• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I am in a bit of a pickle. I'm playing as Ireland and when the old king died, his children got the various holdings due to gavelkind. But one of these dukes was married to a French noblewoman and after her father died, my duke became a duke of a large Duchy in France. The problem was he is now no longer my vassal and he took Connacht county with him. Now I have a large swath of Ireland painted blue.

I could declare war on the King of France (ducal claim) but that doesn't seem the most healthy choice; he probably has more soldiers than I do. I thought of assassinating my former duke but even after developing a spy network in his county the chances are still pretty slim.

At this point, going to war is not an option so the only way I see me getting that county back is to check that county's entire succession line and hope that one of them will be my vassal or possibly myself.

Is there anything I've forgotten or left out any venue of acquiring that county?

I could declare war on the King of France (ducal claim) but that doesn't seem the most healthy choice; he probably has more soldiers than I do.
Barring any other advice you can find out exactly how many troops he can call up, and exactly how many he has available. On the personal or 'portrait' screen for that ruler (or any of his vassals) there is a series of three buttons in the upper right quadrants, above the stats. One is family tree, another is dynasty view, and the last one lists the liege, all vassals, their vassals, and by mousing over you can tell how much troops (and %) each has. Sometimes you will be amazed at how few troops a liege can call up. (I've seen an excommunicated Emperor of a vast HRE only able to call up 10k troops, and a baby French King only able to call up 15k out of 45k)

Barring any assassination related shenanigans you just have to wait until the French King is occupied in war(s) elsewhere and then attack concurrently. I mean this is France we're talking about, they have more rebellions per year then national holidays.

How is it that the initial Mongol hordes are attrition-free? I looked at the mongol_events.txt and could see no answer. What do you think?

How is it that the initial Mongol hordes are attrition-free? I looked at the mongol_events.txt and could see no answer. What do you think?

I don't know, but I think the enormous stacks spawned by 100% decadence in Sword of Islam have the same quality. You could have a look at the event that creates those.

Nope, not there either, though the syntax of those events is interesting.

However, I then compared with spawned rebels, which do get attrition, I believe. The rebels have a "home" province, but the Mongols and the religious fanatics don't. Maybe that's it?

Why am I getting DESTROYED?

1) Maybe I'm missing something, but why are all my supposed ALLIES getting me excommunicated and then declaring war on me?

2) Why is it that after I lose my initial army, I never seem to generate any more troops?

3) Can somebody please explain how the character switching mechanic works? I'm one character....and then I'm another....oops, now I'm back to the original.....hey, I'm my uncle now...

4) Are there any beginner guides out there? The forum devoted to that is empty

I really want to like this game...but honestly so far it's been painful. I don't mind losing, but this game just has me scratching my head, wanting my forty bucks back so far. Please help me like it.

Note: I'm not some COD adrenaline junky that can't think, as Civ is my favorite series of all time. I used to think it was complicated for beginners....HA!

Don't worry this game is hard to get into but it's surprisingly simple once you get the hang of it.

1) AI doesn't always act rationally, and excommunications is one thing they are so trigger happy with. Send your court chaplain to improve religious relations in Rome to keep the Pope happy and thus prevent excommunications. Buying indulgences also gives temporary immunity to excommunication
2) I've wondered the same thing and I suspect the AI just plain cheats. Makes a bit sense though, given their nonexistent tactics often destroys their starting army with little player intervention.
3) You play as your realm's ruler. In the Law menu (click the icon with the small hammer in upper left corner) you see your succession and succession laws. When your ruler dies you play as his/her heir, and so on. Make sure you are not mistaking character info menu (the screen with the character's details) with your actual character (the guy who is in upper left corner)
4) http://ckiiwiki.com/Beginner's_Guide

I have trouble understanding how the technology works.
-Why has yellow stars and blue stars? What's the difference?
-I have a high level in my capital, say infantry melee weapons, which means that the soldiers there will be best. But when I close the whole army of my kingdom, soldiers will come from several counties, each with different levels of technology. How this will work in battle?

1) Maybe I'm missing something, but why are all my supposed ALLIES getting me excommunicated and then declaring war on me?

2) Why is it that after I lose my initial army, I never seem to generate any more troops?

3) Can somebody please explain how the character switching mechanic works? I'm one character....and then I'm another....oops, now I'm back to the original.....hey, I'm my uncle now...

4) Are there any beginner guides out there? The forum devoted to that is empty

I really want to like this game...but honestly so far it's been painful. I don't mind losing, but this game just has me scratching my head, wanting my forty bucks back so far. Please help me like it.

Note: I'm not some COD adrenaline junky that can't think, as Civ is my favorite series of all time. I used to think it was complicated for beginners....HA!

1) The term 'allies' is not sacrosanct. If they have a claim on you they can press then they may take the opinion hit and do it now and again.

2) They are being generated back at your homelands. You have to disband and call them up again to get a portion of your regenerated troops. Two notes: 1) Your troops regen over time and 2) Disbanding on your own soil or as close as you get will ensure the max number of your current soldiers get home to be raised along with the fresh ones. Assign your marshal to a county to boose it's levy regin, certain buildings help too.
3) If you go to your personal (portrait) screen you will see on the middle left your coat of arms. Mouseover it and you'll see your next three heirs. When your current character dies the next on the list will be who you play. What determines those three depends on what succession method you have. (Check Laws)
4) Check the FAQ forum for a few. Other then that a lot of it is self-taught.

If you are really getting frustrated, you can goof around with cheats on the 'User Modifications' forum and figure stuff out.

I have trouble understanding how the technology works.
-Why has yellow stars and blue stars? What's the difference?
-I have a high level in my capital, say infantry melee weapons, which means that the soldiers there will be best. But when I close the whole army of my kingdom, soldiers will come from several counties, each with different levels of technology. How this will work in battle?

Hmm.. Good question.. Anyone ?

The stars change depending on what you are mousing over.

If you aren't mousing over a province. Yellow stars are the average tech level. Blue stars are the highest tech level. This is either in your realm, or demense depending on what you select at the top right of the tech screen.

If you are mousing over a province then only Yellow stars are shown. That is the tech of the province.

The troops of every province are tracked seperately, so they all have their own individual levels of armour, weapons etc. How that is translated into overall combat power from an army is something that is hard to tell without seeing the code.

Last edited:
Why can't I (an Earl) demand a Duchy (one of four) held by my Liege- I have 2 of the 4 counties, but that activity isn't allowed- it says he must be less than a Duke??
Image1.jpg

As far as I know, that value hasn't been exported anywhere.

Why can't I (an Earl) demand a Duchy (one of four) held by my Liege- I have 2 of the 4 counties, but that activity isn't allowed- it says he must be less than a Duke??
Image1.jpg

Answered.

does plot power % work like the fabricate claims % where its like, if you have 75% plot power with something, there is a %75 yearly chance of getting an event for that plot?

They're thresholds for which plot events trigger. So at 75% one event would trigger, while at 100% another event would trigger. Look in \crusader kings ii\decisions\plot_decisions.txt

I have a question on when the game ends:

I know the dates 1453 or something, but what other criterias are there?

• No heir
  • No countys
  • When realm becomes republic? (Please explain this one... since it happened to me just...)
  • More?

• No heir
  • No countys
  • When realm becomes republic? (Please explain this one... since it happened to me just...)
  • More?

That's it fanboy.

Thanks for the answers on the Mongol attrition, guys.

Another question: has anyone heard when 1.06c might be out?

When do women begin going infertile?

• No heir
  • No countys
  • More?

If you convert to Islam without Sword of Islam, that will end the game too.

Edit: Checked, it's 45 and is defined in \crusader kings ii\common\defines.txt
Thanks, I assume that as the woman gets closer to 45 she becomes less fertile?