• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Another question. What's the best way to spread my dynasty short of conquering? None of my relatives have claims that can be pressed and no one seems to want to enter a matrinal marriage with my daughters. Will it be easier if I keep raising my dynasties prestige?

Yes, it get's (far) easier with more dynasty prestige - as a one county count with zero prestige marilinear marriages are a tough sell. However, you can always go for matrilineal marriages with someone second or third in line for a title. Either you wait for their kids to gain claims you can press, or you speed up the process via plots and assassinations.

Playing as the Habsburgs.. I have several cadet branches of the family ruling in other duchies of the HRE and a branch ruling as the kings of Denmark while I rule the Duchy of Upper Burgundy. Eventually I'd like to reunite the lands unto one heir, but that would require some inbreeding.. The question I ask is how much time/or how far away on the dynasty tree should I wait to finally marry within the family without causing bad traits?

If you want to reunite, you can speed up the process and go elective, and pick an heir that will combine land. No need to rely only on dynasty marriages - though it is not that harmfull. Remember, even today cousins can marry in most countries. If the couple are just kin, the risk is reasonably small.

Sadly no. That's your penalty for being such a sick human being and trying to murder your son! You could try raising your relationship with your wife and lowering your relationship with your son. That might get her to invite you.
Damn. Oh well my wife eventually got enough conspirators behind her and offed the kid. Now, a few years later, I am playing as the son I plotted to the throne.
But the same problem again. I have three daughters (11, 9 and 6) and one son (8) in Agnatic-Cognatic. My son is pretty bad and I want to kill him (he's 8 but only has Craven trait, despite being tutored by me) but again I have no plots. On the last king as I said I could make plots to kill some of my sons. I would also now like to kill the first daughter to make way for the second one I want to make Queen since she has absolutely fantastic stats, is Attractive and only 9.

Do plots come at age 16 (I do remember once killing my newborn son because he was clubfooted, with plot power 4200%) or should I just place my faith in assassins?

Another question. What's the best way to spread my dynasty short of conquering? None of my relatives have claims that can be pressed and no one seems to want to enter a matrinal marriage with my daughters. Will it be easier if I keep raising my dynasties prestige?
Matrilineal marriages are supposed to be very hard to get, so you're not likely to have much luck there.
Yes, increasing dynastic prestige will make people likelier to accept your marriage proposals.

If I am a King and usurp the title of an independent Duke (one more de jure war and I will own three counties out of six in his de jure duchy) will he become my vassal with his three remaining counties (thus making rebel/revoke/release a fast track for a land grab) or will he remain an independent count? Does it take gold to usurp a duchy title (I'm a tightwad) or just prestige (got lots) or piety (yeaaah about that...)?

If I am a King and usurp the title of an independent Duke (one more de jure war and I will own three counties out of six in his de jure duchy) will he become my vassal with his three remaining counties (thus making rebel/revoke/release a fast track for a land grab) or will he remain an independent count? Does it take gold to usurp a duchy title (I'm a tightwad) or just prestige (got lots) or piety (yeaaah about that...)?
He'll be an independent Count. Of course, Counts are much more likely to accept an offer of vassalization (although you'll probably need to wait for his heir, since he's going to hate you for usurping his title). Gold.

Dang, that's gonna hurt. :p

But it should be worth it to vassalize his heir. The Duke already hates me, but he's a child murdering scumbag. :mad: Will just have to figure out how to do him in once I take everything he loves.

Thank you for the quick answers!

Meneth said:
The base is 5% per year. This can be increased by the training ground buildings.
However, it should be noted that any given troop type will always reinforce at a minimum on 1 unit per month, which is often considerably higher than 5%. If you've got a force of 120 heavy inf from a castle for example, it'd effectively be reinforcing at 10% per year.
And thank you Meneth and anonymous for the quick answers to my question on levy replenishment. I had actually misjudged the outcome of the war - The Army besieging Shiraz didn't wipe out their army, they were fleeing from it. Serves me right for not putting my spymaster in sooner for a reconaissance. But I had to jump in before my neighbor became too powerful. Took one province in a de jure war and got away with it because he was losing more soldiers to attrition than battle. Even got a muslim mayor who thinks very highly of me and is paying me fat taxes (gotta love those content vassals).

Last edited:
I've read that ruler's childrens who are not heir inherit claims on titles of the ruler at his death.
But in my current game, I can see that all over the place, only the primary title claim is inherited.
For example ruler is Duke of X, Count of A, Count of B
Only a claim on Duchy X is inherited...
Is it WAD or ?
It's frustrating when you want to get counties of a duchy...

I've read that ruler's childrens who are not heir inherit claims on titles of the ruler at his death.
But in my current game, I can see that all over the place, only the primary title claim is inherited.
For example ruler is Duke of X, Count of A, Count of B
Only a claim on Duchy X is inherited...
Is it WAD or ?
It's frustrating when you want to get counties of a duchy...

I've noticed this too. I think a 'parent' claim eliminates constituent claims. So if the King of Ireland owns Leinster and 3 counties, his kids will only get the claim on Ireland. (Since the lesser ones would be redundant)

Sorry but i couldnt find an answer on the forum
I reigned for ten years and i still cant change the sucession law?
First time i have this problem

Sorry but i couldnt find an answer on the forum
I reigned for ten years and i still cant change the sucession law?
First time i have this problem

You'll have to check the mouse-over tooltip, when you hover over the succession laws. It will tell you specifically what you are missing. Probably the whole 'no vassals at war' clause.

I've noticed this too. I think a 'parent' claim eliminates constituent claims. So if the King of Ireland owns Leinster and 3 counties, his kids will only get the claim on Ireland. (Since the lesser ones would be redundant)

Are they really redundant ? As if I push claim on a duchy I won't be able to effectively get the counties owned by the duke... or am I wrong ?

You'll have to check the mouse-over tooltip, when you hover over the succession laws. It will tell you specifically what you are missing. Probably the whole 'no vassals at war' clause.
No
(X) Reigned for ten years
My ruler is a healthy 30 year old man and ruled since he was 11
I never had any problems and everything worked just fine with all my previous games from Portugal to Russia

How bad will inbreeding mess up my dynasty? Will the inbred trait go away if I diversify my gene pool, and if not, do the state modifiers get worse through subsequent generations?

I'm just curious as it is a game mechanic I haven't really explored.

Someone know how to open the console in-game? I wanted to try some things and can`t cheat because my ~ don`t do anything apparently. :blush:
1) [alt] + 2 1 works for me.

I guess this means while pressing alt you press 2 then 1. Results negative

SHIFT + §

Shift + what? :confused: May I point out that I have the steam version vanilla and fully patched. I also use a simple qwerty keyboard with english language set up :). Steam may have nothing to do but from personnal experience, I have trouble on many games from it to enable tilde (~) compared to the ones I installed manually...

Other questions:

Cosanguinity, how far apart from each person involved is safe from having cosanguinity bad traits? I have daughters to marry but with matrially, all I get is people from my same dynasty (dark blood drop though). Getting "your parent" for their origin in tooltip is rather vague. Is getting new courtisan the only solution left?

Tech board, it says demesme or kingdom. If I have a liege, is it his kingdom or my "kingdom" (the titles I have)?

Is there a way to manually split units with specific numbers. Not just the preset numbers shown? Or manually raise the number of units?

I guess this means while pressing alt you press 2 then 1. Results negative
21 has to be typed on the NumPad.

Shift + what? :confused: May I point out that I have the steam version vanilla and fully patched. I also use a simple qwerty keyboard with english language set up :). Steam may have nothing to do but from personnal experience, I have trouble on many games from it to enable tilde (~) compared to the ones I installed manually...
Try pressing whatever button is left of your 1 key. If that doesn't work, try holding shift.

Technically, I think the console is opened by the ` key, not the ~ key. On my keyboard, they're the same key, but perhaps yours is different.
It is also opened by § (left of 1 on Swedish keyboards. That plus Shift on Norwegian and Danish keyboards). I assume the reason ` also works is that some Paradox devs use the British layout.