• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
First question: can the KoJ - or anyone else, for that matter - vassalise the Templars or Hospitallers? Especially after they become landed?

It's POSSIBLE, but requires some exploit-y game-play. They'll never accept cassalisation unless they're forced to it. Which requires you to land them, then invite one of their claimants, then land him, then press his claim. Againt, it's somewhat of an exploit.

Second question: what are the best troops to assault castles with? What type of combat is an assault? (I've looked in the defines.lua but don't see it.)

I want to answer that troops are the best troops for assaulting. There've been some discussion about this before, but as I recall, it didn't lead to much :)

My question is whether there's some tab or other that lists all my Honorary Title and who I have given them to?

No, there's not. Mostly because they have no real effect beyond the money/prestige/relationship boosts.

Can characters (in particular, heirs) randomly alter their culture for no good reason at all?

You obviously already know how they're supposed to change depending on their tutor, and other than that, there are a fairly limited number or ways to change culture. There's the convert_to_liege_culture decision, but the AI doesn't use it (factor 0).

Is there any benefit to creating a new kingdom out of a part of my realm? I'm playing as Sweden and recently conquered 8/15 parts of the Kingdom of Finland "region"(?) and I can create the Kingdom of Finland. Will this cause more problems than it benefits me?

Probably. Conquer the rest of finland and let the title disappear (afeter 100 years), then create the titular title. Or, if you're going for the Scandinavian Empire, just create it.

Also I'm pretty much a complete newb and I'm having serious problems getting my vassals to like me. I have to constantly bash their heads in every few years because they keep rebelling and this is just a cycle that continuously worsens relations. What should I do? I don't imprison without a valid cause, I don't revoke titles without having a proper cause, I don't do anything ruthless to people in my own realm or outside it. I have recently been more lenient on conscription and taxes for my feudal vassals and have always been having the minimum levies for both cities and churches and the taxes have been somewhere in the middle but this doesn't seem to go very far. I know my taxes are fairly heavy and this causes some problems, especially in regards to my feudal vassals, but I can't see why this would make them almost constantly rebel.

Well, squashing them, stripping them of a title and then letting them die in prison is the tried and true solution, but as to the cause of the problem. Do you hold more than your demesne limit? More than two Ducal titles? More than one elector title? Does your king have low diplomacy stats and horrible traits (cruel or arbitrary for instance). It all contributes.

And finally, I would say I have a very good grasp of the economical and administrative aspect of the game but the diplomatic side is a terrible headache for me both in regards to within own realm and outside it. Any general tips for a newbie to be good at diplomacy? For example the possibility to inherit other nations/duchies/counties, how to "properly" manage all my children in regards to marriages with other states and so on. Oh and most importantly, how do I get my vassal dukes to approve the person I want as my heir? Since there is always at least one person constantly far below 0 relations I can't improve the laws regarding succession and I still have elected kings, though thankfully I haven't had the kingship pass to an undesireable person yet.

This isn't really a "Quick Question", so I'll direct you to the guide.

Quick question for any Mac users.

Is there a shortcut to minimise the screen and get back to desktop? I find when I am playing on my MacBook I have to quit the game and check emails etc before loading the game back up to play. Im sure EU3 had cmd+f or something to do this but can't find a way to do with this

Also this thread has been a godsend for a newb like me. Keep up the great questions and answers guys!

Well, squashing them, stripping them of a title and then letting them die in prison is the tried and true solution, but as to the cause of the problem. Do you hold more than your demesne limit? More than two Ducal titles? More than one elector title? Does your king have low diplomacy stats and horrible traits (cruel or arbitrary for instance). It all contributes.

I am craven but also just so that's a net gain of +5 relations. My previous rulers haven't had any really negative traits either. My ruler diplomacy is 2 but state diplomacy is 19 so I don't think there's a big problem there (I get a +9 relations bonus from diplomacy). I have never been over my demesne limit but I have three ducal titles, though I own all of the provinces that are part of those titles. Why is that a problem? I'm not sure what an elector title is. On relations it says "elector titles held: -30". I've also been very lenient and released most if not all of my vassals a few years after they were captured but should I simply let them die in the oubliette instead? That seems like it would worsen relations but maybe I'm wrong.

Maybe this shouldn't even go in the thread since it's not really a quick question but I didn't want to create an entirely new thread either when I saw there was a quick questions thread... sorry about that.

I am craven but also just so that's a net gain of +5 relations. My previous rulers haven't had any really negative traits either. My ruler diplomacy is 2 but state diplomacy is 19 so I don't think there's a big problem there (I get a +9 relations bonus from diplomacy). I have never been over my demesne limit but I have three ducal titles, though I own all of the provinces that are part of those titles. Why is that a problem? I'm not sure what an elector title is. On relations it says "elector titles held: -30". I've also been very lenient and released most if not all of my vassals a few years after they were captured but should I simply let them die in the oubliette instead? That seems like it would worsen relations but maybe I'm wrong.

Maybe this shouldn't even go in the thread since it's not really a quick question but I didn't want to create an entirely new thread either when I saw there was a quick questions thread... sorry about that.

This is fine (but explaining the system you asked about would take a while :p I'm lazy >_> ).

An elector title is a title that provides a vote in electing heirs. Since your Kingdom is Elective and you hold three votes (though they only net you one vote), your vassals are angry that you hog the power. The rule is like this: In an elective kingdom, the king can hold one ducal title and in any other type of kingdom, the king can hold two ducal titles. Anything above these, will cause some significant maluses. So destroy or give away two of yours and you should see a lot of improvement.

You obviously already know how they're supposed to change depending on their tutor, and other than that, there are a fairly limited number or ways to change culture. There's the convert_to_liege_culture decision, but the AI doesn't use it (factor 0).

The problem is with adults changing culture. It's like they just didn't want to be Basque once they got back to Ireland. I know that all of my children were Basque, and now they are not. My final hopes of a Basque king of Ireland (my ultimate goal in my current game) has gone down the drain as the final Basque relative of mine was tutored by an Irishman, outside of my control, and is now Irish. I have to quit and start all over.

Under what circumstances would an adult, controlled by the AI, change culture?

edit: Here are some screenshots in case you don't believe me:

uwpfx.png

GaFKB.png

This man killed his older brother, converted to Irish, and then sent his son to be tutored by an Irishman. He is the bane of my existence. I would imprison and execute him, but he is king now. I am going to fly into a rage if this happens again, and being that I have no idea what could have caused it, it probably will.

Last edited:
Under what circumstances would an adult, controlled by the AI, change culture?
There's a decision to change to the culture of your liege.

This is fine (but explaining the system you asked about would take a while :p I'm lazy >_> ).

An elector title is a title that provides a vote in electing heirs. Since your Kingdom is Elective and you hold three votes (though they only net you one vote), your vassals are angry that you hog the power. The rule is like this: In an elective kingdom, the king can hold one ducal title and in any other type of kingdom, the king can hold two ducal titles. Anything above these, will cause some significant maluses. So destroy or give away two of yours and you should see a lot of improvement.
I think the ducal limit in elective kingdoms is still two.

There's a decision to change to the culture of your liege.

Under what conditions would the AI take this decision? Isaios said that it is programmed not to take it, so this is either not the case or he doesn't know what he was talking about. I just watched another of my Basque family members change to Irish immediately following his ascendency to Dukedom. However, I have three other Basque Dukes, none of whom have converted.

I think the ducal limit in elective kingdoms is still two.

Check \crusader kings ii\common\defines.lua:line 31

Under what conditions would the AI take this decision? Isaios said that it is programmed not to take it, so this is either not the case or he doesn't know what he was talking about. I just watched another of my Basque family members change to Irish immediately following his ascendency to Dukedom. However, I have three other Basque Dukes, none of whom have converted.

From what I know, there's only one way for an adult to change (a decision under the intrigue tab where a character changes culture to that of his liege) and that decision includes a line for AI where it is given a factor of 0, which means it should never be used. This probably means that there's some AI specific means of culture shift. I'll look through the event files and see if i can find it for you.

I'm Byzantine Empire, I usurped Fatimid Sultanate and thus destroyed it. Unfortunately now my court is full of (160+) Muslim courtiers and I can do very little about it. It's extremely frustrating, how to get rid of them?

I'm Byzantine Empire, I usurped Fatimid Sultanate and thus destroyed it. Unfortunately now my court is full of (160+) Muslim courtiers and I can do very little about it. It's extremely frustrating, how to get rid of them?
I'd suggest either taking the boring route of asking every one of them to convert one by one, or the long one of just converting all your provinces to christian and wait for the current muslim lines to die out. Being curtiers, none of them can marry without their liege's approval, so they should die out fast-ish, as long as all your vassals are christian (and therefore won't marry them themselves).

Wait a generation or two and let them die out, or systematically go through every one of them and demand religious conversion, or set your Court Chaplain in your capital with the Convert Populace task, or imprison and banish the lot.

Christian Counties/Duchies that start with Primogeniture? Anywhere?

I hate dealing with gavelkind, just murdering children to play does not seem right to me.

Then .. don't? That might be a solution. Make 'em priests. Or arrange the inheritance to fit.

If not: Scotland, Godwin England and Barcelona.

How do the new assassinations plots work? Im trying my first game since the expansion and i want to kill the king of Castille. The plot power is over 100% but im not getting any option to do anything.

Any idea how big is the % chance of it happening? He needs to die before he gets an heir.

Yes and no. I know which file to look in, and where in the file, but there're far too many events for me to go through. The info you want is in \crusader kings ii\events\plot_events.txt:line 1705 and down a bit.

Then .. don't? That might be a solution. Make 'em priests. Or arrange the inheritance to fit.

If not: Scotland, Godwin England and Barcelona.

Bishoprics just seems like an exploit to me, and anyways I always find it strange that I cannot choose who to give inheritance to.

I'll try and roll Barcelona next. Any other ones out there? Central Europe?

Are there many sunni jihads much? I tried disabling shia ones and now they hardly ever happen.