• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Do fabricated casus belli's have a time limit?

What's the ideal crown authority level?

I always though the bigger the better, but it seems if I do this the realm implodes whenever it's succession time

What's the ideal crown authority level?

I prefer 'high' coupled with 'elective', as while it disallows vassals fighting eachother and perhaps overpowering one-another, it also allows you to be loved for being democratic and thus lessens the chances for revolts and let's you pick the next heir with your vassals support. This may not be the case for several kingdoms, though. With larger empires I don't see the point in going above 'high', as I've already got the manpower needed and I'd rather not waste it on killing vassals.

I'm curious as for this myself, though.

My succession law is cognatic gavelkind
My character is a duke in duchy of 4 counties. 3 land vassals : brother, nephew, non-related.
Duke is pretty old and has only 4 daughters. I understand when he dies his eldest daughter will inherit the Duchy and the only directly controlled county. She is married though and have 2 sons and 2 daughters from her husband from other dynasty. All of the children have his dynasty badge.
Does this mean that (if I don't change my succession law) when duke's daughter dies is game over ?

Three Questions:
I'm playing as the Dutchy of Holland, after 60 years I've successfully expanded my realm, but as my successional laws are Agnatic-Cognatic Gavelkind the Dutchy of Brabant which I spent the last 20 years gaining control of through claims etc has now passed to my Duke's half brother when his father died, which would be fine but his allegience seems to be to the Kaiser instead of to my Duke. Are my only options here to declare war on my half-brother or assassinate him?

Secondly: How can I possibly change my succession laws when the HRE's Crown Authority never increases, am I basically going to have to deal with this problem over and over now I've got a second Dutchy? I've contemplated declaring independance from the Empire but the HRE has a super stack of 10k and I can barely field 2k troops :(

Lastly: Is there anyway to pick a side in a civil war / plot after its started. The HRE has fractured into two halves over Crown Authority, and the faction that is at war with the Emperor is the faction my family has strong marital ties to but the game forces me to fight on the side of the Kaiser. Is there no way for me to switch sides? Whilst lowering Crown Authority is not really in my best interests game wise, in terms of story/role playing its ridiculous for my troops to be levied to put down this civil war.

How does a province culture change? For example, I have seen half of Iberia turned Andalusian after a Moorish conquest.

As long as the armies/navies are on the same tile/province/whatever then select both and there should be a little button on the army panel with two arrows pointing towards eachother.

As long as the armies/navies are on the same tile/province/whatever then select both and there should be a little button on the army panel with two arrows pointing towards eachother.
I have two irish fleets in St. Georges channel. How do I select both of them and merge them? Same for armies, I have two levies in Dublin, how do I select them and merge them?

Technology tab:

What exactly is it telling me when I click on Demesne vs. Realm? Here is what I am theorizing:

The Demesne button shows me the average value for my Demesne and the Realm button shows me the highest value in the Realm. That seems to correspond to what it says on the tab, but since I have only a county Demesne my Demesne is 1. My Realm is 3 because of the 2 holdings in my county. However, since I see different data on the Tech tab when I switch from Demesne to Realm what exactly is being included in the Realm? Since my Demesne and Realm are only one county shouldn't these values be the same, i.e. the highest == the average. Is Realm including my king's territories, as well? If so, then we seem to have multiple uses of the term 'Realm' being used.

I have two irish fleets in St. Georges channel. How do I select both of them and merge them? Same for armies, I have two levies in Dublin, how do I select them and merge them?

You should be able to click and drag a box around them to select them both. Then just find the button I described ( looks like [-> <-] and click that.

Is there a message setting that will inform when I inherit a Kingdom/Duchy/County?

I must of just spent six months of game time passing before I realised that I had inherited Galicia. I only noticed it when I went to the vassel view and noticed I had gained new vassels that I worked out my Brother had died and I had inherited his kingdom :blush:.

Is there a message setting that will inform when I inherit a Kingdom/Duchy/County?

I must of just spent six months of game time passing before I realised that I had inherited Galicia. I only noticed it when I went to the vassel view and noticed I had gained new vassels that I worked out my Brother had died and I had inherited his kingdom :blush:.

I'd love to know if there is a way to turn a notification for this on. I've gotten inheritances as well w/o any indication. This seems like an event that should rate at least a 'minor message'.

Technology tab:

What exactly is it telling me when I click on Demesne vs. Realm? Here is what I am theorizing:

The Demesne button shows me the average value for my Demesne and the Realm button shows me the highest value in the Realm. That seems to correspond to what it says on the tab, but since I have only a county Demesne my Demesne is 1. My Realm is 3 because of the 2 holdings in my county. However, since I see different data on the Tech tab when I switch from Demesne to Realm what exactly is being included in the Realm? Since my Demesne and Realm are only one county shouldn't these values be the same, i.e. the highest == the average. Is Realm including my king's territories, as well? If so, then we seem to have multiple uses of the term 'Realm' being used.

I'd like to know this as well.

On the screen where you upgrade holds, there's a grayed out "create vassal" icon. It also says "can only create barons in owned, minor baronies", yet I can't find one hold where I can use that option. What am I doing wrong?