• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Each time I want to grant a landed title to a woman, I can't because "It is impossible under the current succession law". My succession law is agnactic-cognatic primogeniture, so I thought, as women can inherit, they could also be granted title. What am I missing then? Should it be Absolute Cognatic?

The only way to grant landed titles to women is in Absolute Cognatic (or, I suppose, if you have no men at all in your territory.)

I'm playing Lux Invicta as SPQR (an elective-succession empire that I'm having no trouble keeping hold of). Having conquered a significant swathe of land and numerous de jure kingdoms, I find myself having to ask-- is it better to 1) hold onto those kingdoms myself, 2) hand them off to a duke inside the de jure kingdom whom I can trust to be loyal, or 3) destroy them, just controlling the dukes myself as Emperor? I'd love to hold onto them all, but that leads to people hating me. Giving them to dukes probably means those now-kings are more likely to plot and revolt for independence, right? And destroying them... other than causing people to hate me, is there a downside to that?

I'm playing Lux Invicta as SPQR (an elective-succession empire that I'm having no trouble keeping hold of). Having conquered a significant swathe of land and numerous de jure kingdoms, I find myself having to ask-- is it better to 1) hold onto those kingdoms myself, 2) hand them off to a duke inside the de jure kingdom whom I can trust to be loyal, or 3) destroy them, just controlling the dukes myself as Emperor? I'd love to hold onto them all, but that leads to people hating me. Giving them to dukes probably means those now-kings are more likely to plot and revolt for independence, right? And destroying them... other than causing people to hate me, is there a downside to that?
I've never played Lux Invicta, but I assume most of the mechanics for this would work in the same way. In regular CK2 I think that when you are managing a large empire and are having trouble with dukes revolting due to distance and "desires kingdom" penalties, it's definitely beneficial to give out the kingdom titles for those far away lands. It's usually very easy to keep a single king happy with the occasional gift, but keeping a large number of long-distance dukes happy can be very difficult in some cases. If you have vassal kings, keep a very close eye on their opinions, try to make sure they are of your dynasty and offer to educate their heir as they turn 6 years old so you can give them useful traits like the content trait. I would rarely destroy the titles as the penalties are horrible and you miss out on the prestige you get even for having vassal kings.

Short version Is usurping of new Kingdom titles best to integrate the a new kingdom into your realm?

Long version Starting as Norway in 1066 in my second game, i called back my invasion to rather try and consolidate a "scandinavian empire". After some civil wars, i have managed to have complete control of my kingdom where the succession goes to my oldest son instead of votes. To expand i have primarily used the claim county button on different Swedish counties. After some wars, i have the possibility to usurp the kingdom of Sweden. My problem is that i only have two, yet very strong duchies, in Norway, so it is difficult to get my son to inherent the kingdom of Sweden, as their succession are by votes. Maybe there are some tricks here i dont understand. But my question is, should i not usurp the kingdom of sweden? What is really the benefit of being the king of sweden as well as Norway, when i have it de-facto under my control? Could i just take all the territories and forget about the title?

Thanks!

Short version Is usurping of new Kingdom titles best to integrate the a new kingdom into your realm?

Long version Starting as Norway in 1066 in my second game, i called back my invasion to rather try and consolidate a "scandinavian empire". After some civil wars, i have managed to have complete control of my kingdom where the succession goes to my oldest son instead of votes. To expand i have primarily used the claim county button on different Swedish counties. After some wars, i have the possibility to usurp the kingdom of Sweden. My problem is that i only have two, yet very strong duchies, in Norway, so it is difficult to get my son to inherent the kingdom of Sweden, as their succession are by votes. Maybe there are some tricks here i dont understand. But my question is, should i not usurp the kingdom of sweden? What is really the benefit of being the king of sweden as well as Norway, when i have it de-facto under my control? Could i just take all the territories and forget about the title?

Thanks!
If you have taken enough counties to usurp the title then you must surely be able to either usurp or create most of the duchy titles within Sweden. If this is the case, then you can install dukes of your own dynasty and culture and they will probably vote for your heir. Having a foreign kingdom as elective is problematic because of the culture differences and the electors not liking your heir, but if the dukes are of your culture and dynasty then I think you should be ok until you are able to change succession laws. You could just leave someone else with the kingdom title, but I wouldn't really like to do this as you then don't have control over laws and you lose out on a lot of prestige. Once you usurp the title you will also be able to press dejure claims to claim the rest of the land, which is definitely beneficial.

Is there any in-game way to spread culture overseas? I control a large part of Africa and Jerusalem, but I haven't had a single "Let's bring some people from home" events in 50 years, nor have my vassals.

Could the fact that I'm a Greek king of Sicily be a part of the problem?

The only way to grant landed titles to women is in Absolute Cognatic (or, I suppose, if you have no men at all in your territory.)

You can grant land to women under agnatic-cognatic, too, but they have to be already land owners (by heritage or by pressing a claim) before you can grant them additional land/titles.

I'm playing as an independent Italy and I've taken most of Spain. Occasionally my vassals become independent for no apparent reason. They don't declare war, I get no pop up and no claim on the lands.

This has only happened with two duchies the first was the Republic of Pisa. This wasn't a problem as i was their de jure liege and they accepted my offer of vasselization. It's now started happening with Leon. I've only recently conquered it and gave it to a distant kinsman. The trouble is they won't accept my offer of vasselization as I'm not their de jure liege. I've got no CB on them and no way of re-claiming my lands. I've tried creating the Kingdom of Leon but this isn't working either they still break free. Any suggestion for why this is happening and how to stop it?

Is there any in-game way to spread culture overseas? I control a large part of Africa and Jerusalem, but I haven't had a single "Let's bring some people from home" events in 50 years, nor have my vassals.

Could the fact that I'm a Greek king of Sicily be a part of the problem?
In my experiences culture spread seems to very rarely happen at all unless it's very close to your core lands and capital.

I'm playing as an independent Italy and I've taken most of Spain. Occasionally my vassals become independent for no apparent reason. They don't declare war, I get no pop up and no claim on the lands.

This has only happened with two duchies the first was the Republic of Pisa. This wasn't a problem as i was their de jure liege and they accepted my offer of vasselization. It's now started happening with Leon. I've only recently conquered it and gave it to a distant kinsman. The trouble is they won't accept my offer of vasselization as I'm not their de jure liege. I've got no CB on them and no way of re-claiming my lands. I've tried creating the Kingdom of Leon but this isn't working either they still break free. Any suggestion for why this is happening and how to stop it?
Are you absolutely sure that you had no popups for vassal inheritance warnings or for when the duke died and was succeeded? Does the now independent Duke of Leon hold any other titles?

how do you grant independence to your vassals?

Give them the same level title as your primary title is.

or

Make them angry enough so they declare war for independence, then surrender that war.

So, King of Aquitaine, I own the county of Viscaya in Spain. I am the ruler of the county, but I hold too many counties. So I want to give away the county of Viscaya to balance things. I want to do it in a cunning way, but I'm not sure that it's going to work:

I invited a courtier from a duchy in the HRE to my court, and I want to give him the county of Viscaya. What I am not sure of is, what is going to happen when he inherits the duchy? Will I lose Viscaya to the HRE? Or will the HRE lose the duchy to my kingdom?
Note: Both the HRE and I have limited crown authority.

So, King of Aquitaine, I own the county of Viscaya in Spain. I am the ruler of the county, but I hold too many counties. So I want to give away the county of Viscaya to balance things. I want to do it in a cunning way, but I'm not sure that it's going to work:

I invited a courtier from a duchy in the HRE to my court, and I want to give him the county of Viscaya. What I am not sure of is, what is going to happen when he inherits the duchy? Will I lose Viscaya to the HRE? Or will the HRE lose the duchy to my kingdom?
Note: Both the HRE and I have limited crown authority.

HRE should lose Duchy if he is your direct vassal, i.e. not under some Duke, AFAIR.

HRE should lose Duchy if he is your direct vassal, i.e. not under some Duke, AFAIR.

Er, well, I followed your advice, as I was thinking the same thing, and I lost Viscaya... So it seems that if a ruler rank N inherit a title rank M with M>N, then he becomes vassal of Liege of title M, unless the liege of title N has High Crown Authority... Or maybe there is some De Jure rules being applied here too, I don't know.

Er, well, I followed your advice, as I was thinking the same thing, and I lost Viscaya... So it seems that if a ruler rank N inherit a title rank M with M>N, then he becomes vassal of Liege of title M, unless the liege of title N has High Crown Authority... Or maybe there is some De Jure rules being applied here too, I don't know.

Oh, you are right, he should have been Duke too. My mistake.

So it seems that if a ruler rank N inherit a title rank M with M>N, then he becomes vassal of Liege of title M, unless the liege of title N has High Crown Authority
This is correct. If you had given him a duchy first then when he inherited the other duchy, he would have stayed your vassal and the HRE duchy would have become part of your realm.

I cant press duchy, only counties it contains (cant press all claims neither)

Hi, anyone can help me with this? I pressed duchies or all claims in my game before (Russia, trying to clean all the Rurikovich mess in the east), but now I have claim on duchy of Novgorod, but when I try to use is as CB, I only have option to press claim on single counties that the duchy contains. I dont have the option to "press all claim" (which I consider to be a good improvement) neither. Could it be because my current ruler (the second since the start) only inherited the claims and they are not "strong" now?

Thanks

Hi, anyone can help me with this? I pressed duchies or all claims in my game before (Russia, trying to clean all the Rurikovich mess in the east), but now I have claim on duchy of Novgorod, but when I try to use is as CB, I only have option to press claim on single counties that the duchy contains. I dont have the option to "press all claim" (which I consider to be a good improvement) neither. Could it be because my current ruler (the second since the start) only inherited the claims and they are not "strong" now?
Yes. Weak claims can only be pressed against a female rulers (if you're male), regencies, titles being contested in war, or ones that you are 2nd or 3rd in line to inherit. If the claim was strong or any of those conditions were true then you'd see it listed in the declare war screen to claim the duchy. If you really want to press the claim yourself now, you could try assassinating the current ruler if his heir is a child or female.

Last edited: