• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
i started a game as an italian duke; I then found out that while in the HRE, i'm not part of the de jure HRE.
And italy isn't becoming a de jure part of the HRE either, according to the mapmode.
Is there a way to get italy to become part of HRE dejure? (i'm not interested in expanding into duchies outside italy)
You'll have to create the Kingdom of Italy for it to happen.

I'm currently the Emperor of Scandinavia and I wanted to press my courtier's strong claim for the Kingdom of Aragon. The courtier (Prince of Aragon) was matrilineally married to my kin so their offsprings would be of my dynasty. So when the old King of Aragon died and left a child on the throne, I made my move. I killed the courtier, the prince, and his son and daughter inherited his claim to the kingdom. I pressed the 14 year old son's claim, invaded Aragon, and won. The problem is, the Kingdom of Aragon remained independent even though I pressed a claim of someone of my dynasty. What am I doing wrong here?

Which buildings should I construct first? Usually I build the castle village then the wooden pallisade followed by the castle town (or whatever is after castle village) and then the castle donjon. Is this a good order to follow?

jxnJC.jpg

I want the girl on the right be my heir rather than the left one, what can I do other than assassination?

EDIT: nvm, I changed to elective.

Last edited:
Haven't played in a while, so I have a few questions about SoI that might be outdated.

1. When you get the events where an interesting figure joins your court, I found that they always showed as being of my dynasty but outside the family tree and lacked education traits. Does this still happen? I liked the idea of these events, but always wound up just imprisoning them to prevent decadence.

2. How exactly does the Muslim invasion CB work? It claims to target only one kingdom, but when I press the victory, I found any other occupied counties also came under my control. Is this working as intended? Does the targeted kingdom only matter in the case of unoccupied counties falling under your control?

Can we get this thread stickied? A lot of people don't see it and start threads for questions that would be better put in here. (Well, maybe they see it and ignore it, but having it at the top of the forum would help, I think)

Is it possible to plot to kill your child. I need to kill my heir but assassination chance is 21% and I can't plot to kill him.

If, let's say, Scotland inherits Norway, and Norway is completely assimilated into Kingdom of Scotland.
And then Scotland becomes a part of the British Empire (I forgot the proper name for it). Would the Scandinavian part of now Scotland be exempt from British imperial laws?

If, let's say, Scotland inherits Norway, and Norway is completely assimilated into Kingdom of Scotland.
And then Scotland becomes a part of the British Empire (I forgot the proper name for it). Would the Scandinavian part of now Scotland be exempt from British imperial laws?

Scotland already is de jure Britannia.
If all the duchies of Norway have been assimilated into Scotland, all those duchies are of course de jure Britannia since Scotland is de jure Britannia.
-> Britannian laws would apply.

How great a danger is it to marry your Christian heirs to Muslim brides? Currently looking for a fitting soulmate for my grandson and the gene pool facing Mecca is quite impressive. However I am a Monophysite island in an Islamic sea and I would rather not have the Caliph knocking on my door because Sheik Yerbouti called him in to help enforce some courtier's weak claim from a generation before.

While I'm on the subject while perusing I found a couple of Ethiopians from the former Kingdom of Nubia in the court of the Emir of Aswan - I hold one province from that kingdom (it's de jure Abyssinia, but they might have claims) - would it be a good idea to get those individuals into my court post haste through marriage or bribery?

I'm playing as Dansih Kingdom and managed to marry my cousin to polish queen in normal marriage. Resulting son is now heir to kingdom of Poland and of my dynasty. Do I need to nominate the same son to my own heir to get Poland under my control or is it enough that ruler of Poland is of my dynasty?

I'm playing as Dansih Kingdom and managed to marry my cousin to polish queen in normal marriage. Resulting son is now heir to kingdom of Poland and of my dynasty. Do I need to nominate the same son to my own heir to get Poland under my control or is it enough that ruler of Poland is of my dynasty?
If you want to rule it directly, you'll have to ensure he's your heir as well. If you're fine with only having an alliance, you can have someone else be heir to Denmark.

Things I've been wondering:

1. Is there a way of ensuring the destruction of a title not your own? If I, for example, decide that I want the HRE gone, is there a way of doing that beyond claiming the title and then destroying it?

2. Is there a way of getting the Pope as your vassal? Since it's a kingdom level title, I've been assuming it's possible somehow for an emperor. If so, how?

3. How does inheritance work for multiple titles of a different tier. For example: Let's say I own two duchies with gavelkind. Then I create a kingdom and set it's inheritance laws to elective. Will my duchies be split amongs my hiers? Will the duchies still be set to Gavelkind if I give them away?

1. Is there a way of ensuring the destruction of a title not your own? If I, for example, decide that I want the HRE gone, is there a way of doing that beyond claiming the title and then destroying it?

2. Is there a way of getting the Pope as your vassal? Since it's a kingdom level title, I've been assuming it's possible somehow for an emperor. If so, how?

3. How does inheritance work for multiple titles of a different tier. For example: Let's say I own two duchies with gavelkind. Then I create a kingdom and set it's inheritance laws to elective. Will my duchies be split amongs my hiers? Will the duchies still be set to Gavelkind if I give them away?

1) Even if you claim it, your primary title is always your highest. So unless you have two Emperor titles you can't destroy HRE. and if you do have 2 Empire titles then destroying one will just make all of the HRE vassals members of the other Empire. (And -50 ticked off)

3) Lesser tiers all snowball into your primary title's method. From experience it seems if you are a duke then duchies tend to roll with the primary duchy method. If you are a King all lesser titles snowball to your primary title method...but additional Kingships all go by their own method. (So if you are King of Denmark-Primogeniture and Swedan-Seniority, you've likely got two different heirs now) Haven't fooled around with Empires too much to let you know, but I believe the (someone please verify) Imperial can pass independently of lesser titles. (So the HRE Imperial title can roll to one person, and the dead Emperor's other King/Ducal titles roll to another)

1) If the holder of the HRE has all his lesser titles usurped, the HRE will become defunct, I believe. At least it works that way for Kingdoms.

2) Create an Anti-Pope. He'll be your vassal, so if you press his claim on the Papacy as an Emperor, he'll remain your vassal.

3) There are 2 separate issues here. A) what will the inheritance laws be while you still hold all the titles, and B) what will happen when you give the titles away. Every title has it's own specific inheritance law. However, as newuser99 said, most of the time the lower titles will follow your primary title. So in your example, your elected heir will get both duchies. But, the lower titles do still have their own laws, and if you give the titles away they will revert back to them. So if you give the Duchies away, they will go back to Gavelkind. This also shows up if you have a non-dynastic heir elected. So in your example, if some random Duke gets elected, he'll get your Kingdom, but your duchies will still be divided among your children.

I haven't been playing for that long, but it seems like the AI has access to options not available to the player. If this is actually the case, is there a compiled list somewhere? If not, how do I replicate these feats myself?

Here are the things I seem to have noticed so far.

1) The AI can start plots to lower crown authority or usurp titles, the only plot I've ever been able to start was "kill X".

2) The AI can claim multi titles with a single CB. As an independent Duke, I've had a King CB me for a Duke title, a county from that duchy, and a county from a completely separate duchy. I saved and deliberately lost to check, and with a single war he indeed took 3 titles.