• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Do christian rulers have any alternative to muslim invasions, other than waiting for the pope to maybe call a crusade? I'm not sure how to go about doing any significant damage to them, when they can take all of Turkey/Greece/Hungary just a year or two at a time.

Against the Fatimids, go directly for duchies in Egypt. Once you get half, you can usurp the title and make the entire realm disintegrate into independent duchies.

Against the Fatimids, go directly for duchies in Egypt. Once you get half, you can usurp the title and make the entire realm disintegrate into independent duchies.

Most games I played, the Pope calls a Crusade on Jerusalem (Fatimid at start) after the Fatimids calls a Jihad, usually for Southern Italy or a Bizantine territory, that's your window since they can't fight a war in three fronts.

Yeah but the timing was off in my game, which had catastrophic consequences.

1: Seljuks and fatimids have their usual holy wars against the Byzantines, the war seems going in favor of the Byzantines as they endure and hold their ground.
2: The pope declares his usual crusade. It's an utter failure as no decent sized nation joins in.
3: Seljuks dclare their usual holy war, but the fatimids wait a few years until both sides are war exhausted, then declare an invasion of Greece. The byzentines have no chance.
4: Pope calls crusade for Greece, random Welsh Duke wins because the Byzantines, helped by me, are trying to save what's left of Anatolia. We win that phyrric victory as Greece becomes a mess of independant nations and muslims, picking their lands back whenever possible.
5: Fatimids declare invasion on Hungary, which has grown considerably in the last 150 years. Well, not enough to deal with 15 doomstacks coming their way. The HRE pointedly ignores this.
6: The new byzantine emperor joins the winning team somewhere along the line.

So now I'm playing as Aragon and somehow suspect that the HRE will ignore any crusade for Hungary as it's had before. I wouldn't worry, if the Fatimids haven't called three jihads for me (holding southern half of Spain and most of Kingdom of Africa) already. But then France and the HRE suddenly want to help stop them?!

Last edited:
Are the traits for most of the default characters randomly selected? I just noticed Margaret of Wessex (a saint) have the cynicism trait, so I'm just wondering...? Thanks.

Yes. Characters with less than a certain number of predefined traits are given extra random traits.

If you start the game in 1066, are newly-born characters later in the game historically correct in any way?

As soon as you hit the randomize button, history is left behind. Anything can happen.

If you really want to deal with historically accurate people later, you'll have to press forward the time and start at that point instead.

If I have a town holding (the wrong type) and I want to exchange it for the castle in the same county, is there a way to do this without really pissing off the owner of the castle and my other vassals?

I invited the claimant to a particular county to my court, but upon trying to declare war on said county I am told I do not have a valid cassius belli. Doesn't being a claimant give me one?

Is there anything that is determined by personal stats rather than State stats?

What are the purposes of the "Invite Nobleman/holy man/peasant debutante" options in the Intrigue menu? I'm guessing the peasant debutante is for finding a good marriage for your heirs, holy man gives you a courtier with high learning...is there any rhyme or reason to inviting a nobleman other than some new guy who you can use for things?

Is there any benefit to being on the council (Councillor, spymaster, steward) of your liege?

Sorry for the spam of random questions

Last edited:
I invited the claimant to a particular county to my court, but upon trying to declare war on said county I am told I do not have a valid cassius belli. Doesn't being a claimant give me one?

What are the purposes of the "Invite Nobleman/holy man/peasant debutante" options in the Intrigue menu? I'm guessing the peasant debutante is for finding a good marriage for your heirs, holy man gives you a courtier with high learning...is there any rhyme or reason to inviting a nobleman other than some new guy who you can use for things?
1) Did the claimant have a strong claim? Also, if the title is full agnatic, then women can have claims but can't press them (they can pass them on to their sons, however).
2) Personal stats affect things that you do personally. For example, personal diplomacy affects people in your court; state diplomacy those outside of it.
3) Yes, those decisions get you random courtiers--useful for when you need a councilor and nobody in your court is any good.

Is there any benefit to being on the council (Councillor, spymaster, steward) of your liege?

Sorry for the spam of random questions

3) Also the summoned courtiers will be of your culture/religion, useful when you need to stick somebody in a new territory and you are short of alternatives.

4) Being a council member gives you sliver more prestige and a tiny, tiny amount more money.

Hi,
Just wondering what my options are to stop the fatimids... Since I've been going for muslim lands in Spain, they call a Jihad for the lower middle area of Spain. Within two or three months, they then have 60,000+ troops there along with every other muslim ruler assisting them. I'm allied with HRE & Norway, but they end up either being too busy to help with their own wars, and when they do help they end up seind their 10k armies against a 20k muslim army...
The third playthrough of this save, they haven't called a Jihad yet, but can pretty much guarantee it will eventually happen.

ot4Ef.jpg

Hi,
Just wondering what my options are to stop the fatimids... Since I've been going for muslim lands in Spain, they call a Jihad for the lower middle area of Spain. Within two or three months, they then have 60,000+ troops there along with every other muslim ruler assisting them. I'm allied with HRE & Norway, but they end up either being too busy to help with their own wars, and when they do help they end up seind their 10k armies against a 20k muslim army...
The third playthrough of this save, they haven't called a Jihad yet, but can pretty much guarantee it will eventually happen.

ot4Ef.jpg

You could try a preemptive war, go for one of their isolated territories like northern Italy for what I can see, just Blitz it and peace out quickly.
It will earn you the 5 year truce at least.

Other than that, holy orders, mercs, and the HRE are your options.

And as someone else suggested, Invade the Duchies in Egypt, ussurp the titles and watch the Caliphate implode.
Also the Pope will keep on calling crusades for Jerusalem, use that to your advantage and attack the Fatimids on other fronts.

Last edited:
Thanks Stefanos, will give it a try now. One other thing I've been wondering is, say I win a kingdom claim or win a holy war and gain a large chunk of land. Alot of these will be cities and bishoprics, is there any reason not to give them all to one vassal? After doing this they rarely seem to cause any trouble and even the few that do revolt, just end up being a glowing circle on the map that raises no troops.

EDIT: Also, when I take a large area of land (Kingdom of France) or my ruler dies, this usually ends up in alot of vassals declaring war within a few months. Is there any way to avoid this?

Last edited: