• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
1)

Huh. Some of my vassals are having a private fight to depose one of my duchesses within my kingdom, despite having medium crown authority. How is this possible?

Because They are Rebelling against their Local Lord. Just like When a Duke Or Duchess Revolts against you. Only these counts Have decided that they would rather take their chances under your Direct rule then your duchesses Direct rule.

I saw this happen in my own game as well. If they're successful, what happens to the Duchy title, exactly? Switches to the count that initiated the successful revolt? Reverts to the king?

2) If I have a particular vassal at, let's say, -10 opinion because of raised levies, then disband the relevant levy, and then raise them immediately, does the opinion modifier keep counting from -10, or start over from -1 while the -10 modifier decays with time?

Basically: I'd like to use raising levies as a way to get particular vassals to revolt (so I can revoke their titles), but I'd like to be able to disband-and-re-raise the levy occasionally (e.g. just finished a distant campaign and am disbanding my whole army). Will that work?

Also: will small (e.g. counts, or sub-count barons, or even mayors) still revolt once you're excessively powerful (e.g. an Emperor) or do they stop, keeping you from using revolts as a way to revoke titles?

More generally, what's some good advice for making particular vassals revolt?

3) Let's say I'm playing as Dublin (which appears to be the Official Starting County for people learning the game as counts). My dynasty members will usually be Irish (unless e.g. I give someone a foreign-cultured tutor) If I end up acquiring a duchy and its counties in, say, Scotland, what exactly do I gain from the extra work of tutoring dynasty members to have Scottish culture and instating them?

Another way of asking the same question: why do I care about relations between vassals (e.g. an Irish duke or count) and their subvassals (e.g. a Scottish count or mayor)? Does it affect the taxes I receive? The levies?

4) As Dublin in particular, or just in general, what's the best long-term plan for which counties (with possibly multiple sub-baronies) go in my ruler's demesne? It's important to figure out early because of how buildings are long-term investments. Some factors:

* I'd prefer more baronies to less, obviously, up to my demesne limit, for the 100% levy access.
* Early in the game, that means lots of counties. Later in the game I can build additional baronies in counties and distribute away excess counties; I'm not sure whether that's better.
* I'd prefer to hold as few duchies as possible, because of the opinion penalty once you have more than two, and because I sometimes pick up extra ones from conquest.
* I'd prefer to own all the counties in the duchies I do own, and none on those I don't, to avoid "we desire your title" opinion penalties.
* I can move my capital around, but I'd lose both expensive buildings and a tech advantage (from the spymaster mission).
* Different rulers in my game will have different state stewardship scores, so I'd prefer flexibility in # of held baronies while still aiming for all of the above, but I'm not sure how to get it, and I'm not sure how to return baronies to my demesne (for rulers with high stewardship) other than revoking (which invokes tyranny) or prompting revolts (and I don't know if that works once you're powerful enough and they're still barons, see question #2).

My current plan is something like "acquire all the counties in Meath + Leinster + Ulster (eight, if you're not familiar with Ireland), then form+hand off Leinster if/when I've built enough extra baronies in Meath+Ulster."

5) Can kingdoms be revoked by an emperor?

6) The later Castle Town upgrades seem really expensive for the benefit they provide. Take the Great Castle City: 400 gold for a +3.5/year benefit. Even with, say, +50% from state stewardship that's eighty years to pay off. Are they worth it?

Thanks.

1)

3) Let's say I'm playing as Dublin (which appears to be the Official Starting County for people learning the game as counts). My dynasty members will usually be Irish (unless e.g. I give someone a foreign-cultured tutor) If I end up acquiring a duchy and its counties in, say, Scotland, what exactly do I gain from the extra work of tutoring dynasty members to have Scottish culture and instating them?

Why would you, as an Irish Duke (or King), want scottish vassals? That makes it only more difficult for you. It's the other way around - if you want to stay Irish in the long run, of course. Train the children of your scottish vassals, use irish tutors for them, to eliminate the -foreign opinion penalty once they inherit the land. Or outright replace them with Irishmen. Depending on my factors, the counties will change from Scottish to Irish culture over time.

I don't know if this is a quick answer or deserves its own thread, but I figured I'd start here The short version is I'm Emperor of Britannia and King of England, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales. I've got Gavelkind succession and two sons. When I die, the oldest son inherits the Empire and all the Kingdoms but England. The younger son inherits England, plus various duchies and counties.

Here's my question: why isn't the youngest son vassal to his brother, the Emperor?

Ok, did I completeley miss something in the patch notes?
It seems I can't give away my secondary king title anymore.

Explanation : as Sweden, I got a part of Andalusia during a crusade. I kept it for a while until the cultural and religious malus wore off. Now I don't want to hold onto the land, as it's way too far from home.
I wanted to give the kingdom to my second son. Apparently I can't, even after I made him Duke.

Why would you, as an Irish Duke (or King), want scottish vassals? That makes it only more difficult for you. It's the other way around - if you want to stay Irish in the long run, of course. Train the children of your scottish vassals, use irish tutors for them, to eliminate the -foreign opinion penalty once they inherit the land. Or outright replace them with Irishmen. Depending on my factors, the counties will change from Scottish to Irish culture over time.

What I started typing:

"Right, I know it's best to have everyone in the chain, the peasants (the county culture), the count, the duke, and the king all be the same culture, to avoid opinion penalties. My point is that unless I go around revoking every single title in territory I acquire, including bishoprics/cities, there will always be a break in that chain somewhere - Irish counts overseeing Scottish bishops, for example."

But, if a county can eventually culture flip to Irish, that's not true - the subsequent mayors+bishops will be, by default, the culture of their county (I assume) and thus Irish. Right?

New question: how do I export the Irish culture off the British Isles? I know land units can march from Ulster in Ireland to... Galloway (I think) in Scotland, so I assume those counties are "adjacent" for purpose of culture spread. What about the mainland?

New question: how do I export the Irish culture off the British Isles? I know land units can march from Ulster in Ireland to... Galloway (I think) in Scotland, so I assume those counties are "adjacent" for purpose of culture spread. What about the mainland?

I spent the last ~15 minutes reading up on culture spread, people complaining about how the Isles are isolated, the events change in... 1.05? 1.06? etc. Downloaded the Culture Spread by Ports mod.

I don't know if this is a quick answer or deserves its own thread, but I figured I'd start here The short version is I'm Emperor of Britannia and King of England, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales. I've got Gavelkind succession and two sons. When I die, the oldest son inherits the Empire and all the Kingdoms but England. The younger son inherits England, plus various duchies and counties.

Here's my question: why isn't the youngest son vassal to his brother, the Emperor?

Follow-up: It dawned on me that I was looking at the inheritance laws of Britannia, but ignoring England. So I checked out England, and even weirder -- I have primogeniteur there. Why in the world would my second son inherit England when England has primogeniteur? And why doesn't the game recognize that the King of England is vassal to the Emperor of Britannia?

Follow-up: It dawned on me that I was looking at the inheritance laws of Britannia, but ignoring England. So I checked out England, and even weirder -- I have primogeniteur there. Why in the world would my second son inherit England when England has primogeniteur? And why doesn't the game recognize that the King of England is vassal to the Emperor of Britannia?

Because your Primary Title: Britannia is Gavelkind Succession. So your first Inherited the Empire. While your Second Inherited the Kingdom of England, The third(if there are any beyond #2 would Inherit the Kingdom Of Scots, And then The Kingdom of Ireland, Followed by the further in Line sons getting your lesser titles.

Because your Primary Title: Britannia is Gavelkind Succession. So your first Inherited the Empire. While your Second Inherited the Kingdom of England, The third(if there are any beyond #2 would Inherit the Kingdom Of Scots, And then The Kingdom of Ireland, Followed by the further in Line sons getting your lesser titles.

Thanks -- that makes sense. So if I change Britannia to primogeniteur, will my oldest son inherit all the kingdoms regardless of the succession laws in the individual kingdoms?

Thanks -- that makes sense. So if I change Britannia to primogeniteur, will my oldest son inherit all the kingdoms regardless of the succession laws in the individual kingdoms?

Just pass free investiture and make your second son a Bishop.

Also primo is bad compared to elective, specially if you plan to give away your king titles.

Ok, did I completeley miss something in the patch notes?
It seems I can't give away my secondary king title anymore.

Explanation : as Sweden, I got a part of Andalusia during a crusade. I kept it for a while until the cultural and religious malus wore off. Now I don't want to hold onto the land, as it's way too far from home.
I wanted to give the kingdom to my second son. Apparently I can't, even after I made him Duke.

It's because Andalusia has a cultural requirement. It can only be given to people of Andalusian culture (since they're the only ones who can form it). Likewise, you can only give Greece to Greeks.

I had a game where I managed to put a Saxon dynasty on the throne of the Byzantine Empire. I checked back some decades later to find that the saxon dynasty was no longer in power and the last Emperor of that line had apparently been killed by rabble. It's the first time I've ever encountered that particular cause of death. I just wondered if anyone knew how or why that had happened?

I had a game where I managed to put a Saxon dynasty on the throne of the Byzantine Empire. I checked back some decades later to find that the saxon dynasty was no longer in power and the last Emperor of that line had apparently been killed by rabble. It's the first time I've ever encountered that particular cause of death. I just wondered if anyone knew how or why that had happened?

As a wild guess I'd say that it's because the revolt risk was high in said territory. (Definitely cross culture, and possibly cross religion as well)

Also Bullfrog: You can use your Chancillor to fabricate claims on counties and (randomly, if they have high enough diplomacy) duchies. There are also plots to fabricate a claim on Kingdoms as well.

Is it still recommended that you save and reload when gain/lose a title, or your character changes? I'm thinking of CKI when you had to do that.