• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello my question is about the 3D models that represent your armies on the map. Most of the time they are on foot, but occasionally they are mounted, such as in the attached picture. What determines when they appear as a mounted troop? ss_167286da67f148ff0e6a7ada5ae78ca89627324c.1920x1080.jpg

Help! My count's province has been taken over my Muslims!

What can I do to survive and expand?

Educate your heir with a muslim (of your liege's denomination).
Go to "Intrigue" and see if there is an option to convert yourself to your Liege's religion. I know there's an option to convert to his culture, but I'm not sure if there are restrictions on converting religion through decisions.

Do you intend to expand over towards the Middle East? If so, Italy. If you're worried about tech, just keep some of Italy in your demesne for a while (I *think* land in your demesne gets a tech boost if you have other land in your demesne that is of higher tech) before switching your capital there - also, build the research buildings in your future capital, and send your councilors to research tech there.

I intend to rule all of the Mediterranean. I was planing on making Lombardy and Verona my base but i completely forgot about distance penalties. I think I'm gonna put my capital in Rome or Palermo and work it out from there.

How does one get "Absolute Cognatic" gender laws? It seems to have a culture requirement - does that mean I pretty much need to be in a particular geographical area in order to do this?

You need to be Basque culture. That means either start as Navarra or get a basque tutor to educate your heir and hope he changes culture.

Alright. I am currently under Agnatic-Cognatic. Before he died, the prior ruler had three daughters. Originally, the heir was the eldest (as expected). However, later on, the heir switched spontaneously, and I was never given a reason why.

what determines which daughter will be the heir (if there are no sons) ?

With medium authority you can kick out infidels who are your vassals.
But the Fatimids are, presumably, independent - not your vassals.

It's like, if England conquered half of France (for instance). The newly English lands would be in de jure France, but the French king wouldn't have the authority to revoke them, because England is independent - the counties are no longer his to revoke.

The Fatimids took over the Byzantine Empire. Therefore, I am now his vassal. And since I was a count, there was very little I could do to prevent this. -.-;;

What you say is also false. They tried to revoke my stuff 3 times in two different games. Once directly from the Sultan and two from my superior.

With medium authority you can kick out infidels who are your vassals.
But the Fatimids are, presumably, independent - not your vassals.

It's like, if England conquered half of France (for instance). The newly English lands would be in de jure France, but the French king wouldn't have the authority to revoke them, because England is independent - the counties are no longer his to revoke.

So whats the solution? Do I just have to deal with it?

Alright. I am currently under Agnatic-Cognatic. Before he died, the prior ruler had three daughters. Originally, the heir was the eldest (as expected). However, later on, the heir switched spontaneously, and I was never given a reason why.

what determines which daughter will be the heir (if there are no sons) ?

It will be determined as if they were all sons. My guess here is that is has something with who's she's married to, and the inability of lands with high CA to pass outside the realm due to inheritance. Hard to say without knowing more.

Two things here. The first problem is you made him a baron. If you give any of your sons land they make their own choices.

The second problem is making betrothals to underage female landowners. They accept the betrothal at the time but once they come of age they say "Wait a second. If I marry this guy my children won't be of my dynasty!" The AI likes to keep land in the same dynasty thus when the female comes of age she won't marry you unless it's matrilineal.

It's a pain in the ass and something that will hopefully fixed in the future. So a good tip is never make betrothals to female land owners. Only marry them when they are of age.

Thanks for the answer. Wish I hadn't made him a baron, I could at least have broken the betrothal then as it turns out the countess in question is a scheming little minx who is currently residing in my dungeons. There definitely needs to be some way of getting out of betrothals which neither party wants to honour... some sort of natural 'expiry' X number of years after they come of age, perhaps?

Thanks for the answer. Wish I hadn't made him a baron, I could at least have broken the betrothal then as it turns out the countess in question is a scheming little minx who is currently residing in my dungeons. There definitely needs to be some way of getting out of betrothals which neither party wants to honour... some sort of natural 'expiry' X number of years after they come of age, perhaps?

There is. A bethrothal expires when the youngest partner is 20. Though I don't recall if it expires upon turning 20 or 21. You can find this in \crusader kings ii\common\defines.lua:line 264

If you want a stable kingdom with few rebellions, do you have lots of counts or a few dukes?

If you want a stable kingdom with few rebellions, do you have lots of counts or a few dukes?

It's easier keeping a few counts happy (as there are fewer people to pay attention to), while single County Counts aren't a threat if they DO revolt. Both work, it's more playstyle than anything else.

The less vassals you have the easier it is to keep them happy. I like to make as many vassal kings as I can. But you need to balance not having to many vassals and making those you do have too strong. You don't really want a strong kingdom revolting against you in the middle of a war against another empire.

Lots of counts since if there are no duchies and kingdoms to usurp then you will be saved from the inevitable relations losses. And if one revolts it's very easy to put them down.

Will Titular kingdoms/Empires become De Juer later on or is it permanently Title Based? I am thinking of creating one but I'm concered that there is no land that is De Jure.

My daughter, Queen of England, just inherited my king's title and is now Queen of Ireland as well. I made Ireland her primary title, gave away all her demesne lands in England to new countesses, and moved my court back to Ulster. However, the land is still labelled as ENGLAND. How to I make this show as Ireland?

UkiVC.png