• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In order for the ruler to have a child with his wife, do you need to place him in the exact same region that his wife is?

And if so, can this be done if your ruler is under the commands of his liege, fighting in a contested region?

\crusader kings ii\common\religions\00_religions.txt lists all religions with their heresies.

For the lazy,

Christian: Catholic, Cathar, Fraticelli, Waldensian, Lollard, Orthodox, Bogomilist, Iconoclast, Monophysite, Nestorian
Muslim: Sunni, Zikri, Yazidi, Ibadi, Shiite, Bektashi, Druze, Hurufi
Pagan: Norse, Tengri, Baltic, Finnish
Zoroastrian: Zoroastrian

Which begs the question, what is necessary (beyond zero Catholic moral authority) to make Bogomilist, Iconoclast, Monophysite, and Nestorian heresy appear? I managed to grind the church down to zero authority, and I never saw those four anywhere.

edit: Those four are Orthodox heretics. "parent = orthodox"

Last edited:
Which begs the question, what is necessary (beyond zero Catholic moral authority) to make Bogomilist, Iconoclast, Monophysite, and Nestorian heresy appear? I managed to grind the church down to zero authority, and I never saw those four anywhere.

As far as I know, those four you listed are Orthodox heresies, so it is Ecumenical Patriarch instead of Pope who you have to make lose authority.

Anyone else getting this bug? Im currently playing as Rus. Sometimes when I give a title to a bishop I dont get piety. Its kind or random really. Id give a guy one county and get piety. I give him another county and get nothing.

How do I change the religion of an adult. My guy is a king so I cant swear fealty.

The moral authority defines the change of a heresy spreading. If the moral authority is at 0% then the it is likely that a heresy wil form. Think of it like this.

Moral authority Heresy likelyhood
100 1%
50 30%
0 90%

They are imaginary numbers purely as demonstration.

I thought Paradox changed it in one of the later patches meaning that granting county's to church people doesn't stack.
There are 3 ways of changing religion.
1. They cheat
2. Become a heretic (event from your court chaplain)
3. As a kid have a gaurdian of the desired fate.

They only thing you can do now is die and hope that your kid gets the desired religion.
Or cheat ofcourse.

I thought Paradox changed it in one of the later patches meaning that granting county's to church people doesn't stack.
There are 3 ways of changing religion.
1. They cheat
2. Become a heretic (event from your court chaplain)
3. As a kid have a gaurdian of the desired fate.

They only thing you can do now is die and hope that your kid gets the desired religion.
Or cheat ofcourse.

My kid is also an adult! The situation Im trying for is 1) Unite Russia 2) Emperor becomes catholic 3) Emperors asks heir to convert 4) Emperor takes everyone's titles away and redistribute them to catholic Russians 5) Holy orders wreck the Cumans while Anti-Pope rakes in the cash 6) make the mongols regret ever setting foot on Russian soil

How can I appoint military commanders? I know there is a crown authority requirement, what I do not know, how to do it exactly when I meet the requirement. Is there a menu somewhere?

My kid is also an adult! The situation Im trying for is 1) Unite Russia 2) Emperor becomes catholic 3) Emperors asks heir to convert 4) Emperor takes everyone's titles away and redistribute them to catholic Russians 5) Holy orders wreck the Cumans while Anti-Pope rakes in the cash 6) make the mongols regret ever setting foot on Russian soil

Find the last one in the line of succession (your son's first son?) and send him to be educated by a Catholic. You may need to form an alliance by importing a Catholic mail-order-bride. If it works anything like educating a child into a new culture, the educator will need to have the traits Diligent and Gregarious. These two will make culture change much faster, and my guess is, religion as well.

I personally have never tried this, but you could also import a Catholic and make him your Court Chaplain. I do not know if it is possible to have the event fire for Orthodox leaders, as this is not a heresy related to Catholics, but if it is, you should soon be presented with an opportunity to convert to your Chaplain's faith.

If it works anything like educating a child into a new culture, the educator will need to have the traits Diligent and Gregarious. These two will make culture change much faster, and my guess is, religion as well.

Not exactly. The event for religious conversion is different. Diligent and Zealous both give a factor of 0.5 to the MTTH of 120. The mentor being a Priests factors at 0.2 and both Slothful and Cynical factors at 2.0 so avoid those two :p The best then is a Diligent and Zealous Priest for a MTTH of 6, which means it'll almost certainly happen.

Not exactly. The event for religious conversion is different. Diligent and Zealous both give a factor of 0.5 to the MTTH of 120. The mentor being a Priests factors at 0.2 and both Slothful and Cynical factors at 2.0 so avoid those two :p The best then is a Diligent and Zealous Priest for a MTTH of 6, which means it'll almost certainly happen.

So there's no way to make the current king catholic?

I'm playing the Duchy of Holland in the HRE. I now control all the counties of the de jure Kingdom of Frisia. Why can't I create the title? The Create Title icon at the top of the screen doesn't appear. (I've checked the Disabled Alerts box.)

I'm also not getting an option to marry my betrothed and now I can't do anything with her.

If you're playing a muslim, you can't switch chaplains, but you can appoint new ones. I don't know whether that answers the question?

Search for Frisia (using the tool in the lower right-hand corner) and it should tell you why. You are Dutch, right?

Sometimes the betrothal takes a little while to work through.

So there's no way to make the current king catholic?

THe only way I know is to swear fealty to an Emperor and switch to his religion.

I cant add anyone in the Chaplain position? Is there a new game mechanic I dont understand or am missing, or should I report this?

Lack of people with the correct educational trait. You need the priest line. Just use the priest decision on the intrigue page.