• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Can someone explain how Du Jure drift works? Also, I read someone mention how it was showing it on the map. How can you tell if its happening on the map?

Thx.

De jure drift is when a province moves from one de jure Kingdom to another. For it to happen, the entire de jure duchy has to be a de facto part of the second Kingdom. In other words, if you just control one province in a de jure duchy, it won't drift into your Kingdom. Or if you own the whole duchy, but also own the duchy's de jure Kingdom as a secondary title, then the provinces won't become part of your primary Kingdom.

As for how to see it, when you go into the de jure Kingdoms map, you'll see all the de jure Kingdoms marked by color. Provinces that are drifting into another kingdom will be partially shaded. Hover the mouse over them to see how far into the process they are.

A vassal duke declared war to claim my crown. He brought another one of my vassal dukes into the war with him.

The duke who started the war surrendered eventually and was imprisoned, I revoked his duchy (but he still has his county for now due to a Truce, I might just chop his head off and deal with his heir later). Is there anything I can do about the other duke he allied with? Surely he ought to be a traitor too? I don't particularly want his titles for myself, I just want to punish him.

Last edited:
A vassal duke declared war to claim my crown. He brought another one of my vassal dukes into the war with him.

The duke who started the war surrendered eventually and was imprisoned, I revoked his duchy (but he still has his county for now due to a Truce, I might just chop his head off and deal with his heir later). Is there anything I can do about the other duke he allied with? Surely he ought to be a traitor too? I don't particularly want his titles for myself, I just want to punish him.

If he is flagged as a traitor by the game, then you wouldn't get any tyrany for imprison him, just try to do that.

You should be able to imprison him. The game will say something along the Lines of; "since He helped rebel against your Crown no one will care" Or something along those lines. Be sure to strip him of his title and give The 2 Duchy titles to Out Of Oven nobles who like you.

Thanks for your replies but it seems I'll still take a hit. What I realized though is that the duke who joined in as an ally at the start of the war actually died in combat, and his heir inherited both the duchy and the war. Is he not considered a traitor because of this, even though he kept fighting me?

Thanks for your replies but it seems I'll still take a hit. What I realized though is that the duke who joined in as an ally at the start of the war actually died in combat, and his heir inherited both the duchy and the war. Is he not considered a traitor because of this, even though he kept fighting me?

Happened to me several times actually, even if his dad was the rebellious traitor, he is not.

So you're out of luck I'm afraid.
I can't tell you how many times that drove me insane.:angry:

Just do what I do: Give his son a reason to rebel. :p

Yeah, think of it this way: in the eyes of your vassals, he inherited the war and had a duty to see it through. It's not really historical, but it's more historically appropriate than the alternative (i.e. making him a traitor), given that the game doesn't give him any option to leave the war his father started.

I can't recall ever having a Revoke Duchy ambition, had several revoke County, but because I was the Duke of which said county was part of.
Me neither. Based on the code, it seems the Duke has to have no counties (or vassal counties) inside the Duchy in question.

Is there a better way to get nobles to assign to counties I have just aquired but dont want?

For example I just won the Jerusalem crusade with England, and though I might keep it as I haven't really participted in the crusades/middle east in any of my games. I only have room in my demesne for Jerusalem, I need to give the rest away but there are no more men left in my court. I understand about creating minor vassals within a county, but currently all I can figure to do for the count titles is go to the character search page and just scroll through all the guys and invite them to my court and land them. Thing is this takes bloody ages, I only have 8 titles to give away but almost no one wants to come, you can't really filter the potential targets, and I have to be very careful about inviting husbands in matrilenial marriages as I seem to lose them from my realm in inheritance.

Also there are few good content lads in my realm, but not in my court (usually in court of one of my dukes) if I land this guy without inviting him to my court, will his leige still be the duke? I don't want that.

Last edited:
Also there are few good content lads in my realm, but not in my court (usually in court of one of my dukes) if I land this guy without inviting him to my court, will his leige still be the duke? I don't want that.

No, they're automatically your vassals. And that's definitely the best way to find candidates. Your realm usually has more than enough potential vassals.

I have once played as Navarra and formed Hispania, then stopped because being emperor seemed to change vassals from being those kids playing on the street that only needed to be told not to misbehave or rebel against their liege lords once in a while, to a full blown kindergarden.

Now playing as Aragon, I've decided to only take the lower eastern/southern half of Iberia, and instead create a dynasty empire across the Mediterranean, which would could call on their kin if they needed help like all the Iberian kingdoms. The first step was to spin off the kingdom of Sicily into an independent state.

Now to the problem (I guess I've ignored the short questions part):

1: To get enough land to create Sicily, I needed to take the dukedom of Salerno. I did this by pushing the claim of some random vassal i picked up. I expected him to become the vassal of the new Sicilian king. I now realize that I should have taken his duke title and transferred vassalage to the new king, but is there any way that I can transfer vassalage of this duke to the new Sicillian king? I could provoke him to rebel, but I fear Genoa (which controls all of central Italy) may grap the land before the Sicilian king does. Or maybe push the Sicilian king to declare war on me and demand his de-jure right, without worsening our relations?

2: The kingdom of Sicily is experiencing de jure drift to become part of the kingdom of Aragon. Why? I do not hold the king title, nor do I personally hold any duke titles other than the one held by my vassal.

3: I have a total of 5 dukes in my kingdom, but only two of them ever vote for a suppressor. What gives?

Last edited:
1: To get enough land to create Sicily, I needed to take the dukedom of Salerno. I did this by pushing the claim of some random vassal i picked up. I expected him to become the vassal of the new Sicilian king. I now realize that I should have taken his duke title and transferred vassalage to the new king, but is there any way that I can transfer vassalage of this duke to the new Sicillian king? I could provoke him to rebel, but I fear Genoa (which controls all of central Italy) may grap the land before the Sicilian king does. Or maybe push the Sicilian king to declare war on me and demand his de-jure right, without worsening our relations?

I'm not aware of a voluntary way to transfer vassals to another independent ruler.

2: The kingdom of Sicily is experiencing de jure drift to become part of the kingdom of Aragon. Why? I do not hold the king title, nor do I personally hold any duke titles other than the one held by my vassal.

I think it works like this. If you hold all the counties in a duchy and the duchy title does not exist then you get de-jure drift. If the title does exist you or your vassal needs to hold it.

3: I have a total of 5 dukes in my kingdom, but only two of them ever vote for a suppressor. What gives?

I assume you meant successor? Elective seems to work fine for me. Electors don't have to vote, so maybe they are just abstaining.

Well, what mystifies me is that the king of sicily holds the ducal title for Sicily and Calabria. Yet these are still being turned into de-jure Aragon.

About giving away to independent leaders, do you know of any mods that allows this? It seems silly that I can give a huge kingdom to the pope or holy order, but not to the rightful king.

Last edited:
Well, what mystifies me is that the king of sicily holds the ducal title for Sicily and Calabria. Yet these are still being turned into de-jure Aragon.
Is the number of years to incorporation actually changing?

It could be that you owned Calabria for, say, ten years before making it independent, so the tooltip will still say that Calabria is drifting into Aragon at 10/100 years. However, it's frozen at that level and will stay there forever, or until Sicily loses control of the duchy to another kingdom.

If the Kingdom of Burgundy now conquers Calabria, the tooltip would say "Drifting to Aragon 10, 9, 8... years" until it reached 0, then it would start saying "Drifting to Burgundy 1, 2, 3 years"...

Please help!

My character had inherited two weak claims on titles, and yet I cannot declare war on either of them because 'I have no valid Casus Belli'. Why has this happened and what can I do to correct it?

Hover over the weak claim. They can only be pressed in certain circumstances such as regencies, female rulers, contested lands or if the character was the 2nd or 3rd in line of sucession (thus all the civil wars you see to install these).