• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What should I look for when trying to find a guardian for my heir?

Children tend to take skills, School Trait, regular traits and culture from their guardian. So first up is make sure the guardian has the same culture (I'd like to see an "only my culture" option), then look for the stat or traits you want. First son - Intrigue, Stewardship; subsequent sons - content trait, low intrigue, whatever other trait might help a Council member.

I used to go for Midas Touched in my heir, now I want elusive shadow until they tone down assassination power (or give us Secret History Files which show a lot of suspicious deaths were natural).

Ive taken Rome from the Pope. What do I do with it? Im a Duke under the HRE.

Give it back?

And you would be right.
So the followup question is then... The county of Murcia has 'open elective' government, so how can I assign anybody as its lord that doesn't get the -30 'wrong government type' penalty if the county is elective? (I checked the claimants and the only claimant is some muslim dude that obviously won't come to my court). And also, how can I change it from elective?

I'm by no means an expert at this game so you may want to check back for another reply but I would expect it's probably similar to culture/religion and changes over time (certain events probably speed it up)

Children tend to take skills, School Trait, regular traits and culture from their guardian. So first up is make sure the guardian has the same culture (I'd like to see an "only my culture" option), then look for the stat or traits you want. First son - Intrigue, Stewardship; subsequent sons - content trait, low intrigue, whatever other trait might help a Council member.

I used to go for Midas Touched in my heir, now I want elusive shadow until they tone down assassination power (or give us Secret History Files which show a lot of suspicious deaths were natural).

Give it back?

Do I have to? I was actually only after a county the Popes vassal had but I ended up with both it and Rome since i had multiple claims and i pressed all of them. Now that I have it I kinda want to keep it.

Once an anti-pope dies do I have to spend more prestige to get another one? What qualities should i look for in an anti-pope to maximize the amount of clergy paying tax to me?

Last edited:
Question to the mercenaries:

In my game there are two companies -all in all- in other games there are 12. Is this a bug or can I increase the number in my save game?

It depends on where your capital is. If you are on Iceland you cannot hire Arab mercs, etc.

how exactly is the "create new vassal" button in the city view different from appointing a guy from your court? It seems that when I use the button my son becomes the heir to the city even-though the succession law is the same.

Does the button generate a certain type of characters without right to inherit or something? like lowborn burgers?

So I hit 100 opinion with the emperor of the HRE by aiding him in various campaigns, as soon as a new emperor climbs the throne it resets, I think it's weird how they throw away a 20 years lucrative relationship just on a change of ruler. Is WAI?

Please help!
So I was getting annoyed by how the river Volga just stops in the middle of nowhere before getting to the Caspian sea, and I noticed that this was because there was a pixel missing in the Crusader Kings II/map/rivers.bmp
So in my excitement for having found a way to fix the problem myself I just edited the file in MS Paint and added the pixel, and then just hit save.
I guess I should have made a backup... because now ALL of the rivers on the map disappeared.
How can I fix this without re-installing?

EDIT: I guess this might be more appropriate for the Tech Support forum...

Please help!
So I was getting annoyed by how the river Volga just stops in the middle of nowhere before getting to the Caspian sea, and I noticed that this was because there was a pixel missing in the Crusader Kings II/map/rivers.bmp
So in my excitement for having found a way to fix the problem myself I just edited the file in MS Paint and added the pixel, and then just hit save.
I guess I should have made a backup... because now ALL of the rivers on the map disappeared.

Isn't it possible just to replace the file you're looking for?

I have a question on unlanded sons and revoking titles. I have na unlanded son. He is my second son. Does it matter if he has no land? If it does what would you recommend i give him. Should I give him land from my own holdings or a county of one of my vassals. I trieds to give him a county that is held by a vassal who hates me, but there was no option there to revoke his land. IS that because that particular vassal was under one of my dukes?

I have a question on unlanded sons and revoking titles. I have na unlanded son. He is my second son. Does it matter if he has no land? If it does what would you recommend i give him. Should I give him land from my own holdings or a county of one of my vassals. I trieds to give him a county that is held by a vassal who hates me, but there was no option there to revoke his land. IS that because that particular vassal was under one of my dukes?
An unlanded son will lower your prestige. If you are a emperor it costs more prestige per months than if you are a count. To counter this, you either need to give him land, have gavelkind succession or marry him to a woman who holds land.
You can only revoke titles of vassals if you have don't have the very lowest crown law AND the vassal needs to be your direct vassal (and not a vassal of a vassal). I find it to be best to marry him to a woman who holds land. Unless he is your heir, than I just give him parts of my land as I get it back when I die anyway.

In my recent game as Duke of Lombardia - now known as the King of Sicily, I noticed that the HRE managed to pass medium crown authority. So I cannot push my claims I have all over Italy.

When I noticed this I wanted to begin a plot to lower authority. However when I go to my plots all I have is kill my wife and kill some random dukes. Is there a prerequisites to beginning the plot to lower authority? Before starting the game I also planned to ally with some of the stronger vassals in HRE (Got great relations with the King of Bohemia) and then plot to dismantle or at least gain independence from HRE. I have not seen that in my plots neither - is that an actual plot?

An unlanded son will lower your prestige. If you are a emperor it costs more prestige per months than if you are a count. To counter this, you either need to give him land, have gavelkind succession or marry him to a woman who holds land.
You can only revoke titles of vassals if you have don't have the very lowest crown law AND the vassal needs to be your direct vassal (and not a vassal of a vassal). I find it to be best to marry him to a woman who holds land. Unless he is your heir, than I just give him parts of my land as I get it back when I die anyway.

Looks like I was too late. Married him but she did not own land. Nevertheless my heir just died very young and now he is heir. Not a coincidence i think :)

Another question. One of my dukes rebelled. I crushed his army and he is now imprisoned. What do you normally do here. Banish, revoke title, kill? Actually I just revoked his title as Duke as that would only affect his opinion. However he is still a count, but in prison still. So who runs the county etc while he is in prison?

Please help!

If you're using steam just verify integrity of game files by right clicking on the game and going to properties.

So I hit 100 opinion with the emperor of the HRE by aiding him in various campaigns, as soon as a new emperor climbs the throne it resets, I think it's weird how they throw away a 20 years lucrative relationship just on a change of ruler. Is WAI?

The new emperor may bear no relations to the old one. He could even be someone who previously hated you.