• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I created the Kingdom of Brittany recently. I am a king with many kingdoms.

One of my duke vassals has recently managed to acquire a third and then a fourth county of his own in Brittany.

Currently the Kingdom of Brittany consists of six counties. So three counties should be enough to create the kingdom title.

Can my duke vassal usurp the Kingdom of Brittany from me and become independent without a war? Or will he need to fight me for it? Thanks for your help.

Edit 1: Oh dear, never mind! I realized as I pressed 'Post' that I could just load a save and play as the Duke of Brittany to figure it out. Here is the result - he cannot usurp a title from someone in his realm unless he has a claim on it. Nobody in the world has a claim on Kingdom of Brittany. So I am safe...for now.

Edit 2: But I am still curious - if some Duke of Brittany down the line gets a claim by marrying into my family, can (s)he usurp the title from me without war? I think (s)he can, but I am not sure.

Last edited:
I created the Kingdom of Brittany recently. I am a king with many kingdoms.

One of my duke vassals has recently managed to acquire a third and then a fourth county of his own in Brittany.

Currently the Kingdom of Brittany consists of six counties. So three counties should be enough to create the kingdom title.

Can my duke vassal usurp the Kingdom of Brittany from me and become independent without a war? Or will he need to fight me for it? Thanks for your help.

Edit 1: Oh dear, never mind! I realized as I pressed 'Post' that I could just load a save and play as the Duke of Brittany to figure it out. Here is the result - he cannot usurp a title from someone in his realm unless he has a claim on it. Nobody in the world has a claim on Kingdom of Brittany. So I am safe...for now.

Edit 2: But I am still curious - if some Duke of Brittany down the line gets a claim by marrying into my family, can (s)he usurp the title from me without war? I think (s)he can, but I am not sure.

Pretty sure you cannot become independent by creating a title. It will require either a war or an inheritance.

Is there some guide or manual for muslim rulers? For example I would like to know what's the advantage in having four wifes. As far as I can tell, more wifes = more sons = more trouble? Any gameplay reason to have more than one or two wifes?

I'm currently trying to pass a law to increase crown authority. Nearly all of my vassals who can vote on it have 100 opinion of me. So, in theory, this shouldn't be a problem. The trouble is, we keep reaching ~11-14 votes out of 67 possible votes--and then the voting resets and starts from the beginning again without my intervention. The Duke of Cornwall, for example, has voted in support of my law five times so far. The voting just keeps starting over.

This isn't the only time it's happened - this frequently happens whenever I try to pass any law. I am wondering if there is something I'm (unknowingly) doing to cause the voting to repeatedly restart, or if this is how passing a law works (if so, why is this happening?). Thanks for your help.

Newbie question time:

Okay, so I managed to conquer the provinces needed to create the Kingdom of Wales, which I do. I have my oldest son as heir (feudal election though), but I still get that "title loss on succession" statement over the two provinces in Ireland I conquered, as well as the duchy of Gwynneth.

First of all, why do I get Title Succession Loss on the duchy of Gwynneth, when it states my heir will inherit my title as King of Wales?

Secondly, I tried making him the duke of Gwynneth, but that just makes me lose a significant amount of income and not really optimal. And should I give out counties and duchies for the provinces I get title succession loss on when creating the Kingdom of Wales, I am stuck with only like 2 counties of my own.

What am I missing with the whole title loss on succession? As it is there is absolutely no reason to make the kingdom of Wales for me.

Is it possible to make the game pause when a battle or siege ends? If so, how? I have the message options set to pause, but it's not happening.

Is it possible to make the game pause when a battle or siege ends? If so, how? I have the message options set to pause, but it's not happening.

I can't look ingame at the moment, but in the folder where your settings.txt is (somewhere in user/Documents/Paradox...) there is a folder called "interface", in this folder is a file called messagetypes_custom.txt where your message settings are saved. Searching for "battle" you will find some entries, for example
LANDBATTLEOVER_WIN=
{
option=no
category="cat_military"
close_priority=1
interest_priority=1
priority=1
sound="battle_won"
letter_event=no
picture=""
retain_priority=no
close_pause=yes
interest_pause=yes
pausegame=yes
message_log=no
}
is from my file for pausing and pop up when a landbattle is won.

Edit: I'm seeing it is possible to do a lot more things in this file than what we get in the ingame option. I'm looking at close_pause - I was always wondering about the different behaviors when closing a pausing event - some events resume the game some not. This causes a lot of trouble for me (playing at max speed with my hand and space key).

I've been hearing about this thing called 'de jure drift'. Can anyone explain it as I can't find anything on the wiki.

I've been hearing about this thing called 'de jure drift'. Can anyone explain it as I can't find anything on the wiki.

It works similarly to cores in EU.

Once you conquer a province which is de Jure of another realm it starts to "drift", you must retain that province for 100 years at which point it becomes de Jure of your realm (you get a core).

So say you were king of both Ireland and Scotland and owned all the territories with Scotland as the primary title. Will those provinces drift to the kingdom of Scotland naturally or will I have to destroy the title for the kingdom of Ireland in order for the drift to occur?

Also will this cause the title for kingdom of Ireland to vanish?

So say you were king of both Ireland and Scotland and owned all the territories with Scotland as the primary title. Will those provinces drift to the kingdom of Scotland naturally or will I have to destroy the title for the kingdom of Ireland in order for the drift to occur?

Also will this cause the title for kingdom of Ireland to vanish?

You need to destroy the title King of Ireland.

After the drift is completed, the title will still exist, but it will only be titular, meaning no territory will be attached to it.

I'm a duke, ruled by a king. I have way more land, troops, money etc than the king does. But I don't want to get his title by military actions. So, how do I get his title?

He has now 2 daughters, a son and another daughter, all of them 4-0 years old. The son is the heir. I got 2 30 years old sons and a 1 year old grandson whom I try to marry (get betrothed) with one of the daughters, but the king wont accept this because "desires a better alliance", he is afraid of me =(
Tbh, I don't care which one of my dynasty inherits king's title.

I'm a duke, ruled by a king. I have way more land, troops, money etc than the king does. But I don't want to get his title by military actions. So, how do I get his title?

He has now 2 daughters, a son and another daughter, all of them 4-0 years old. The son is the heir. I got 2 30 years old sons and a 1 year old grandson whom I try to marry (get betrothed) with one of the daughters, but the king wont accept this because "desires a better alliance", he is afraid of me =(
Tbh, I don't care which one of my dynasty inherits king's title.

He`s not really afraid of you. He already have some alliance with you, you being his vassal. And daughters are more subject to alliance with other countries, so he may keep them for this. Try to rise his opinion of you if not already. Also, low age children usually have no traits at all so it may be harder to bethroth them. Try to wait until they`re 12-13. I don`t recall the AI bethroth by himself, like if that option is inexistant to him..

It will also depends on what succession laws your liege have. The AI is more inclined in bethroth/marry children that are next to the heir, not the heir himself. So you may marry them and fight your way in assasination until your couple gets it. But like I said, it all depends on the kingdom succession laws

I've played until my grandson got 16 years old. I am at ~80 opinion with my king, that's like "+++++" there, my grandson has ++++ on "skills" but the minus on "desires a better alliance" still overrides all the plus sides of the marriage.
Succession is male only, I thought it would be easy to get one of the daughters but no =( Also, none of the neighbor kings wants to marry his daughters with my son, same reason. I really think they are just afraid of me getting claims.
Any idea what else I might try?

Is there a way to look at the history of wars that have been fought? (Not the wars that are currently going on.)
Not sure, but I think there is some war stats in the ledger. Dunno if its ongoing wars or already completed though.

Each time I want to grant a landed title to a woman, I can't because "It is impossible under the current succession law". My succession law is agnactic-cognatic primogeniture, so I thought, as women can inherit, they could also be granted title. What am I missing then? Should it be Absolute Cognatic?