• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is he ambitious? a schemer? A persons greed can always get the best of them.
That's true. It's a nuisance really, last thing I want is my heir revolting against me since my habit is passing down the same critical, much wanted titles from heir to heir as kings and queens pass by.

My character lived for 80 odd years. I got busy with crusades and defending my new territories and allies territories from the infidels and stopped paying as much attention to the homefront as I probably should have. It wasn't until he died that I realized his grandson, Charles - my new character, had married a first cousin while the AI was in control. The AI has also seen fit to have Charles' heir, David marry a first cousin as well. Their first two children have been either slow or clubfooted.

Is there anything I can do to force the AI to stop the first cousin marriages other than not granting my heir any titles?

No the AI will marry whoever it deems fit. The chance of inbreeding (the trait) seems to be really pretty low, so marrying cousins isn't a massive problem if you also have a few generations where you add in new blood. Getting slow and clubfooted was probably more bad luck than a genetic issue.

My character lived for 80 odd years. I got busy with crusades and defending my new territories and allies territories from the infidels and stopped paying as much attention to the homefront as I probably should have. It wasn't until he died that I realized his grandson, Charles - my new character, had married a first cousin while the AI was in control. The AI has also seen fit to have Charles' heir, David marry a first cousin as well. Their first two children have been either slow or clubfooted.

Is there anything I can do to force the AI to stop the first cousin marriages other than not granting my heir any titles?

Big problem or not, check my answer to the AI marriage issue a couple of pages ago.

1.06. When a complot of yours is discovered because somebody got drunk and spoke about it... What happens? Is it not possible to finish the complot? Is it possible but more difficult? What?

Is it a good idea try to make all the dukes of my kingdom to be of my dynasty?

I'm sure you've heard it before, but it's a matter of opinion. I typically try to send all second sons and such out of the country, so that problems involving envy among the clan never work against my king. Every dukedom, after all, is a power base, and when you've got low authority or worse, an ambitious duke can begin conquering province after province. Even on higher levels of state authority you have to watch out for dukes, who bring a lot of armies to leverage. Putting a relative who isn't the future king in such a position seems unwise to me, but as above, that's just me.

1.06. When a complot of yours is discovered because somebody got drunk and spoke about it... What happens? Is it not possible to finish the complot? Is it possible but more difficult? What?

The intended victim gets a very nasty allergy to your continued existence. Imprisonment (if it hasn't already been done) and assassination become much more difficult.

- Why is it so difficult to assassinate people you have imprisoned?

- Is there any situation where you could execute people from your realm without it being seen as tyrannical?

- Why is it so difficult to assassinate people you have imprisoned?

- Is there any situation where you could execute people from your realm without it being seen as tyrannical?

1. That would sort of make it too easy to execute them "for free".

2. If you're a Muslim, you can chop-chop every man from your dynasty except your own sons.

Hey guys, I was wondering if there was a way to set free a vassal? I ended up inheriting a barony in the Byzantine empire (I'm in Aragon) and I don't want to have anything to do with it. I don't see an option to transfer vassalage to someone else.

Do I have to hand it to someone and piss him off enough that he declares independance?

Hey guys, I was wondering if there was a way to set free a vassal? I ended up inheriting a barony in the Byzantine empire (I'm in Aragon) and I don't want to have anything to do with it. I don't see an option to transfer vassalage to someone else. Do I have to hand it to someone and piss him off enough that he declares independance?

I don't think there's a way to just wilfully make a vassal independent. The feudal contract works both ways. The vassal is obligated to serve and you're obligated to protect. As far as I know, you can only transfer vassalage to your other vassals.

In addition to what Vox said, you can also execute heathens and excommunicated people without tyranny penalty. The later means that, if you have good relations with the pope, you can ask him to excommunicate your prisoner and then chop his/her head off without penalty.

I'm new to CK2, and have a couple of questions.

1.Is it parent's base skills or total skills that determine the skills their children inherit?
(I know the Guardian also plays a part.)

2. What is the probalilty that a child will inherit a parent's trait if the guardian doesn't have it? Presumably probability is doubled if both parent's have it?

3. How do I send useless/surplus sons to the church? Just nominate them as successor to a bishop? There doesn't seem to be an option to create prince bishops by granting land directly - do they have to be appointed bishops first? If so, how do I get sons into the church if I go for Papal Investiture?

Thanks in advance for replies.

I'm new to CK2, and have a couple of questions.

1.Is it parent's base skills or total skills that determine the skills their children inherit?
(I know the Guardian also plays a part.)

2. What is the probalilty that a child will inherit a parent's trait if the guardian doesn't have it? Presumably probability is doubled if both parent's have it?

3. How do I send useless/surplus sons to the church? Just nominate them as successor to a bishop? There doesn't seem to be an option to create prince bishops by granting land directly - do they have to be appointed bishops first? If so, how do I get sons into the church if I go for Papal Investiture?

Thanks in advance for replies.
1. Skills are not inherited. They are determined by the traits a person acquires in his/her life and his/her education (which in turn depends on the education / learning skill of the guardian).

2. Most traits are also not inherited. They are given to the character via events. During childhood the guardian can influence these events. AI guardians usually influence the child towards traits they themselves have. Only certain physical ("strong", "clubfooted" etc) and genetic ("genius", "inbred" etc) traits are inheritable. I'm not sure where you can find the inheritance probabilities for these though.

3. You're going to have to make them bishops one way or the other. Either you nominate them as successor to a bishopric (note that you can nominate the same person as successor to several/all bishoprics, he will then get the one that becomes vacant first), or you grant him a bishopric from your demesne. To get bishoprics to give away you have to conquer them or revoke the title from one of your bishops.

Prince-Bishops and Prince-Archbishops need to have at least one bishopric first.

I am the Tsar or Russia, one of my Vassals is the Queen of France. She has a vassal count in Rus, I have a strong claim on this county. How would I go about reacquiring this land? There is no revoke command for the count, and the county is not listed in the Queen revoke command. Would I have to revoke her entire kingdom to free this count, and then revoke from him as well?

When do the Mongols show up? I had a message in 1218 that told me about the hordes massing in the steppes, but then nothing for 10 years. It is now 1228 and nothing has happened. I thought they were coming sometime between 1210 and 1220?