• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hmm. Well, something strange happened. Playing as the King of Scotland, I married Margaret of Wessex, who has a strong claim on England that was apparently inheritable by children. However, when I died, my heir didn't have a claim to England. Am I missing something?

Hmm. Well, something strange happened. Playing as the King of Scotland, I married Margaret of Wessex, who has a strong claim on England that was apparently inheritable by children. However, when I died, my heir didn't have a claim to England. Am I missing something?

Is she also dead?

Inheritable claims inherit at death.

I just tried elective monarchy and there are some points I don't understand.
At the moment it's not my chosen successor who will be elected.

- My main title is a duchy and I have a duchy and counties as secondary titles. My main duchy is in elective monarchy but when I check secondary titles they are in primogeniture! In my character screen, my heir is not the one who will be elected but the one for primogeniture... is this WAD ? I don't get it.

- How to influence electors to vote for my heir ? Even my chosen successor doesn't vote for himself... does he have to be an adult ?

Why is this happening...
I'm the King of Croatia with Agnatic Gravelkind succession. I have 3 healthy sons! My 2nd eldest daughter married a Polish prince and had a son before she died. Now all of a sudden the game has made this little polish kid the heir and it'll be game over once I die!?!?!?
How so?

- My main title is a duchy and I have a duchy and counties as secondary titles. My main duchy is in elective monarchy but when I check secondary titles they are in primogeniture! In my character screen, my heir is not the one who will be elected but the one for primogeniture... is this WAD ? I don't get it.

- How to influence electors to vote for my heir ? Even my chosen successor doesn't vote for himself... does he have to be an adult ?
Different titles of the same level have different inheritance laws. So if you have two duchies and no kingdoms (or empires) you will always have two inheritance laws. These can be set to be the same type however.

Why is this happening...
I'm the King of Croatia with Agnatic Gravelkind succession. I have 3 healthy sons! My 2nd eldest daughter married a Polish prince and had a son before she died. Now all of a sudden the game has made this little polish kid the heir and it'll be game over once I die!?!?!?
How so?

Continuing on with this... I died, but my heir was just a duke. The Polish toddler took the King title. A quick rundown on why this happened and how Gravelkind works would be much appreciated, because this has ruined the save for me. Did me changing it to just Agnatic have something to do with it? (I wouldve assumed it would prevent grandkids via daughters from inheriting?)

EDIT: I think I figured it out. The daughter was older than the sons, so her son shot to first on the pecking order. Still ruined my game though, live and learn!

Last edited:
Different titles of the same level have different inheritance laws. So if you have two duchies and no kingdoms (or empires) you will always have two inheritance laws. These can be set to be the same type however.
This. If you create a new Ducal title it will have the same laws as your primary title. But if you inherit/capture it, it may have different laws.
Why is this happening...
How so?
It's a bug. The game is currently not checking if heirs who inherited their place in the order of succession inherited their place through a male or female line. In your case, if your daughter had been male, then her son would be the correct primary heir (as the most senior claimant on the most senior male line). Also, if she were alive, then the game would pass her over in favor of her brothers. But when she's dead, the game doesn't check if she was male or female, so it mistakenly puts her son ahead of his uncles.

I recommend using the console to fix things, or savegame editing. (If you remove the "mother" line on your grandson's entry in the savegame, then he won't inherit when you die).

I recently managed to grap some Land in the areas around Jerusalem area because of a revolt, but I'm facing a few issues (sorry for all the questions, thank you if you're willing to take your time.)

Half of my sons (3 out of 5) died due to the slow fever. My charaster is the only son of his father, and me and hus fathers half-brother and his son were the only ones of our dynasty at the start. Their line only produced 2 sons. I even made one of my sons a bishop because I thought that I had way too many, and should try to limit the number of claimants.

- Now I want to keep at least all ducal titles in family hands, so I gave my bishop son a county thinking he would be a count. He became a prince-bishop of course. Is there any way to bring him out of the life of the cloth without having to strip him of two titles? I need grandchildren!
-- In regard to him having a bishopric title in Sicily and prince-bishopry in Damascus, is there any penalties for this? Will his successor inherit both titles?

- Speaking of prince-bishops, are there any advantages/disadvantages to having them? They seem like a very stable alternative, that wont inherit their way into trouble (for me) and I can appoint the next one from loyal courtiers with free investure.
-- Will they help converting the county faster?
-- Is there any way to make a random courtier a prince-bishop without nominating them as successor? Is it enough to simply grant the county to the local bishop? What happens with the barony that I hold?
- My daughter is married to the Kaiser. If I rebel for independence, do I have an actual alliance with him?

I'm in the rather troublesome position of being a vassal of the ERE. This gave me some much needed protection when Sicily was hot stuff for the North African Muslims (not so much after France and I took a swathe of it). Now it's become very strong and:
- It's converting my Islamic holdings to Orthodoxy. Will it do this for my (very few!) catholic holdings too? Wont this actually make converting it to Catholicism faster?
- The emperor somehow has strong claims on all the land I've taken in Sicily. I guess it's because they're de-jure part of the ERE? Will he start taking counties from me?

Last edited:
Not exactly a Quick Question perhaps, but I don't think it warrants a new thread: what are some good candidades for a future King of Jerusalem from among the starting characters in 1066 that are not kings or emperors? I.e. not kings and not emperors (at the start) that have a chance of winning a crusade and holding onto their conquest.

Well, that depends. Do you need to be independent when you become king? A duke in the HRE or a catholic count/duke in the ERE could spend all their resources preparing to participate in the first, and then have the protections of their lieges (the quality of what the ERE can offer greatly varies game by game). You could also be any powerful duke, in France and then get your independence when you win Jerusalem. Toulouse seems an obvious choice. If you're willing to be part of the HRE for some time, also the duchess of Tuscany.

Otherwise, maybe Dulkja? There are other powerful dukes of counts with potential, but the issue is the distance from Jerusalem means keeping it alive is very hard once you get it and before holy orders and conquest penalties disappear.

I'm playing as the independent count of house Spartenos in Sicily, swore alligance to the duke of apulla, converted to catholicism, then swore allegiance to the ERE when he went belly up against an islamic invasion and took most of it back personally. I never win the crusade, but I hold Galilee, Tripoli and some of Damascus since the Fatimids had a major rebellion. I plan to be KoJ before 1150.

Got the game a little over a week ago and am very addicted. Got some beginners questions:

1. Is there a way to get a message, when a weak claim can be pressed? When I load a game I get a popup with and overview, but never during play. For all I know I have opportunities come and go without ever realizing it.

2. How do you best reconcile wanting to marry for claims and inheritances while running your personal eugenics program? I don't mind the prestige loss from marrying my Crown Prince to a Lowborn courtier if she's a Midas Touched genius, but claims I actually want tend to have rather poor offspring.

3. Related question: Once you run your Kingdom what is the best way to get your hands on a 2nd one without having to marry a claimant? Marrying offspring who wont inherit to a claimant works for counties and duchies, but not for Kingdoms after all since they can't become your vassals. Thus far the only way I see is a piece by piece takeover of smaller parts until you can usurp.

4. If the target of a Crusade is not Jerusalem, how do you know which province to occupy to get the Crusader trait? The target countries capital?

5. Under Feudal Elective is there any difference between Agnatic-Cognatic and Full Cognatic except for granting landed titles?

6. Under Feudal Elective does the current title holder get a tie-breaking vote? I always seem to get lucky when it's split even between my choice and another candidate.

7. Can some cultures have female army leaders? I sometimes see female courtiers having leadership traits like "Heavy Infantry Leader" when clicking through characters in other Realms.

8. What conditions do you need to fulfil to create an Empire? I have united Finland and Denmark under my Crown thus far and taken over about a 3rd of Sweden and am wondering if I should get the option to Create a Title or something. Since there is no Empire of Scandinavia in existence at the moment I can't really check the conditions.

9. If a Vassals presumed heir is a foreigner which will lead to it passing outside my realm and I can't raise my Crown Authority to High (and wouldn't want to really either) what's the most cost-effective way to prevent that. Revoke and make do with the opinion penalty from the others? Try to provoke a rebellion? If yes, besides making him Court Jester how do you best lower the opinion of just one specific vassal?

I can answer some of your questions:
2. I generally don't marry for stats but rather for claims/inheritance. It just feels better in a role-playing way.
3. Marry someone further down the line of succession and murder your way up. Also getting your hands on big duchies can help to get enough holdings to either usurp or request an invasion.
7. No. The leadership traits affect the spouse, as far as I know.
8. If you view a title and toggle "de jure" it should show every title above it. That leads you to the Empires and their conditions.
9. You can lower the opinion of a vassal quickly by assigning him to a council position and immediately firing him again, repeatedly. Though I would consider this gamey. As an alternative you can always murder the heir ;)

I got a quick question as well:
My brother is my de jure vassal and anti pope. I pressed his claim on the papacy and once i won the war, he became independant. The tooltip though says that he should remain my vassal. What am I doing wrong?

I got a quick question as well:
My brother is my de jure vassal and anti pope. I pressed his claim on the papacy and once i won the war, he became independant. The tooltip though says that he should remain my vassal. What am I doing wrong?

The Papacy is a King level title if I'm not mistaken, so you would need to be an Emperor to be his liege, and even then, I'm not really sure if you can vassalize The Pope.

I am the Emperor of Britannia.

But the Papal States are de Jure vassals to nobody.
If your brother's main title is Pope then he can't be your vassal.
I guess you might be able to vassalize the Papacy if you take it by sword point, but that won't fare well in the relationship with your brother. =P

In any case the only instance in which I think I saw the Pope as vassal to someone, was in the "strange screenshots" thread with the guy who had a Mongol/Tengri Pope as vassal.

What decides what names new baronies/cities/temples in a province will have?
landed_titles in the folder common\landed_titles. Each county has several barony names defined, and the game will pick the next one on the list upon creating a barony.
What exactly the name shows up as in the game is defined in the localisation files, as in landed_titles they're named things like b_constantinople. Just search for the tag in the localisation file and you should find the in-game name easily enough.

I'm playing as Duke of Savoy and the Kaiser has it in for me.His Opinion of me has a -50 Ambitious modifier.He doesn't have this modifier to any of the German Dukes.I even changed my culture to German.Is it because he has claims on my titles?

I'm playing as Duke of Savoy and the Kaiser has it in for me.His Opinion of me has a -50 Ambitious modifier.He doesn't have this modifier to any of the German Dukes.I even changed my culture to German.Is it because he has claims on my titles?
Yes. Ambitious will give the -50 opinion modifier whenever the Ambitious character wants your titles.