• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Why can't I see the number of troops available to be levied?

I just inherited Castille at the very beginning of a Leon game, and I cannot see the number of troops available to be levied in my provinces.

If I hover over the icon to summon them, I eventually get the number, but did it not used to be just there on the display screen? Was this changed in a recent patch, because if so I can't understand why it would make sense to make it harder to see the number of troops available?

Sam
if you go to the military screen where you can summon realm levies that will give you an over number. the numbers on a county screen are changed due to a patch as you summon troops from the whole duchy as opposed to a single county. it basically shows how much troops the county has but when you go to summon them you are summon the whole duchy.

Oh thanx,
it's a bishophoric province, so I can't control its culture.
you can take over and give the county to the barron if hes dutch than wait for to change back but it could take anywhere from a week to two hundred years i'm not sure if free investiture can allow county level bishops

What do the red/green bars under a holding indicate? When I hover over it I only see one number (the number of troops that can be raised there), but there's a portion of the bar that is red. What does that mean?

It means that its reinforcing troops. It happens when a building is done or after a war.

Alright, thanks! I did some more looking around in-game and realized that:
- The total (red+green) bar indicates how many levies are available in total, as a % of the maximum
- The green part of the bar is what he gives you if you raise his levies
- The number you see if you hover over the levy bar indicates the total levies, of which you get only a part.

How does it work for vassals of vassals though?

Alright, thanks! I did some more looking around in-game and realized that:
- The total (red+green) bar indicates how many levies are available in total, as a % of the maximum
- The green part of the bar is what he gives you if you raise his levies
- The number you see if you hover over the levy bar indicates the total levies, of which you get only a part.

How does it work for vassals of vassals though?

I forgot about that part to. You will only get a percentage of your vassals levies who in turn get a percentage of his vassals levies. This is based on crown law and other laws you might have. It can also depend on how much they like you. If you go into the military screen and hover your mouse over the numbers you can see how much he will give you and why.

With medium Crown law he must give you 40%, unless he like you better than 40 and give you more.

Edit: You also have the levies laws where you set how much he can give you at a maximum.

I noticed one time that I actually got less in total when I moved to high crown authority compared to medium, because my vassals didn't like me as much as they used to.

Last edited:

You can use it on Orthodox characters, but they need to control a certain amount of the kingdom in question first.

Catholics can petition the pope for an invasion on a character whose realm is larger and who the pope likes less (eg. William the Conqueror on Harold Godwinson at game start).

Orthodox characters do not get invasion CBs and nor do non-Mongol pagans.

I'm also curious about the invasion CB Muslims have, as a duke inside the Byz Empire I've seen Egypt declare an invasion on greece (kingdom lvl). They won and as a result the whole of greece actually got vassalised by them.
Now in a new game I'm playing the Byz Empire myself and as a requirement for an invasion on for example the Fatimids, the head of otherdox religion has to be independent (as of now he is my vassal).
Is there any way of granting him his independence without destroying titles?

Here's a pic where I can ask for an invasion, the only thing lacking is the indepedence of my Patriarch.

Last edited:
another couple questions, if you please.

is the sex and traits of a baby determined at birth, or when m'lady gets preggers?

also, is there anything I can do to get rid of the " rewards in the afterlife" modifier of my wife?

I just want to clarify a few things I think I have right, but I'm not positive:

1) If I'm a Dutch/Bohemian/Italian/Pomerian Duke or king in the HRE ruled by a German, no provinces will ever change to a culture other than German, correct?

2) A titular title is one that has no land actually connected to it anymore, right?

And for an actual question: Is there any way to take something out of the De Jure HRE without moving it into another empire, or is it possible to destroy the HRE without being an Emperor of another Empire?

1,2) Yes and Yes

You can de jure drift duchies away from the HRE one by one. If you hold a complete de jure HRE kingdom (like Frisia) long enough it will drift out, too.
You can take over the HRE by invasion, but then you'll become the HRE yourself.
It's pretty hard to get rid of the HRE-title alltogether. You basically have to take the current emperor's last province and prevent him from usurping a new one for himself.
I once did that as Germany. Took me nearly 200 years ;)

Last edited:
is the 2 duchy rule per ruler, or kingdom/empire?

I am a Duke in the Kingdom of France.I am able to appoint successors to my direct Bishop vassals so I assume Kingdom of France must have Free Investiture.

I know the succession laws for France are shown when I hover over the Kingdom of France Coat of arms icon.

But what about tax laws and crown authority?

Is there a ledger page somewhere that summarizes all the laws for my liege's realm?

Also, where is that page that allows me to look at what any character's opinion is of any other character? I thought it was accessed via right-clicking the character portrait but now I cannot find it.

Also, where is that page that allows me to look at what any character's opinion is of any other character? I thought it was accessed via right-clicking the character portrait but now I cannot find it.

The first question i can't really answer, i usually look at the vassals opinion of the liege and if it show a malus or bonus regarding crown authority.

For the persons relations, right click character, right click the left circle, one of the options there will be relations.

Last edited: