• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Not sure if this has been asked, but how do I change the capital of my duchy or kingdom or empire? Only by giving away titles still the right one remains?

Thanks for any answers :)

When you click on a county you own, in the top left corner of the county window should be a little crown button called "Make Capital", that should do the trick

Say ive got a duchy with 3 counties in it. If i give the 3 counties to 3 different people and the duke title to a 4th will that prevent a possible rebellion? Last time I gave an entire duchy to a guy he rebelled as soon as I was busy crusading.

Say ive got a duchy with 3 counties in it. If i give the 3 counties to 3 different people and the duke title to a 4th will that prevent a possible rebellion? Last time I gave an entire duchy to a guy he rebelled as soon as I was busy crusading.

You won't be able to. A duchy title must go along with one holding (county). You can give 2 counties away, but to give away a duchy title, you must own a county in that duchy, since that county will pass as well and become that duke's capital

Bumping my question from 2 pages ago, if anyone's able to answer it

My question: I'm playing as the king of Scotland. I waited until England was fighting a succession war (old king died, old king's brother went to war with king's son (new king)). Once that happened, I decided to request an invasion CB from the pope, and got it. So I invaded England. During this time, their succession war ended (the old king's son won, so he kept the throne). I eventually beat them and got the throne of England myself.

England's Crown Authority is Max (has been since before I invaded). However, a bunch of the English dukes started fighting each other over titles. Shouldn't this not be able to happen? England is still under Absolute Crown Authority.

Scotland is under Medium Crown Authority, which should ALSO mean vassals can't fight each other, so that's not the reason...

Why are my English vassals able to declare war on each other if both Scotland and England's crown authority is high enough to not allow vassals to fight each other?

Note: It's my English vassals that are fighting other English vassals. Scottish vassals are nice and peaceful.

You won't be able to. A duchy title must go along with one holding (county). You can give 2 counties away, but to give away a duchy title, you must own a county in that duchy, since that county will pass as well and become that duke's capital

Are the counts my vassals or the dukes? Is a duke with 1 county weak enough not to bother rebelling?

I gave a kinsman Jerusalem after a crusade, since that was the only title I could grab, as other provinces were occupied by other crusaders at the time. I then invaded Beirut and gave my cousin the province again.

A while later, rebels come to Jerusalem. I immediately send men to stop it, but it keeps growing and being suspicious, 20,000 men are stationed at Jerusalem. At more than 30,000 rebels spawning like mad.

What. The. Hell?

In the end, it wiped out my entire crusading force - levies raised from my entire massive country because of some random peasants. This cannot be possible. What's going on?

Are the counts my vassals or the dukes? Is a duke with 1 county weak enough not to bother rebelling?

When giving a duchy away, I'm fairly certain the counts in that duchy become the new duke's vassals (you can save your game before you hand it out to be 100% sure. I would but I'm not at home atm).

When a duke rebels, he can raise his own troops, plus the troops of all his direct vassals. So if this duke has 3 counties under his vassalage (1 his, and 2 counts that are his vassals), then he'll be able to raise troops from all 3 counties if he rebels against you.

A good strategy that I use is always try and have 50% more demesnes then any of my lords, at least. So if one lord has control of 4 counties, I'd have 6. That way if he does decide to rebel I can be sure I'll personally have more troops then him (I try not to rely on my other vassal's troops too much as the longer they're out, the larger relation penalty you get). It's also good to try and keep your dukes on equal footing with each other, don't make one too powerful or he may get ideas and try and claim land from the weaker ones (assuming your crown authority is low enough to allow that)

Is it possible to change your religion at will?

At will not exactly, but you can send your heir to be educated by someone of another religion and they will change to that religion.

Anyone have any idea why these muslim cats are my vassals?

strange_vassals.jpg

Why would I have the city and church as holdings but not the entire province? They have been there since my crusade for Alexandria almost 30 years ago. I had started sieging that province before peace broke out, don't remember if I had finsihed the siege. It is part of the Emirate of Alexandria, so was fair game to be taken in the war.

More question along the line of duchy and county. When one of my duke rebels, and I kick his ass and stick him prison, I have the choice of taking away his duchy title or county. If I take away his duchy title, does it mean I don't get any of his provinces, and he just loses control over the other counties that were under his duchy control? And if I take away one of his counties instead, does it mean he will have Casus Belli over it in the future, since he is still the duke?

Why would I have the city and church as holdings but not the entire province? They have been there since my crusade for Alexandria almost 30 years ago. I had started sieging that province before peace broke out, don't remember if I had finsihed the siege. It is part of the Emirate of Alexandria, so was fair game to be taken in the war.

I am pretty sure it is the castle ownership that determines who owns the province. Maybe what happened was that the castle alone belonged to its current owner (don't know the name of that kingdom; the one with the red crescent moon on black background with the green star), when you began sieging the province with claims against the kingdom that owned the city and the church. Then what happens is you just bypass the castle and go straight for the city and the church. I've had provinces where only the city was under the control of another kingdom, but that was like that before I attacked. Or if the castle was controlled by one of your vassals, it could have been passed along through marriage?

A possibility could have been that they finished recapturing the capital and peace was signed.

Edit: beaten to the punch.

Two questions:
  1. Can you "inherit" a promise? After I murdered my brother to get his lands, I'm getting all these relatives from his court "reminding" me of my promise to give them land. Is this WAD?
  2. Is there a way to trade holdings with a vassal? I want to give one of my barons a county in exchange for his original barony. Is there any way to do this?

If I let the holy order have castles in my holy land provinces do they help me defend the holy land (levies for example) and is there anyway if I want to make the holy order/mercenaries in the holy land instead of having to get boats and sail them all the way from my capital? Since they have strongholds in the holy land it doesn't make much sense them spawning half of the world away.

I had 17 vassals at one point I think, but I have now cut down to 5. Whats the pros-cons of having many?

Assuming the choice is between a few Dukes and a bunch of Counts (not just having a big realm vs. a small one), the argument for have many vassals is that each one is weaker and less of a threat. The argument against that is that many vassals are harder to control/keep happy, and if you keep all the Duke titles to yourself, then they will get mad.

So I played my first game yesterday. I thought I did pretty well, united Ireland, but I'm under no delusion of my lack of skills so here's a few questions coming from this first experience.

1) This is something that bugged me to no end because it hurt me constantly in my game. My playing character and his heirs for over a century (the amount of time I played), were of Castillian culture, hitting my relationship with everyone in my lands by 20. How did this happened and how do I prevent it from happening again?

2) Being Irish, if I take Scots land (Both in the celtic group), do I have to deal with Foreigner modifier again? What about English? My goal as learning campaing would be to unite the isles under irish rule.

3) This at first didn't happen but I ursurp the title of duke from Connatch on my way to unite the Kingdom but the vanquished liege kept his titles and kept rebelling against me. I get that, he hates me for killing his dream of power, but how is he still in power at all? Shouldn't my first move be to execute/banish him or at least take his titles to give them to someone who won't be declaring war every few months.

4) Education. After a while, I almost choose my guardians at random because I had no Idea what to look for for a guardian. Any tips there?