• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
My question: If I grant a duchy to a vassal for which I hold all the county titles, then he gets basically no benefit out of it, correct? I.e., I'm obviously not his vassal, and the lower titles beneath the count title (mayorships, bishoprics, etc.) are my vassals, not his. Is this a good way to get rid of a duchy title and avoid holding too many? I realize they get opinion penalties because they desire the counties, but if you can manage that is there any downside, or is better somehow for me to hold the duchy title over the counties I hold?

Hey all,

So, I tried playing with Portucale and the first moments of the game open up with my liege (Galicia) deciding to join the other Spanish Kings in trouncing the Eastern Spanish Muslim Emirates. My liege raises some of my troops as levies and I get an icon at the bottom of my screen as to how I am, apparently, at war. But if I click on the name of the guy, I still get the option to declare war on him. what gives? I can't recall if I raised my own levies and marched alongside to lay siege, though I vaguely recall being unable to do so. Like my troops would get there and stand about.
Question being, if your liege goes to war, don't you go to war with him? and if so, how come I can declare war too on the guy I'm already at war with and not negotiate peace with the War Leader? Is that just a poorly named button that should be like 'add war goal' or 'establish war aims'?

Are there any limitations on this? I've noticed in several games that my bishops don't appear to get any bonus from educating my kids even though they have the highest learning and would seemingly make great teachers. They do get penalties when I take kids away from them.

What's also weird is that sometimes it will say that a character will get a relations boost to becoming a guardian, and then they don't get it. I don't understand how relations with guardian/wards work very well.

My question: If I grant a duchy to a vassal for which I hold all the county titles, then he gets basically no benefit out of it, correct? I.e., I'm obviously not his vassal, and the lower titles beneath the count title (mayorships, bishoprics, etc.) are my vassals, not his. Is this a good way to get rid of a duchy title and avoid holding too many? I realize they get opinion penalties because they desire the counties, but if you can manage that is there any downside, or is better somehow for me to hold the duchy title over the counties I hold?

Well besides the relations hit, and all that that entails, you should be fine. He does need land somewhere of course.

Is there anyway to get rid of the depressed trait? It seems to come and go at random.

Events giveth and events taketh away. As a ruler the only thing you really have control of to remove it is not having your ruler as a general. You really just got to tough it out, and hope you don't go insane. Not joking, that can happen, even more so for geniuses and inbred.
Edit: Sorry was thinking stressed, not depressed. Same thing but diligent zealous and content help, instead of no commanding an army. Still can lead to insanity though.

Hey all,

So, I tried playing with Portucale and the first moments of the game open up with my liege (Galicia) deciding to join the other Spanish Kings in trouncing the Eastern Spanish Muslim Emirates. My liege raises some of my troops as levies and I get an icon at the bottom of my screen as to how I am, apparently, at war. But if I click on the name of the guy, I still get the option to declare war on him. what gives? I can't recall if I raised my own levies and marched alongside to lay siege, though I vaguely recall being unable to do so. Like my troops would get there and stand about.
Question being, if your liege goes to war, don't you go to war with him? and if so, how come I can declare war too on the guy I'm already at war with and not negotiate peace with the War Leader? Is that just a poorly named button that should be like 'add war goal' or 'establish war aims'?
Your liege is at war, you are not. You can though declare war, it will be a separate, and it will be resolved seperatly.

Odd...
Do you have a screen shot? Was she married before, did the first husband have a bastard son? Are you sure you are not sirring bastards? No shame in admitting it to us.

Yeah, I don't know. My grandfather was a bastard, so maybe something got stuck from there? She also hated me for her not controlling to counties in her duchy, a duchy in my kingdom. Man, this game has some complex twists to it.

Anyway, doesn't matter now, something unfortunate did in fact happen to her.. (now her heir to the duchy, whom which is also the heir to my kingdom, hates me for not controlling those counties, and threatens to revolt.)

Yeah, I don't know. My grandfather was a bastard, so maybe something got stuck from there? She also hated me for her not controlling to counties in her duchy, a duchy in my kingdom. Man, this game has some complex twists to it.

Anyway, doesn't matter now, something unfortunate did in fact happen to her.. (now her heir to the duchy, whom which is also the heir to my kingdom, hates me for not controlling those counties, and threatens to revolt.)

That will keep happening till you take the ducal title, or grant the land. A duke wants all the counties that are part of their de jure duchy, and will have relations hits & de jure ducal CBs against the holder/liege of holder.

My queen (wife) seems to hate me (-100) partly because of "legitimized bastard" (-50). Anybody know what it means? I'm not a bastard, and my heir is mine and the queens son, so no bastard there either.

She's currently plotting to kill me, and as a duchess in one of my duchies she's at 50% revolt risk. Thing is, despite everything, I love my queen and wouldn't want anything "unfortunate" to happen to her..

A legitimized bastard doesnt have to be your heir. I had the option to legitimize one of my children. She was a forth daughter or something; far from inheriting anything. I choose to do so and everyone in my family had a negative effect because of it. My wife had the -50 effect. Ouch.

Thanks CirMag!

But how come I get the little Icon with the Emir's face and the percentage box on it? Is that not an "I'm at war with..." notification?

That will keep happening till you take the ducal title, or grant the land. A duke wants all the counties that are part of their de jure duchy, and will have relations hits & de jure ducal CBs against the holder/liege of holder.

Yes, that's what I figured. So my options are keeping him unhappy or revoking the titles of the counts and giving them to my son, angering half my kingdom in the process? That probably wouldn't work either as i would get a -20 penalty for every title i revoke?

A legitimized bastard doesnt have to be your heir. I had the option to legitimize one of my children. She was a forth daughter or something; far from inheriting anything. I choose to do so and everyone in my family had a negative effect because of it. My wife had the -50 effect. Ouch.

Bingo! Thanks.
It appears I was seduced by an older lady and legitimized our bastard daughter. No wonder the Queen was upset. (This happened while i was still playing as the grandfather).

In my first & current game, I’ve come across the follow issues. I’m playing the Duchy of Saxony in HRE.

1) Can you only press one claim per war?

I have 3 different claims on the Duchy of Brandenburg. When I declare war, I have to select one claim, and only one, to go to war over. Negotiating peace does not seem to allow me to make other demands. So to resolve my 3 claims, I have to fight 3 separate wars?

2) Do you lose control of your previous Duchy’s government after becoming a King?

I fought a war with Norway and became the King of Norway. I am still a vassal of HRE. Duchy of Saxony, Kingdom of Norway, and HRE are all Elective Secession. I seem to have lost the ability to vote or participate in the election of my Duchy even though I’m still the Duke. I can’t even view a page for it anymore and cannot change the law. Although I still get mail telling me who is voting for whom. The annoying part is that the elected heir is a different son than the one I have been supporting to inherit the Kingdom of Norway.

3) Can you get more votes in an elective government?

The tool tip says that the vassals my not support a move to an elective government if the liege has too much control. I tried stacking Duke titles and seem to have no change, so I would assume you cannot. Any different way to do so? It has been quite difficult to convince the Norwegian Dukes to support the son of their German invader as the next King…

Thank you for responses.

Thanks CirMag!

But how come I get the little Icon with the Emir's face and the percentage box on it? Is that not an "I'm at war with..." notification?

The icon, in your case, means your liege is at war with him and what his warscore is. If you declare war on him as well you'll get a separate box. You are half-way at war with him if your liege is at war with him. The Emir can take your land, you can defeat his armies and (iirc) lay siege to his holdings (when the sieges are done your liege will get them added to his if there's no separate war though) but you can not offer peace.

I have 3 different claims on the Duchy of Brandenburg. When I declare war, I have to select one claim, and only one, to go to war over. Negotiating peace does not seem to allow me to make other demands. So to resolve my 3 claims, I have to fight 3 separate wars?

Yes, I believe there are special cases to this though.

2) Do you lose control of your previous Duchy’s government after becoming a King?

No, if you were duke, you will be king and duke. Have you checked in your Laws screen (in the screen on the top left, to the right of your King title) whether you can switch between HRE/King and Duchy laws? There should at least be 2 (not sure about HRE) crests (or coat of arms) up there that you can switch between.

Last edited:
No, if you were duke, you will be king and duke. Have you checked in your Laws screen (top left, to the right of your King title) whether you can switch between HRE/King and Duchy laws? There should at least be 2 (not sure about HRE) crests (or coat of arms) up there that you can switch between.

The Laws tab has the ability to switch between the Kingdom of Norway and the HRE laws. My Duchy is not present. Maybe it is a bug.

Ahh, it may be that the Duchy has been integrated into your kingdom so that it doesn't have any separate laws but the succession has been switched to your Norwegian one.

@Calbrenar: I'm a little confused. Are you absolutely sure they're your sons?

Ahh, it may be that the Duchy has been integrated into your kingdom so that it doesn't have any separate laws but the succession has been switched to your Norwegian one.

I think you are correct. One of my sons demanded a change to the secession laws in the Kingdom of Norway. I accepted. I do not recall seeing any other notifications on the Election for the Duchy after that. It must have switched as well.

That is a situation that could be better implemented. I had two separate elections without any way to effect the Duchy.

In my first & current game, I’ve come across the follow issues. I’m playing the Duchy of Saxony in HRE.

I fought a war with Norway and became the King of Norway. I am still a vassal of HRE. Duchy of Saxony, Kingdom of Norway, and HRE are all Elective Secession. I seem to have lost the ability to vote or participate in the election of my Duchy even though I’m still the Duke. I can’t even view a page for it anymore and cannot change the law. Although I still get mail telling me who is voting for whom. The annoying part is that the elected heir is a different son than the one I have been supporting to inherit the Kingdom of Norway.

3) Can you get more votes in an elective government?

The tool tip says that the vassals my not support a move to an elective government if the liege has too much control. I tried stacking Duke titles and seem to have no change, so I would assume you cannot. Any different way to do so? It has been quite difficult to convince the Norwegian Dukes to support the son of their German invader as the next King…

Thank you for responses.

1- One claim = One war. There is some situation when you can press all claims in a single war but I don't know how it can happen. On one occasion I was able to press all claim against the king of sweden and danemark. I was the duke of slesvig and I had claim on skane and danemark. So i got both in a single war.

2- There is no gouvernement of saxony and no election for it. All duke titles goes to your firstborn if you lose the election in Norway. If you win election in norway, you keep your king titles and every duke titles also.

3- You have to stacks duke titles in de jure norwegian kingdom to get more votes there. Germans dukes dont get to vote for Norwegians kingdom.