• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I have 2 daughters, will they get any land or will it all go to my son? Whenever I hover over one of my titles it has the name of my son but I thought gavelkind splits your titles between your children? I don't want to lose any land. Should I just switch to elective?
Gavelkind will split your land between your sons under agnatic and agnatic-cognatic. If you have no sons then it will split it between your daughters. In your case, you will keep all your titles unless you have more sons. All succession laws aside from absolute cognatic will give preference to males and females won't inherit anything unless there are no eligible males.

After ragequitting my last game due to a count I pressed and won a duchy claim for became independent (my own fault for not checking beforehand how this worked, but I really couldn't be bothered to win all the land back off him) I decided to play as the King of Castille (1066 start) and I'm unsure how gavelkind works. I would change the succession law to primogeniture but my Crown Authority is too low and I can't change it.

Here is my situation: I married and had a few children with the Duchess of Tuscany who is now dead so my only son now holds all her land. I also own the Kingdom of Galicia and 2 duchies so my question is what is going to happen when my current ruler dies? He's age 53 and has smallpox so it is probably going to happen soon. I have 2 daughters, will they get any land or will it all go to my son? Whenever I hover over one of my titles it has the name of my son but I thought gavelkind splits your titles between your children? I don't want to lose any land. Should I just switch to elective?

Women are totally ignored if there's a man that can inherit. You will be fine unless you get another son (or your son mysteriously dies). When you hover over a character it will tell you what they will inherit - though this info is not always complete I think.

Thank you both for the information. I may just switch to elective anyway since you never know if a ruler or heir is going to die early and mess everything up. :D

That is half the challenge of the game...Everyone wants thier genius child to inherit everything, rather then the imbecile that was born first...

I said it already and I will say it again: Elective is best the way to go ;)

Is there a guide to using Elective effectively? I've had a few experiences with an Elective Kingdom under me as Emperor and from my experience it's not the way to go. As Emperor I controlled one Duchy in the Kingdom but the other Dukes would rarely vote for my heir even at 100 Opinion. They would also change their vote frequently (several times a year) and vote against themselves or in other weird ways. It's just looked like a crazy uncontrollable situation.

It has probably been asked a million times already, but didn't find the answer in 90 seconds of search so here goes:

Is there any way to hold on to 2 or more kingdoms without rebellion (lacking an Empire)? I seem to remember there was a mechanic that allowed you to transform a de jure kingdom into a titular title and absorb all its vassals into your primary title or something. Am I imagining things? Or am I thinking of a mod?
If that mechanic (still) exists in vanilla, how do you go about it?

Oh, okay, I thought there was something else. Apart from the initial hit to relations for destroying the title, will I make it harder for myself to deal with my vassals by doing this? Like a relations hit because I'm no de jure liege ?

How is head of muslim dynasty determined? For some reason it occasionally switches to my son and so I lose the small demesne bonus and I get hit with huge decadence gain.

Hi all, quick question:

What exactly does the experimenter leadership/military trait do? And specifically what does the +30% random mean? Does it mean if leading a flank in battle the character will be more likely to choose something random?

Quick question about Truces.

I'm England and France declared war on me for England and other titles. During the war I excommunicated the French king. I won the war and then immediately joined Flanders independence war against France, which we won. He's currently defending his Kingdom claim in a defensive war against Champagne.

How come I can now declare war on France for a county in Normandy (10 years have not passed) - and there's no Breaking Truce warning? What did that?

Last edited:
Quick question about Truces.

I'm England and France declared war on me for England and other titles. During the war I excommunicated the French king. I won the war and then immediately joined Flanders independence war against France, which we won. He's currently defending his Kingdom claim in a defensive war against Champagne.

How come I can now declare war on France for a county in Normandy (10 years have not passed) - and there's no Breaking Truce warning? What did that?

Is it the same King? I think the truce is with the ruler and not the Kingdom so if he dies, it's thrown out the window.

I have just created the Empire of Hispania and now there's a problem. The succession law become Gavelkind as soon as I created it. All of my Kingdom titles are elective and I have chosen my third son to inherit those. I figured the best way to deal with this situation is to make my first two sons bishops so I've pissed off all my vassals by revoking titles so I could do that (my sons were already barons so I had to take that from them to make this work plus I had to revoke titles from two other bishops as I had no new temple to give them). I made my first son a Bishop but for some reason it won't let me give my second son a Bishopric, when I try to the message I get is: 'Cannot disinherit your heir by making him a bishop!'. What's the deal here?

Do I have any other option other than assassinating my second son? I would rather not do that because he has pretty good stats and traits (just not quite as good as my third son) but I don't want to risk waiting 10 years so I can change the law as my ruler is currently 49 and might not live that long.

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me exactly how Byzantine inheritance works? I finally became the Emperor, and have been for a generation now, but my heir didn't have the "born in purple trait" which I believe gives them a leg up on their claim for the empire? Anyways after my wife died, I remarried, had more kids, but then my heir changed to her first son by itself (which I was glad for actually, my first son was pretty much useless with no stats over 8 and lots of sin traits). I', using the primogeniture succession, but I guess "born in the purple" supersedes that?

Well the problem I'm having now is my first son died, and now ALL my kingdom titles are going to go to my grandson for some reason, who is not my heir, the only way I can see around this is to kill him and his brother, or simply give all my kingdom titles to my heir before my current Character dies.(hes 75, shouldn't be long), but My question is why/how this happened? I made sure all my kingdom titles are primogeniture. I'm guessing this has something to do with the "born in the purple" mechanic? Is there anywhere I can get all the details on how it works exactly?

Is there a guide to using Elective effectively? I've had a few experiences with an Elective Kingdom under me as Emperor and from my experience it's not the way to go. As Emperor I controlled one Duchy in the Kingdom but the other Dukes would rarely vote for my heir even at 100 Opinion. They would also change their vote frequently (several times a year) and vote against themselves or in other weird ways. It's just looked like a crazy uncontrollable situation.
It's not really the elector's opinion of you that matters, but their opinion of your preferred heir. The heir really needs to be liked and so needs high diplomacy and good traits, so if your culture is different to that of the electors, this makes it hard, because of the penalty for being a foreigner. Also, you will find it hard to get people to vote for your child if he/she is still very young (because of low stats) and you need to temporarily elect someone else in this case. Elective is amazing for a single kingdom or even multiple kingdoms where the cultures are similar, but it does get difficult to manage once you expand a lot into other cultures. For this reason, once I'm an Emperor, I usually switch away from elective.

It has probably been asked a million times already, but didn't find the answer in 90 seconds of search so here goes:

Is there any way to hold on to 2 or more kingdoms without rebellion (lacking an Empire)? I seem to remember there was a mechanic that allowed you to transform a de jure kingdom into a titular title and absorb all its vassals into your primary title or something. Am I imagining things? Or am I thinking of a mod?
If that mechanic (still) exists in vanilla, how do you go about it?
You can use de jure drift as grandcheater said, but really I don't see why you are having so much trouble holding onto two separate kingdoms unless you're using elective and having difficulties because of being a foreigner. The vassals will dislike you somewhat because they will desire the kingdom, but usually I find this manageable. Just give gifts to keep your vassals happy and keep an eye on plots and faction. Does your character have high diplomacy? At the start of the game a lot of people tend to go for high stewardship to have more holdings, but later on in the game, you really need grey eminence characters.

I have just created the Empire of Hispania and now there's a problem. The succession law become Gavelkind as soon as I created it. All of my Kingdom titles are elective and I have chosen my third son to inherit those. I figured the best way to deal with this situation is to make my first two sons bishops so I've pissed off all my vassals by revoking titles so I could do that (my sons were already barons so I had to take that from them to make this work plus I had to revoke titles from two other bishops as I had no new temple to give them). I made my first son a Bishop but for some reason it won't let me give my second son a Bishopric, when I try to the message I get is: 'Cannot disinherit your heir by making him a bishop!'. What's the deal here?

Do I have any other option other than assassinating my second son? I would rather not do that because he has pretty good stats and traits (just not quite as good as my third son) but I don't want to risk waiting 10 years so I can change the law as my ruler is currently 49 and might not live that long.
Firstly, when you create the empire and you're currently in elective, it will switch to gavelkind. If you are in primogeniture first then it will stay primogeniture, so if I already have a lot of sons, I try to change law before creating it. If you are in free investiture (or can switch to it) and gavelkind, you can also just appoint your sons as successors to bishoprics and disinherit them. This is often preferable as you can easily change this again later if you want, but they do have to have come of age to do this.

In your situation without masses of gold to try assassinations, I would probably give titles to my main heir and just wait it out. Passing titles out to one son will reduce the number that can be inherited by the others and even if the worst happens and you die before changing laws, then you won't lose your empire, just a few minor titles which can be reclaimed later.

Last edited:
Yes, I think the truce penalty only applies to the attacker from a war. The defender can attack his former attacker immediately.
Yes, this is correct.

In the case of William the Conqueror whose eldest two children are women - do they each get a strong claim to England if the succession is Agnatic-Cognatic Primogeniture?