• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
My question is simple, I have high crown authority and yet my vassals are declaring war on each other left right and center. I got 2 vassal wars going on right now. Is there something else allowing them to do this? My law says it forbids it.

My question is simple, I have high crown authority and yet my vassals are declaring war on each other left right and center. I got 2 vassal wars going on right now. Is there something else allowing them to do this? My law says it forbids it.
The law does not apply to rebellions. A vassal can always rebel against his liege no matter what the crown laws are.

Ok so they must be rebelling as opposed to just trying to expand. Good to know thanks.

is there a way to keep my cultural-specific building upon my ruler switching culture?

i mean: i was a king in spain and had the cultural building build, but made some marriage mistake that lead to my successor being welsh, thus my spanish cultural building disappeared and was replaced by the (not yet build) welsh/english one.
now i naturally do not want to build that one, as i fear that at some point in future my successor may not be welsh as well and thus i'd lose those buildings again. most likely if i need someone to educate my sons while my current ruler might be useless/dear etc.

is there a way to keep my cultural-specific building upon my ruler switching culture?

i mean: i was a king in spain and had the cultural building build, but made some marriage mistake that lead to my successor being welsh, thus my spanish cultural building disappeared and was replaced by the (not yet build) welsh/english one.
now i naturally do not want to build that one, as i fear that at some point in future my successor may not be welsh as well and thus i'd lose those buildings again. most likely if i need someone to educate my sons while my current ruler might be useless/dear etc.

In a word...no. :(

They're gone, puff, turn to smoke, destroyed, well you get the picture. :eek:o

I have just started a new game in the Game of Thrones mod as Tywin Lannister. His wife is dead, and he has the Widowed trait -100000.00% fertility. It says in the tooltip "This character is grief stricken and mourning a lost spouse." How long does it take for this trait to go away so he can get married again?

Playing as the Abbasid Caliph waiting for the Seljuks to get the obsene 100% decadence invasion.

Time goes by and...nothing...:unsure:

I check again and their decadence went from 100% to 50% and the tooltip shows an event for -50% decadence...:blink:

Anyone has any idea what that event actually is?
And how it gets triggered?

How do I get my vassals to support my law changes? Whenever I try to change a law or crown law, all of my vassals oppose my change, even the ones who have high opinion of me and when I am proposing a law that ostensibly they are supposed to like (lower taxes for instance. they don't even want lower taxes! what's going on!?)
i have noticed if they all really like you, the laws get changed within a month, even when you're maxing taxes. Perhaps it takes longer if some have a negative opinion, or most will have a negative opinion? Just a guess.

I have just started a new game in the Game of Thrones mod as Tywin Lannister. His wife is dead, and he has the Widowed trait -100000.00% fertility. It says in the tooltip "This character is grief stricken and mourning a lost spouse." How long does it take for this trait to go away so he can get married again?

You'll have to go to that specific mod message board and ask the same question. This is not in vanilla. Not at all. (My geriatric rulers often remarry 18 year olds as a part of the grieving process)

Regarding law changes, you just have to get them all to like you. Preferably 100 percent like. Just throwing them a quick bribe won't get them to change their vote immediately either. Sometimes it just takes awhile. Of course if they have low positive or negative opinions they'll never bite.

First off, a question that got missed earlier:

Where can I view the levy refill rate of a holding?

Mousing over the holding garrison bar tells me how many garrison troops are refilling per month. Mousing over the equivalent levy bar does not.

I've searched this forum, Google, both wikis, etc. and can't find anything.

Second, even if there's no way to actually view it ingame, is there some out-of-game value I can read? In this post I found references to "REINFORCE_RATE = 0.05" and "levy_reinforce_rate = 1.25" which, from context, seem to mean that cities and temples reinforce levies at 5%/month and baronies reinforce 25% faster.

Third, could the fertility penalty for large courts be modded out - is there a value for it in a file somewhere that I could change? I don't like having any dynasty members I can't find lands for be infertile for strictly out-of-game reasons.

Finally, is there somewhere I can read the specific war targets of a given war? I ask because I recently forged a claim on the Scottish duchy of The Isles, successfully sieged a barony on The Isle of Man (which is in the duchy, both currently and de jure) and yet didn't increase warscore.

Thanks.

@ Kethas

1) There's no easy way, AFAIK. Your best bet may be to just to watch your holdings in the outliner, and see the number you gain each month.
2) You can look up the base reinforcement rate in the defines, then calculate the total modifier for each holding based on the static_modifiers, event modifiers, and buildings files (and job_actions if your using your marshal). But it's a big pain.
3) Yes, it's in defines.txt file (not defines.lua). Change the _CHDEF_COURT_SIZE_CHILD_PENALTY_THRESHOLD_ Alternately, change the _CHDEF_BASE_NR_OF_CHILDREN_PER_COUPLE_
4) In the war screen, to the right of the warscore it will say title contested (or something like that) and have the CoA(s) of the title(s) at issue. Click on that and it will take you to the title screen for that title, which will have a list of its holdings and vassals (and will highlight it on the map).

Not sure of the first question. I think you may be able to see this by going into a specific holding and then mousing over the levy. If not, it may be possible to view it during a siege by mousing over the listed garrison or levy. Can't remember exactly though.

Second, even if there's no way to actually view it ingame, is there some out-of-game value I can read? In this post I found references to "REINFORCE_RATE = 0.05" and "levy_reinforce_rate = 1.25" which, from context, seem to mean that cities and temples reinforce levies at 5%/month and baronies reinforce 25% faster.

Third, could the fertility penalty for large courts be modded out - is there a value for it in a file somewhere that I could change? I don't like having any dynasty members I can't find lands for be infertile for strictly out-of-game reasons.

Finally, is there somewhere I can read the specific war targets of a given war? I ask because I recently forged a claim on the Scottish duchy of The Isles, successfully sieged a barony on The Isle of Man (which is in the duchy, both currently and de jure) and yet didn't increase warscore.

Thanks.

Second question, you might want to check the mod forum, I've read about how people have tweaked values like this.

Third: I don't believe anyone has found a way to mod it out, but either way no one will become infertile because of it. What the limitation is, is that a ruler has no fertility restrictions, but if there are more then 30 members of a court, then couples will be restricted to 2 children. So you'll not have childless family members, they will just be restricted to two kids IF the court is larger then 30.

EDIT: I guess Jaol found a way. I will mention the reason they put that restriction in there is to prevent each generation from getting exponentially bigger. After a couple hundred years the game will be juggling thousands of extra characters at all times and performance on your computer may suffer.

If you go to reputation map all the counties you are at war against will be red. Those that are contested (ie wargoals) will be outlined in faint gold.

In my English game, I see all Spain is in the hands of Muslims. If I wanted to remedy that, I would need to declare holy war against one of the Emirs. The thing is I fear that once I declare war on one of them, a swarm of Muslims will come and I won't be able to stand a chance. Yet I see France and Holy Roman Empire taking huge swaths of African holdings from them.

How hard is holy war? How hard is to keep the land you've acquired? Should I spend a century or two developing my holdings? How much preparations do I need? Currently 50% of England's armed forces are from my demesne only but that's still less than what some of those Muslim lords can call up.

Anyway, some pointers on how and when.

Are there any advantages to raising levies as a vassal if your leige has already raised levies? Playing as the Doux of Vidin, my emperor keeps going to war and taking some of my men with him, as is his right. Do I gain anything for raising the rest of my levies and joining the war, other than giving me something to pass the time? Unlike answering a call to arms, I don't see any prestige gain if we win. Does it at least impress the emperor a little bit (i.e., improve his opinion of me, and maybe cause him to keep me in mind should be decide he needs a new council member)?

Are there any advantages to raising levies as a vassal if your leige has already raised levies? Playing as the Doux of Vidin, my emperor keeps going to war and taking some of my men with him, as is his right. Do I gain anything for raising the rest of my levies and joining the war, other than giving me something to pass the time? Unlike answering a call to arms, I don't see any prestige gain if we win. Does it at least impress the emperor a little bit (i.e., improve his opinion of me, and maybe cause him to keep me in mind should be decide he needs a new council member)?

In short, No,

Slightly longer answer, Not Really.

It's only worth helping out if it's in your interest for your liege to win, ie you want to keep the ERE strong and not let the east fall to a Jihad later.

In my English game, I see all Spain is in the hands of Muslims. If I wanted to remedy that, I would need to declare holy war against one of the Emirs. The thing is I fear that once I declare war on one of them, a swarm of Muslims will come and I won't be able to stand a chance. Yet I see France and Holy Roman Empire taking huge swaths of African holdings from them.

How hard is holy war? How hard is to keep the land you've acquired? Should I spend a century or two developing my holdings? How much preparations do I need? Currently 50% of England's armed forces are from my demesne only but that's still less than what some of those Muslim lords can call up.

Anyway, some pointers on how and when.

I have no idea of the map setup, what year you are, or even how big you are. (Are you all of England, about half?) But I will try and help anyway.

Yes when you attack one Muslim in Iberia, chances are more will join in. HRE and France have luck because they have armies to stand up to them. As England you got a shot too.

Since you sound like you need some beginner help, I'll give you the cheap method. Since Iberia is Iberia, it's not even that cheap:

Let's assume you have at least 3-6 counties, 165 piety and a couple hundred gold. The best way to fight them is to find a weak but juicy target (bunch of counties, preferably with an unpopular ruler - check his troop totals, or one fighting other wars - choose a holy war on territory not being warred over) and then hire holy orders. (Then mercenaries if needed) Put them both on ships and then park the holy order and merc troops in his territory and THEN declare holy war. (Go for coastal duchies first, as you are England. Let other silly countries hoof it over the middle mountains to Toledo to deal with revolts if they want to)

NOW raise your troops. Start sieging the wargoals (assaulting with the holy orders is likely viable given how much heavy cavalry they have) Now call your allies for help (you have allies right?) assemble your troops and ship them downwards. (It's more important to get what troops you can get down there quickly then getting every single one down - you can always send your ships back up for another trip)

Siege more territories with your normal troops. Now the Muslim allies will begin assembling. Continue sieging/assaulting and pick at them while they are gathering their troops. Your goal is to get the bulk (if not all) of the fighting done before extra allied Muslim armies arrive. The big one you have to watch is all them extra big Sunnis stacks crossing the Gibraltar from North Africa. If you start running low on gold, start using your mercs aggressively in army battles or assaults, better to kill the mercs and get some use out of them rather then dismiss them.

Now if you are in firm control of England with good alliances and holy orders on your side, you may even want to think about starting TWO holy wars at once since you'll be fighting the same bunch of Sunnis all at once anyway. (More then two and it might be pushing it) If you are not in firm control of England or unsure of yourself then just do one until you get a feeling for it. There are a lot of coastal zones in Spain that you can utilize your English ships nicely on, while the Muslims will have to hoof it over mountains.

Land you acquire will be bereft of vassals, so you can 'create vassal' on each of them to get someone of your culture and religion immediately. Hand the provinces out to whomever you want, recommend one count per county so that each one can have their own court chaplain to convert the populace. Either way you'll have to deal with occasional peasant revolts, will get no income for a generation (biggest modifier is religion, get converting!), and no/few troops. So you may suffer reprisals from Muslims. Though if you are big bad England, they may not want to tangle again so quickly.

When all's said and done, holy wars can get you some juicy, developed land that you can throw loyal courtiers at. Great for expansion. Then you just have to tend to conversion, reprisals, and lack of local levies until it comes around and becomes solidly producing, high tech counties of your glorious Kingdom. Deus Vult!