• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm playing a game in Norway, and the king just instituted medium authority crown laws, really messing up my intra-Norwegian territorial expansion plans. How do I get the crown laws lower? I know there is a plot that can do it, as I get invitations to it all the time in an Ireland game, but I can't seem to get the plot going.

I'm playing a game in Norway, and the king just instituted medium authority crown laws, really messing up my intra-Norwegian territorial expansion plans. How do I get the crown laws lower? I know there is a plot that can do it, as I get invitations to it all the time in an Ireland game, but I can't seem to get the plot going.
It is explained here http://ckiiwiki.com/Objectives#List_of_Plot

My succession law is the eldest male will inherit all titles (forget the technical name) I have 2 sons but my heir is my grandson. He has no more holdings than my sons, no more powerful, so why is this? Should be the son I've been grooming not the grandson of a differant culture with terrible stats...lol.

My succession law is the eldest male will inherit all titles (forget the technical name) I have 2 sons but my heir is my grandson. He has no more holdings than my sons, no more powerful, so why is this? Should be the son I've been grooming not the grandson of a differant culture with terrible stats...lol.

There is a problem with Succession laws. Look in the bug reports or do a quick search of these forums for more infomation.

Typically happens when your eldest Daughter dies with a Son. To fix this just kill him.

I pressed a claim on a duchy for my granddaughter. The Duchy was occupied by a Doge.

When I won the war, my daughter became a Doge and occupied the city previously held by the Doge. But she's a noble, obviously.

There are a couple of baronies in the province.

Will the AI be smart enough to have my granddaughter revoke a barony and switch the capital over to that, so that the province goes back to normal?

Or will I have to revoke everything and fix it manually?

I pressed a claim on a duchy for my granddaughter. The Duchy was occupied by a Doge.

When I won the war, my daughter became a Doge and occupied the city previously held by the Doge. But she's a noble, obviously.

There are a couple of baronies in the province.

Will the AI be smart enough to have my granddaughter revoke a barony and switch the capital over to that, so that the province goes back to normal?

Or will I have to revoke everything and fix it manually?

"AI" Will sit there looking stupid. You will need to fix it. If she has other counties in this duchy maybe you can revoke that one broken province and give it back to her all fixed up.

So the war is a holy war for a territory you hold as an indepenant duchess? Don't suppose you can supply a screenshot with the war overview open.

No I quit and didn't save. They had a stack of 14,000+ soldiers and all I could muster up was about 3000. I started as Duchess of Tuscany (with the ruler designer), declared independence and won. As soon as the treaty was over the emperor declared the holy war

If a king is vassal, are the troops he can provide me as emperor, less than if he were a duke? Like counts giving him a portion, dukes giving him a portion, and finally him giving me a portion. Are the cities and churches in his kingdom also subject to the same kind of filtering, or do I directly draw from them?

If a king is vassal, are the troops he can provide me as emperor, less than if he were a duke? Like counts giving him a portion, dukes giving him a portion, and finally him giving me a portion. Are the cities and churches in his kingdom also subject to the same kind of filtering, or do I directly draw from them?

You draw directly from them according to the crown laws. If you hover your mouse pointer over the levies this shows you what you can raise. So a king might hate you, but his duke may like you. Thus you can raise more levies from the dukes then the Kings.

How does the game determine what happens to the courtiers of rulers whose titles you revoke? How does it decide where to send them? Especially in the case of Barons whose courtiers are often randomly generated without family members in other courts.

What effect does your primary title have? For instance, in one game I started as Brittany, then took the crowns of Ireland, Wales, and Leon. What difference does it make if Ireland, for example, is my primary?

How does the game determine what happens to the courtiers of rulers whose titles you revoke? How does it decide where to send them? Especially in the case of Barons whose courtiers are often randomly generated without family members in other courts.

I would assume that they just disappear. Just as they were generated as insignificant orphans, they would be removed just as easily.

What effect does your primary title have? For instance, in one game I started as Brittany, then took the crowns of Ireland, Wales, and Leon. What difference does it make if Ireland, for example, is my primary?

Your primary title, besides being what people know you by, is the catch all that unites your realm. It is the title your first heir will inherit (if you have gavelkind succession). The main effect is that whatever land you have that is de jure part of Kingdom of Leon (for example) is part of that kingdom de facto, and if anyone somehow takes that kingdom away from you, they will get only the de jure parts of that kingdom that you own. All other counties (or duchies) that are in your realm are de facto part of your primary title.

Last edited:
I noticed this quote by knppel

By far the most amazing thing in terms of quick advancement in the game was a complete invasion of England as William the Conqueror, and setting up all Lord Mayors and Doges in England after (aside one english duchy for my elected heir William, Richard got the Normandy and Henry was married and bishop'd) Like 55 money per month in 1100. Doubles over the next fifty years when English culture triggers and spreads, you go all out ports in your investments etc.

That is something I would like to know how to do. I am always so annoyed when I have a church or a town in my own personal demesne duchy, so that means I either take a 'wrong type of holding' penalty if I want to own the county, or I lose the county, and the person who owns the county gains a -50 "desires the duchy" penalty.

Also, the ability to make recently conquered duchies to be entirely ruled by city-based counties would probably be nice. I think the trickle-down effect (the cities gain mega-bucks, and the counts pay for a few minor improvements in the poorer castles and *snigger* churches) works, but I could be wrong.

So ... how do I make a resident castle (or city, or *snigger* church) head of a county?

I noticed this quote by knppel

That is something I would like to know how to do. I am always so annoyed when I have a church or a town in my own personal demesne duchy, so that means I either take a 'wrong type of holding' penalty if I want to own the county, or I lose the county, and the person who owns the county gains a -50 "desires the duchy" penalty.

Also, the ability to make recently conquered duchies to be entirely ruled by city-based counties would probably be nice. I think the trickle-down effect (the cities gain mega-bucks, and the counts pay for a few minor improvements in the poorer castles and *snigger* churches) works, but I could be wrong.

So ... how do I make a resident castle (or city, or *snigger* church) head of a county?

Simpler than you think. The capital of a county (or any province) is the liege of the other holdings within the province. For example, of you are a count, your vassals are the bishop and mayor, but if you were the bishop's vassal (and the mayor was his vassal) he would own the province and it would therefore be a prince-bishopric (I think that's what it's called). So if you revoke the barony (or whatever you want to be the capital) and give away the current primary holding, the province will switch capitals. :)

1) I just found a county claimant that refused to be invited to my court, despite the diplomacy factors being the following:

Opinion of me: +5
Opinion of current liege: -5
Current liege cannot press claims: +3
Base reluctance: -2

(Net: +1)

Why wouldn't this guy accept? If it's relevant, I had just sent a gift to the guy (which was reflected in the updated opinion-of-me factor) and he had the Content trait.

2) Related: I'd tried to take a screenshot (or, technically, putting the image of the current screen in the buffer so I could paste to MS Paint) of the above situation to show you folks with the Printscreen button but kept getting screenshots of my second-most-recent application instead. What gives?

-5 opinion doesn't mean -5, it means never. It's one of those little undocumented things you just have to learn.

So next time you see '-5 opinion of current liege' or '-5 looking for better alliance' then don't waste your time.