• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The heathens nearby are actually a fairly good target. If you keep a close eye on the Emperor and declare holy wars on the same targets that he does then with careful movements you can get at a province or two before his armies arrive. I usually manage to grab Mecklenburg (and sometimes more) this way. It takes a while to get a return from pagan provinces but it can be faster than waiting to inherit something.

The other way would be to join Denmark rather than the HRE, which is a smaller realm and a bit easier to gain a power base that is strong enough to overthrow your betters.

The heathens nearby are actually a fairly good target. If you keep a close eye on the Emperor and declare holy wars on the same targets that he does then with careful movements you can get at a province or two before his armies arrive. I usually manage to grab Mecklenburg (and sometimes more) this way. It takes a while to get a return from pagan provinces but it can be faster than waiting to inherit something.

The other way would be to join Denmark rather than the HRE, which is a smaller realm and a bit easier to gain a power base that is strong enough to overthrow your betters.

Duh, I never even thought about joining the Danes. Thanks!

How do I manage which duchies the counties are assigned to? I've noticed that without careful management of some kind the de jure borders can be completely different than the actual borders.

Here's a quick question: Is there any reason why I, as the King of Ireland, Scotland, and Wales, would be unable to revoke the county title of a rebellious vassal due to Byzantine crown laws (screenshot appended below)?

nocountyrevoke.png

The countess in question is, in fact, directly subject to me (I appear as her liege in her character panel) so I'm not sure if this is a bug. I think her daughter is married to a subject of the Byzantine Empire, but I don't see why this would affect the titles in my realm.

How can I realize a kill plot? I have the plot with more than 100% but I don't see the option to realize that plot. Sometimes revoke plots appear a new decision to realize the plot, but with kill plots the option not appear =_=

How can I realize a kill plot? I have the plot with more than 100% but I don't see the option to realize that plot. Sometimes revoke plots appear a new decision to realize the plot, but with kill plots the option not appear =_=

Unfortunately, kill plots are largely waiting games. After you assemble a group of co-conspirators, you have to wait for an opening to strike your target (you'll get a pop-up message when this happens, allowing you to okay the plan or abort it at the last minute). This seems pretty random to me as I've had I plot with ~80% strength succeed within a month of instigating it and another plot with over 120% strength take the better part of my ruler's lifetime to see any results. Hope this helps.

Unfortunately, kill plots are largely waiting games. After you assemble a group of co-conspirators, you have to wait for an opening to strike your target (you'll get a pop-up message when this happens, allowing you to okay the plan or abort it at the last minute). This seems pretty random to me as I've had I plot with ~80% strength succeed within a month of instigating it and another plot with over 120% strength take the better part of my ruler's lifetime to see any results. Hope this helps.
Paradox claims the latest patch greatly increased the chance after you hit 100%. I haven't been able to check it myself.

What's a good country to start with when learning the game for the first time? I've played EU3 so I'm a little familiar with Paradox games.

Here's a quick question: Is there any reason why I, as the King of Ireland, Scotland, and Wales, would be unable to revoke the county title of a rebellious vassal due to Byzantine crown laws (screenshot appended below)?

View attachment 58004

The countess in question is, in fact, directly subject to me (I appear as her liege in her character panel) so I'm not sure if this is a bug. I think her daughter is married to a subject of the Byzantine Empire, but I don't see why this would affect the titles in my realm.

Split is a county in Croatia (unless there's another Split I'm not aware of?), which is de jure part of the Byzantine Empire, so I'd guess that's why the ERE laws apply to you.

"Fabricate claim" ambition is stuck.

I can't cancel it because "can't cancel a plot already in motion!", and i am fine with that, but in this case, the plot is to "fabricate a clain on Verona", which i succedeed.. after a war pressed ON THAT fabricated claim i got the Duchy of Verona, and gave it now to my brother.

In this process the plot didn't move, it's just stuck there. Lots of years passed, i think maybe more than 5, still that ambition doesn't move.

What am i missing?

Update: I already asked, so sorry, but it's really boring to play with ambition stuck. Plus my King isn't dying, so i am really stuck with damn ambition

I believe I had the same thing happen, and I think I know why. Did you happen to give the title to your brother without unpausing the game? I think the plot doesn't complete because you never held the title while the game was running.

Technically, you can complete the plot by taking the title back from your brother in some way, but I don't think that's what's intended.

I accidentally got rid of the popup that tells me when I can imprison people for certain plots - how do I bring it back?

Split is a county in Croatia (unless there's another Split I'm not aware of?), which is de jure part of the Byzantine Empire, so I'd guess that's why the ERE laws apply to you.

Yes, the County of Split in Croatia is the title I was having trouble with. A family member from a minor branch of my Irish dynasty inherited it and brought it into my realm. I was under the impression that crown laws applied to all counties within your realm, regardless of their individual de iure associations. Could be mistaken as I'm relatively new to CKII.

Last edited:
Your crown laws would apply to any province under your control IF there is not a higher power involved. If you are inside the de jure borders of an existing empire then the Empire authority will override yours.

Answer to a question:
To create the Francia empire, u must be king, but not king of france, nor aquitania, nor burgundy, nor brittany...

I changed it in landed title, but someone could explain me if it's just an error, or volontary?
thx

Not sure if I'm going nuts here or if there is something not quite right...
When I go to join a war in a character's screen, it comes up with the information to join his/her war, yet the information shown seems as if I'm joining AGAINST them. Surely if it says I'm joining their war I would/should be on their side, no?

EDIT:
Here is what I mean, I click to join the duke's war but its as if I'm joining against him??
2v9sn4h.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure if I'm going nuts here or if there is something not quite right...
When I go to join a war in a character's screen, it comes up with the information to join his/her war, yet the information shown seems as if I'm joining AGAINST them. Surely if it says I'm joining their war I would/should be on their side, no?

EDIT:
Here is what I mean, I click to join the duke's war but its as if I'm joining against him??
Yeah, I noticed that too. You'll enter on the right side, though. It's just the tooltip that's wrong.

What's a good country to start with when learning the game for the first time? I've played EU3 so I'm a little familiar with Paradox games.

the Duchy of Münster and the county of Dublin (both in Ireland) are good places to start until you get into the hang of the game. Keep in mind that you control a dynasty in this game, not a country like in the others. If you're feeling adventurous, then Denmark offers a lot of different options. Also, don't be afraid to start over a couple of times when things go belly-up. They easily can, until you get the hang of the game (and often even then. It's part of the fun).

I am confused. I am playing as the duke of Upper Lorraine and pressed a forged claim on and went to war with the prince-bishop of Trier. Trier is de facto a direct vassal to the HRE, but de jure part of the duchy of Lower Lorraine. The moment I peace out with the bishop (regardless who proposed) I am at war with the duke of Lower Lorraine. No warning, no message, no nothing. Worse, he anticipates this by placing a fat stack of 6k men in Trier. I really don't understand how and why he goes to war and why he can do so without dismissing his levies?