• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
so that mean that if i am holding the title of king of italy and sicily, and for some error in succession, i lose the king title of Sicily it wont stay as a vassal the new king of Sicily but it will become a independent realm?

If i manage to become emperor, then by doing the antipope trick you should always be able take the papacy that way?

I have noticed that the normal fabricate claim does have 0% chance to succeed on the papacy lands, is that normal?

That error in succession is called gavelkind.

I think that's only if you have a member of your dynasty be the antipope. Imma gonna try this and get back to you with that.

No, that's not normal. You should be able to fabricate claims on Rome, Orvietto, etc.

now i supported the rebellious orvieto for depose liege, now the papacy is there and in rome is a duke, the old pope. Now i can fabricate claims. That's odd and strange.

About succession. If i got the kingdom of sicily with primogeniture, and the kingdom of italy with elective, dont each law count on each realm? So in sicily my firstborn male will inherit but in italy the electors could support someone else as the firstborn. Or am i wrong here? (just to be sure i destroyed the kingdom of sicily as all dukes where pissed about me having that title)

Is there a way to appoint a son of yours to be a bishop without having the crown law of investiture?

Is there a way to appoint a son of yours to be a bishop without having the crown law of investiture?

If you revoke a temple holding (tyranny), then you can grant them that title.
If you "holy war" and gain all holdings in a county you can grant them the title.

NOTE: you can not grant your direct hier a title that will disinherit them. But you can grant that title to their first born son, before your son inherits.

Emperor of Hispania, son a bishop of Nowheresville Antipope, pressed his claim, made him Pope... but Papacy still independent.
There is only one way I know of to get the Pope of your vassal, which is to have a King-Bishop vassal, make him Anti-Pope and press his claim on the Papacy. After this he will still be your vassal. I have tested this in version 1.06b, but getting a King-Bishop vassal is a bit of a pain in the first place. Even if your Anti-Pope is of your dynasty, pressing his claim will result in independence unless he already has a King level title (which is the same level as that of the Papacy).

now i supported the rebellious orvieto for depose liege, now the papacy is there and in rome is a duke, the old pope. Now i can fabricate claims. That's odd and strange.
I've never really tried this, but you can probably fabricate claims when Rome is not controlled by the Pope and that makes sense. You'll never get a claim on the Papacy though because it's a King level title.

About succession. If i got the kingdom of sicily with primogeniture, and the kingdom of italy with elective, dont each law count on each realm? So in sicily my firstborn male will inherit but in italy the electors could support someone else as the firstborn. Or am i wrong here? (just to be sure i destroyed the kingdom of sicily as all dukes where pissed about me having that title)
Yes, you and the Dukes in Italy would have been able to vote for their favourite heir for Italy.

Last edited:
When it comes to buildings is it smart to add more castles (barronies) to a province? Also, let's say I'm a duke with 3 counties (4 titles total). For building improvements should I only add things to the 3 county holdings? Or should I improve the towns and/or churches?

It's better to have one fully upgraded barony than several base ones. Upgrade and then build more holdings. I recommend if you are on a coastal province to build a city instead. Gold, gold, glorious gold...

It's better to have one fully upgraded barony than several base ones. Upgrade and then build more holdings. I recommend if you are on a coastal province to build a city instead. Gold, gold, glorious gold...

If I build the city do I appoint myself as mayor? And if I'm mayor don't I suffer apenality for wrong type? Does it matter who the mayor is when it comes to income? I guess what I'm confused about is if I have a coastal county and it currently has a town, bishopric and castle in it (but I'm not the baron, mayor or priest) then I build another town in that county what difference would that second town make? As duke I shouldn't be mayor right? And if I name a mayor it ends up the same as the first town doesn't it?

If I build the city do I appoint myself as mayor? And if I'm mayor don't I suffer apenality for wrong type? Does it matter who the mayor is when it comes to income?
Generally I build cities in coastal provinces. If the province isn't coastal then I just pick castles for troops and cities for gold. The point here is that you get some very good bonuses from some of the buildings in coastal cities which make it very worthwhile. Usually you never have a reason to build a bishopric unless you are forced to due to the province not already having one.

If you build a city, then assign a mayor to govern it because you will get the wrong holding type penalties otherwise and that is not efficient. Who you pick for a mayor isn't really too important, but someone with high stewardship that isn't ambitious would be best; I tend to just use the create vassal option after building cities.

I guess what I'm confused about is if I have a coastal county and it currently has a town, bishopric and castle in it (but I'm not the baron, mayor or priest) then I build another town in that county what difference would that second town make? As duke I shouldn't be mayor right? And if I name a mayor it ends up the same as the first town doesn't it?
If the county is held by a vassal of yours and you build a city then you will become mayor. You should then either assign a mayor to govern it, or just give it to your vassal Count (he will then give it to a mayor that will be his vassal). If you choose to assign a mayor and keep that mayor as your direct vassal then the Count will have a -25 opinion of you for this and will want you to transfer the vassalage. This can be ok in some situations, but you might have trouble with his opinion of you.

My current character was Emperor and he surrendered to his uncle but the uncle now has no heir (the heir shows up as himself) though he has two sons. Could this be because his sons don't have a claim to the Empire or because Crown Authority prevents the inheritance? Would a newborn son become his heir?

Also, what causes De Jure Kingdom Drift? Created the Persian Empire and have Kingdoms of Anatolia, Syria, and Mesopotamia but Anatolia is drifting to the Persian Sultanate while the other two Kingdoms are not drifting at all.

Last edited:
Generally I build cities in coastal provinces. If the province isn't coastal then I just pick castles for troops and cities for gold. The point here is that you get some very good bonuses from some of the buildings in coastal cities which make it very worthwhile. Usually you never have a reason to build a bishopric unless you are forced to due to the province not already having one.

If you build a city, then assign a mayor to govern it because you will get the wrong holding type penalties otherwise and that is not efficient. Who you pick for a mayor isn't really too important, but someone with high stewardship that isn't ambitious would be best; I tend to just use the create vassal option after building cities.

If the county is held by a vassal of yours and you build a city then you will become mayor. You should then either assign a mayor to govern it, or just give it to your vassal Count (he will then give it to a mayor that will be his vassal). If you choose to assign a mayor and keep that mayor as your direct vassal then the Count will have a -25 opinion of you for this and will want you to transfer the vassalage. This can be ok in some situations, but you might have trouble with his opinion of you.

thank you for your insight. One final question or clarification. In that coastal province is it better to add more cities or is it better to first build up the existing city?

How do I find a character ? I get 'dude has been assassinated by other dude' but I can't find the murderer.

There is only one way I know of to get the Pope of your vassal, which is to have a King-Bishop vassal, make him Anti-Pope and press his claim on the Papacy. After this he will still be your vassal. I have tested this in version 1.06b, but getting a King-Bishop vassal is a bit of a pain in the first place. Even if your Anti-Pope is of your dynasty, pressing his claim will result in independence unless he already has a King level title (which is the same level as that of the Papacy).

I've never really tried this, but you can probably fabricate claims when Rome is not controlled by the Pope and that makes sense. You'll never get a claim on the Papacy though because it's a King level title.

Yes, you and the Dukes in Italy would have been able to vote for their favourite heir for Italy.

But why this, when i started to conquer Sicily i could easy fabricate claims on his land and he too had a king title. Why fabricating claims on the papacy should be different?

My current character was Emperor and he surrendered to his uncle but the uncle now has no heir (the heir shows up as himself) though he has two sons. Could this be because his sons don't have a claim to the Empire or because Crown Authority prevents the inheritance? Would a newborn son become his heir?

Also, what causes De Jure Kingdom Drift? Created the Persian Empire and have Kingdoms of Anatolia, Syria, and Mesopotamia but Anatolia is drifting to the Persian Sultanate while the other two Kingdoms are not drifting at all.

Duchies will drift into a kingdom when every single count in the duchy is defacto a part of the kingdom, and the ducal title is not held by someone not within the kingdom. Kingdoms drift when that holds true for every single duchy in the kingdom, and nobody outside the kingdom holds the king title. In this case, a county or two (or the kingdom titles themselves) are probably held by someone outside of your realm.

A quick question. I have an antipope set up in my realm, but when I ask for an excommunication for one of my own vassals (to imprison, fail, get revolt, revoke title) the excom. request got sent to the Pope in Rome, not the Antipope in some random county. Moreover, the Pope actually made another excomunnication within my realm, which is one of the main reasons you set up an antipope, to avoid them!

Also, I think there's a console command to see the character ID when you hover the mouse over their portraits, but I'm not sure...

A quick question. I have an antipope set up in my realm, but when I ask for an excommunication for one of my own vassals (to imprison, fail, get revolt, revoke title) the excom. request got sent to the Pope in Rome, not the Antipope in some random county. Moreover, the Pope actually made another excomunnication within my realm, which is one of the main reasons you set up an antipope, to avoid them!

Also, I think there's a console command to see the character ID when you hover the mouse over their portraits, but I'm not sure...

The console command is "charinfo x", where x is whatever you want it to be...I have no idea why they changed it to that from just "charinfo"

Simple Inheritance Question: Say there are three sons. The first one inherits an Empire but then the second one acquires it via war, if the second one dies does the first son one inherit again or does the third son inherit? Is the first son passed over? Also, do the rules hold the same for cousins and further down the family tree? Basically does inheritance always work to the right from the current position or not?