• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Assuming I'm reading the faction file correctly, the one you're supporting has to be eligible for the title. Meaning a strong/weak claim unless Duchy of Bavaria is elective. Since you won't need a faction for it for elective, you have one option, get a claim, through fabrication or marriage.

If you want to become a claimant without the hassle of marriages, there should be an options for you from the plot selections, fabricate a claim on your <insert de jure liege title>.

Assuming I'm reading the faction file correctly, the one you're supporting has to be eligible for the title. Meaning a strong/weak claim unless Duchy of Bavaria is elective. Since you won't need a faction for it for elective, you have one option, get a claim, through fabrication or marriage.

If you want to become a claimant without the hassle of marriages, there should be an options for you from the plot selections, fabricate a claim on your <insert de jure liege title>.

Last time I checked, I could kill him but not forge a claim on the Duchy... am I missing something else?

uhhh, which patch made that happen? As far as I know the Empire and kingdom CA and succession laws are all separate and have been separate.
Only the levy and tax laws are the same across all your titles.

Edit: the patch note merely states that higher tier title will copy from the lower tier one upon creation, but not about anything after that. After the title has been created it's free game on increase/decrease and will affect your vassals differently. Double check your crown laws for Scotland and Wales for your game by clicking on the shields above succession law.

Dracko tested it - De Jure Kingdoms of an Empire cannot change their CA. The Empire CA determines the Kingdom's CA. I didn't see this behavior in 1.06 where I was Persian Emperor and I'd give my heir the Persian Sultanate - after which he would immediately raise CA.

Dracko tested it - De Jure Kingdoms of an Empire cannot change their CA. The Empire CA determines the Kingdom's CA. I didn't see this behavior in 1.06 where I was Persian Emperor and I'd give my heir the Persian Sultanate - after which he would immediately raise CA.

The AI also changes their CA in de jure kingdoms from medium to high CA, even though they can not affect the CA and the high CA does not become law. But the medium CA of the empire remains in place.

I do not have a 1.06b version of the game to test, but this could of also been the case in previous versions.

The AI also changes their CA in de jure kingdoms from medium to high CA, even though they can not affect the CA and the high CA does not become law. But the medium CA of the empire remains in place.

I do not have a 1.06b version of the game to test, but this could of also been the case in previous versions.

That could very well be as I wasn't interested in observing the effects of CA other than the Opinion Penalties - those still existed. When my heir inherited the Empire he'd be stuck with these high negative modifiers that could not be gotten rid of. Ugh, looks all broken to me. This needs to be fixed.

That could very well be as I wasn't interested in observing the effects of CA other than the Opinion Penalties - those still existed. When my heir inherited the Empire he'd be stuck with these high negative modifiers that could not be gotten rid of. Ugh, looks all broken to me. This needs to be fixed.

The AI does not actually increase the CA and as such does not receive the usual penalties from their vassals. I think that issue was fixed with the 1.07 patch.

I'm trying to restore the Roman Empire....

What does it mean to have a duchy "completely controlled"? Does each county in the county need to be owned by the emperor or can a vassal own these? The duchy of Antioch is in my realm but is held by a vassal and the requirement for the "restore the roman empire" has the Duch of Antioch unfulfilled.

All baronies/bisphorics/cities have to be owned by either the emperor or a vassal (though not necessarily direct) of the emperor. In the case of Antioch, the Hashashins usually hold one of the baronies.

2 questions:

-At what nr of people in my court will my courtiers start having fertility penalties?

-What kind of effects can I expect if I grant courts and/or duchies to people not of my culture? Is there a chance they'll spread their culture to the province? How about baronies?

To Orde:

1. I believe the number is 40.

General question

Is the general spam issue with retinues expected to be fixed in the next patch?

Maybe i get an answere here..

1) Duke starts a factione war to replace the Emporer of the HRE. The Emporer also has an King title.
The Duke wins.
Now the new Emporer (the former duke) will have a few majors and bishop of his demese as vasal and the former Empore which is now King...
All other Dukes of the HRE will be vasalls of the King (the former Empore).

Wad or Bug?

2) it is not possibel to start an factione to get independent of an Liege who is also Vasall
will the Ai use the "declare war button" to become independent? or is for example a Kingdom insite the HRE stable forever unless attacked from the outside?

1: I'm confused with the levies change. The patch notes just stated: "You only raise levies from your direct vassals, and they are not directly connected to Holdings". Does this meanyou won't get any levies from your indirect vassals anymore? That seems just weird and unrealistic. If not, do you get levies from your indirect vassals proportional to how much levies you get from your direct vassals times how much levels your direct vassals get from your indirect vassals? That would be just like taxes, the levies your direct vassals raise from their vassals would be counted towards how many troops you can raise from those direct vassals, and you get a certain proportion of that. It would mean the opinions of your indirect vassals are largely irrelevant though. It also still means you get punished for having many "layers" of vassals, since each level only gives a certain percentage. Another option would be that you actually still draw levies from all your vassals depending on their opinion towards you, but they are just immediately added to their liege's levies for convenience. I really don't which (if any) of these possibilities is in the actual game, while it is quite important to know.

2: How exactly does the formula for how much % of troops you can raise (work? It seems the one on the wiki is outdated. What I have figured out so far is the following (let's assume we are drawing levies from a direct vassal): the minimum you get is set by the crown law, and the maximum by a certain number depending on, but not equal to, their opinion towards you times how much percent you claim via your regular laws. I'm mostly wondering how the number depending on your vassal's opinion is calculated, and when it would be wise to set your recruitment laws higher or lower. If you increase the amount of levies you want to raise the minimum amount you can get stays the same, and for the maximum the opinion modifier goes down but the amount you claim via your laws goes up, so it seems like nothing really happends.

3: is there any thinkable scenario in which you would want to execute blind or castrate someone? It seems to me that if you are not going to just release them, banishment is always a more profitable and less tyranny invoking option. In the rare case you are so scared of your prisoners that you do not even dare to banish them, you can just let them rot in your prison for the rest of their lives without any risk of them escaping, and without invoking any tyranny. Am I missing something here, or is it just plain bad to execute blind or castrate someone?

1: I'm confused with the levies change. The patch notes just stated: "You only raise levies from your direct vassals, and they are not directly connected to Holdings". Does this meanyou won't get any levies from your indirect vassals anymore? That seems just weird and unrealistic. If not, do you get levies from your indirect vassals proportional to how much levies you get from your direct vassals times how much levels your direct vassals get from your indirect vassals? That would be just like taxes, the levies your direct vassals raise from their vassals would be counted towards how many troops you can raise from those direct vassals, and you get a certain proportion of that. It would mean the opinions of your indirect vassals are largely irrelevant though. It also still means you get punished for having many "layers" of vassals, since each level only gives a certain percentage. Another option would be that you actually still draw levies from all your vassals depending on their opinion towards you, but they are just immediately added to their liege's levies for convenience. I really don't which (if any) of these possibilities is in the actual game, while it is quite important to know.

if you Emporer for example and raise levies from your king the base number is all demse of your king + all demes of his vasal i think..
and how much you can raise of this only depents on he optione of the king towards the Emporer and of the Crown laws... the options of the vasal of the vasal doesn't matter at all... also the king has to pay for ALL the troops raised... the vasal of the king pay nothing... (saw several Kingdoms of the HRE go bankrupt because of that)
oh and all the raised troops appear from nowhere... because the garnisons of the King and his vasals stay full

i'm not 100% sure of this but in my current game this numbers match... atm the Emporer can almost raise 1.5 the numbers of my kingdom that i can raise.. (stupid High Crown laws of the Kingdom of Denmark outside the HRE... but i'm de jure vasall :( )

2: How exactly does the formula for how much % of troops you can raise (work? It seems the one on the wiki is outdated. What I have figured out so far is the following (let's assume we are drawing levies from a direct vassal): the minimum you get is set by the crown law, and the maximum by a certain number depending on, but not equal to, their opinion towards you times how much percent you claim via your regular laws. I'm mostly wondering how the number depending on your vassal's opinion is calculated, and when it would be wise to set your recruitment laws higher or lower. If you increase the amount of levies you want to raise the minimum amount you can get stays the same, and for the maximum the opinion modifier goes down but the amount you claim via your laws goes up, so it seems like nothing really happends.

not sure if i understand the questione right... but there are two caese:

option of your vasal is lower as the mininum you can raise because of Crown laws: then what you can raise is the mininum set by the crown law
for example vasal has an opinion of 10 of you.. and crow laws alow you to raise 20%.... 10 is smaller as 20 so you can raise 20%

option of your vasal is higher as the mininum you can raise because of Crown laws: opinion in % - (% your Vasal can keep as minum * opinion) = % you can raise
for example vasal has an opinion of 40% of you... and crow laws alow you to raise 20%... 40 is bigger as 20... your laws alow your vasal to keep a mininum of 20%.. so you can raise 40% - 20% of 40 = 40% - 8% = 32% of your Vasal troops

so as long as your Vasal option is lower as the minunum you can raise as Crown law it doesn't matter how much troops your vasal can keep as minum because of laws...
if you optione of your vasals is higher it might be wise to reduce the minum % your vasal might keep... but that also gives an perm option malus...

-What kind of effects can I expect if I grant courts and/or duchies to people not of my culture? Is there a chance they'll spread their culture to the province? How about baronies?

There's an event with a fairly high mtth for people to spread their culture to owned counties. It decreases based on stewardship, so if you want to culture flip provinces you give them to people of your culture with high stewardship. Same thing if they're not of your culture.

You'll also take some opinion penalties, I think -20 at base, reduced by the cultural flexibility tech. Barons can't change the culture of a province and their opinion of you is mostly irrelevant but unless you're set on disinheriting someone you don't need to appoint them.

There's an event with a fairly high mtth for people to spread their culture to owned counties. It decreases based on stewardship, so if you want to culture flip provinces you give them to people of your culture with high stewardship. Same thing if they're not of your culture.

You'll also take some opinion penalties, I think -20 at base, reduced by the cultural flexibility tech. Barons can't change the culture of a province and their opinion of you is mostly irrelevant but unless you're set on disinheriting someone you don't need to appoint them.

You can not spread culture other then your own.

A count must have the same culture as their top_liege (king/emperor/duke) to spread their culture.

Thank you for the answers. So this means if I grant the multiple titles of the Kingdom of Jerusalem to several nobles from far and wide I invited to my court, theres a good chance in some years the kingdom will be a patchwork of different cultures?

Also I like to appoint baronies, its better roleplay and if for nothing else, it helps to keep the court slim. :)

Thank you for the answers. So this means if I grant the multiple titles of the Kingdom of Jerusalem to several nobles from far and wide I invited to my court, theres a good chance in some years the kingdom will be a patchwork of different cultures?

Also I like to appoint baronies, its better roleplay and if for nothing else, it helps to keep the court slim. :)

That will not happen, see my post above.

2 questions:

-At what nr of people in my court will my courtiers start having fertility penalties?

< 30 courtiers can produce 2 children, > 31 courtiers can produce 1 child.

Maybe i get an answere here..

1) Duke starts a factione war to replace the Emporer of the HRE. The Emporer also has an King title.
The Duke wins.
Now the new Emporer (the former duke) will have a few majors and bishop of his demese as vasal and the former Empore which is now King...
All other Dukes of the HRE will be vasalls of the King (the former Empore).

Wad or Bug?

2) it is not possibel to start an factione to get independent of an Liege who is also Vasall
will the Ai use the "declare war button" to become independent? or is for example a Kingdom insite the HRE stable forever unless attacked from the outside?

1. Possibly an oversight and a bug, but could be WAD.
2. I have seen several independence wars started and even surrendered within my empire. As a result I hand the vassal back to their liege who becomes more tyrannical. :)

3: is there any thinkable scenario in which you would want to execute blind or castrate someone? It seems to me that if you are not going to just release them, banishment is always a more profitable and less tyranny invoking option. In the rare case you are so scared of your prisoners that you do not even dare to banish them, you can just let them rot in your prison for the rest of their lives without any risk of them escaping, and without invoking any tyranny. Am I missing something here, or is it just plain bad to execute blind or castrate someone?

1: You draw levies from you vassals total manpower. This means his holdings, his vassals and all minor vassals. A king vassal provides the ships of his mayors and all mayors within his realm. Meaning raising ship levies raises all at his capital.

2: I believe the % of troops has an issue, but I have not paid much to attention to it. Someone else might know more, there has been some bug reports on it, do a search and look.

3: Banished prisoners can produce children with claims on which you just removed from them, thus creating claims on your realm. So there is that issue to think about.