Irish, if I take Scots land (Both in the celtic group), do I have to deal with Foreigner modifier again? What about English? My goal as learning campaing would be to unite the isles under irish rule.

3) This at first didn't happen but I ursurp the title of duke from Connatch on my way to unite the Kingdom but the vanquished liege kept his titles and kept rebelling against me. I get that, he hates me for killing his dream of power, but how is he still in power at all? Shouldn't my first move be to execute/banish him or at least take his titles to give them to someone who won't be declaring war every few months.

4) Education. After a while, I almost choose my guardians at random because I had no Idea what to look for for a guardian. Any tips there?
1) Give your heir a guardian of Irish culture. Guardians often pass on their culture.
2) Yes if you're Castillian. If you're Irish, it will be a smaller foreigner penalty.
3) After usurping his title, did you ever press your claim (i.e. go to war with him and take his land or force him to swear fealty)? Usurping it doesn't get rid of him. You have to actually do that after you get the claim.
4) Guardians pass on culture, religion, some traits, and stats. So if you want to make your heir an Irish warrior, find an Irish character with the brilliant strategist trait, and send your son to him.

How many vassals?

I had 17 vassals at one point I think, but I have now cut down to 5. Whats the pros-cons of having many?

It depends on how much land you own. You never want to own a church or city yourself, those should always be handed off. You also don't want to be over your denesne level. Other than that holding things yourself is better gameplay wise.

1) This is something that bugged me to no end because it hurt me constantly in my game. My playing character and his heirs for over a century (the amount of time I played), were of Castillian culture, hitting my relationship with everyone in my lands by 20. How did this happened and how do I prevent it from happening again?

You gave one of your heir to a Castillan guardian (or Castillan wife). Thus your heir become Castillan. He made Castillan children who got educated by Castillan or they didn't changed culture and kept being Castillian.
In order to prevent it : give as much as possible your heir to Irish coutier.

2) Being Irish, if I take Scots land (Both in the celtic group), do I have to deal with Foreigner modifier again? What about English? My goal as learning campaing would be to unite the isles under irish rule.

You'll have the foreigner modifier again if they are not of your culture. If you have a large family, simply put them in charge of Scotish duchy and they'll be most of the time of the same culture thus not foreigner.

3) This at first didn't happen but I ursurp the title of duke from Connatch on my way to unite the Kingdom but the vanquished liege kept his titles and kept rebelling against me. I get that, he hates me for killing his dream of power, but how is he still in power at all? Shouldn't my first move be to execute/banish him or at least take his titles to give them to someone who won't be declaring war every few months.

When you usurped the duke title, you became duke. At this point, you had a de Jure claim on him. Enforcing those kind of claim only put him vassals of yours.
If he rebels and you win again, he'll be in jail and you should be able to revoke his title for free.

4) Education. After a while, I almost choose my guardians at random because I had no Idea what to look for for a guardian. Any tips there?

Look for "correct" culture and religion.
Look for either one high stat that you need. You 25+ martial marshal is very old, get one family member to learn martial stuff from him.
If you need a average character, look for those with average stats.

What determines how titles get handed out in Gavelkind inheritance? Is there any way to change this. For example, if I'm King of Sicily, with 2 duchies in Italy, and also Duke of Adrianopolis (which itself is about as rich as Sicily), can I arrange it so my 1st son gets Sicily and its duchies, while my 2nd son gets my Byzantine holdings?

What determines how titles get handed out in Gavelkind inheritance? Is there any way to change this. For example, if I'm King of Sicily, with 2 duchies in Italy, and also Duke of Adrianopolis (which itself is about as rich as Sicily), can I arrange it so my 1st son gets Sicily and its duchies, while my 2nd son gets my Byzantine holdings?

I think it picks them on it's own and will tell you who is getting what if you check the tooltip. You can try getting rid of your extra sons though.

This thread is very helpful for anyone with questions.

Meneth's Guide

Main title and capital province always go to the first son I believe.

Hello everybody

I'am totally new to this game (played EU/HoI but not CKI), and i find it very addictive, for a reason i dont really know...
I am playing my first game with scotland, and i have two questions.

- Can you be imprisonned, and what happen next ? ( I was very afraid after 8000 englishmen crushed my brave scots and were besieging my castle. so afraid i gave them the county they wanted for peace ).

-Well I am playing the "king" of scotland, a 10 years old boy, king since he was 1 year old. Protected and educated by his mother, a greek princess. i was suprised i managed to live that long....The only problem is that i become Orthodox....(it did not please one of my "zealous" duke, the -50 relation penalty is painful)

Will my sons be Orthodox ? Will scotland become Orthodox if I, and my heirs remain Orthodox ? ( I could be quite amusing to have Orthodoxe scotland..:rolleyes:)

Thank you for answer.

My charakter is a duke. Good for him you think? Not really:

He controls one county, another duke the other county which belongs to the dukedom. If this other duke has enough money, he take my duke-title (without a war, only by spending money), if I have enough money, I take the title instead of him or get the title from my king and so on and so on ...

Any solution?

Me and the other duke have not the same king above us.

I played as the other duke 1 minute to give the cmmand "cash -3000" but this is no solution for a knight but for a merchant.

Is the "show marriage targets" list bugged? Even though various foreign kings have daughters that can be happily married off to my king, they don't appear in the marriage list; the majority of them are courtiers either from my or their court. Even when I directly click on the character I would like to marry or betroth, the character doesn't appear in the list despite being unmarried. What's going on?

How can I go about arranging marriages for the sons and daughters of my dukes? Is it possible in any way? There has quite often been occaisons where I'd like to marry off someone and the only options I have are to marry them to a member of my own court. Is it up to a duke or a count to marry off their subjects, because they don't always do it?

If I go to the characters tab and bring up my realm, it is full to the brim of people wanting to get married. However the options to marry those people off are limited and, more often than not, they remain unmarried due to the effort I would have to to put in to marry them off.

In nearly 100 years of game time I've not had a marriage proposal that I didn't instigate either. All in all it is making it a huge amount of work to marry off my people and gain allies.

Take, for example, the daughter of one of my dukes. She is the heir to his duchy so I wanted to marry her off to one of my other kinsman and tighten my control over her father. I have to go in to her diplomacy menu to get to the option for betrothal, but it only lets me pick a betrothal from my court. I'm the King of Sicily so why can't I pick anyone in my realm to betroth her to. Maybe it won't get me direct control over his duchy, but I can try to get control of that duchy over to another lord.

It's wholly possible I am missing some big thing about marriages. Is it that who married whom was not down to the king of the realm, but a father or lord's privilege?

Qucik question about tax..

I have an anti pope, but i still see some of my vassals not paying me taxes because of they are under another duke even tho I'm the bloody king?!

Also does vassals with demenses in your duchy have to pay you taxes?

As far as I know only your majors and bishops in your own demenses pay you taxes, and it looks like all the bishops in your duchy pay you if they like you better than the pope ( or with antipope)

Would love if someone explain these titles and their taxation effect.. Because its tiring to see my income jump from 40 to 20 without me understanding wtf is happening

It's wholly possible I am missing some big thing about marriages. Is it that who married whom was not down to the king of the realm, but a father or lord's privilege?

Yes, it's their liege who controls who they marry. So, if someone is in your Duke's court, it's up to him.

Hello everybody

I'am totally new to this game (played EU/HoI but not CKI), and i find it very addictive, for a reason i dont really know...
I am playing my first game with scotland, and i have two questions.

- Can you be imprisonned, and what happen next ? ( I was very afraid after 8000 englishmen crushed my brave scots and were besieging my castle. so afraid i gave them the county they wanted for peace ).

Well, a regent will be appointed to run the country for you, much as if you were under sixteen or incapable. There will be event sequences firing to ask the person who imprisoned you for better accommodation, and escape plans.

-Well I am playing the "king" of scotland, a 10 years old boy, king since he was 1 year old. Protected and educated by his mother, a greek princess. i was suprised i managed to live that long....The only problem is that i become Orthodox....(it did not please one of my "zealous" duke, the -50 relation penalty is painful)

Will my sons be Orthodox ? Will scotland become Orthodox if I, and my heirs remain Orthodox ? ( I could be quite amusing to have Orthodoxe scotland..:rolleyes:)

Thank you for answer.

Sons generally take the father's religion and culture (or the mother's if it is a matrilineal marriage). Your sons will probably be Orthodox at birth, though they may change religion if educated by a tutor of a different religion. To prevent that happening, have them educated by Orthodox courtiers, or do so yourself.

Over time, your vassals will convert to your religion, and you can request they do so. They will agree if they like you.

Send your Court Chaplain to head the local inquisition in Catholic provinces and they will eventually turn Orthodox. Orthodox vassals will also try to convert their counties to Orthodoxy.

My charakter is a duke. Good for him you think? Not really:

He controls one county, another duke the other county which belongs to the dukedom. If this other duke has enough money, he take my duke-title (without a war, only by spending money), if I have enough money, I take the title instead of him or get the title from my king and so on and so on ...

Any solution?

Me and the other duke have not the same king above us.

I played as the other duke 1 minute to give the cmmand "cash -3000" but this is no solution for a knight but for a merchant.

If he holds land in a de jure duchy of which you are the holder, you will get a casus belli to demand the other province in your duchy from him. This would mean you would have to declare war on his liege to take that province, which may not be feasible, or even possible if Crown Laws do not allow.

Is the "show marriage targets" list bugged? Even though various foreign kings have daughters that can be happily married off to my king, they don't appear in the marriage list; the majority of them are courtiers either from my or their court. Even when I directly click on the character I would like to marry or betroth, the character doesn't appear in the list despite being unmarried. What's going on?

The spouse-finder will only show spouses of your religious group. So if you're a Christian, there won't be any Muslims there, though they may still be willing to marry you.

What affects a child's culture? I know that they may take the culture of their mentor (learned that the hard way). So, are there other factors? If my character is Danish and my wife is German is there a risk that my children will turn out to be Germans even if their mentor is Danish? And does it matter where they are learning?

If a child is tutored by a Danish tutor from his sixth birthday until he turns sixteen you can be sure that he will have the culture/religion of his tutor. I have never had my children's culture be influenced by my wife except for one time where she was a ruler as well and she chose who the tutor was.

Qucik question about tax..

I have an anti pope, but i still see some of my vassals not paying me taxes because of they are under another duke even tho I'm the bloody king?!

Also does vassals with demenses in your duchy have to pay you taxes?

As far as I know only your majors and bishops in your own demenses pay you taxes, and it looks like all the bishops in your duchy pay you if they like you better than the pope ( or with antipope)

Would love if someone explain these titles and their taxation effect.. Because its tiring to see my income jump from 40 to 20 without me understanding wtf is happening

Anyone who is directly vassal to you should pay you taxes unless they are a part of the church and like the pope better than you. If you have an anti pope then I believe if they like the anti pope > you they pay taxes to the anti-pope and you get a portion of those taxes. Just speculating but you may want to check to see if the people you aren't being paid for are vassals of someone else. If they are and they like that liege better than your anti-pope they may be paying their liege which is why you don't see the money.

There is a really weird thing with succession in my little Bohemia. See, the thing is, my oldest son is not in line of succession for Bohemia. Well, he is going to take Poland from me when I die, and he is also going to inherit Castille from his mother. But not Bohemia. I have primogeniture law in both kingdoms, but oldest son is not even mentioned in Bohemia. I've tried to kill all pretenders for Bohemia, and my son became a heir - for a day. Then, line rebuilt itself - and some distant relatives are in line, but not my son. He is from my dynasty, everything is fine, but it doesnt work. Am I missing something and he cant inherit both my primary title and some foreign kingdom the same time or this is a bug?

Couple of quick questions:

My son had a claim for the kingdom of Sweden so I pressed the claim, beat the swedish king and my son got the throne, but he didn't become a vassal king. It says in the declare war option that if the claimant is of my dynasty he will become a vassal. Does that not count for kingdoms?

Also, I was the current king of Denmark and Norway and tried giving my other son the kingdom of Norway cause I thought it would be cool to be King of Denmark with my sons ruling Norway and Sweden, but he became independant too. That wasn't my plan. Isn't it possible to be the liege of kings? Is there a way to become an empire or something to make it happen?