• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How the hell to keep vassals happy in succession?
My very very old monarch died, the very very old heir rose to the throne hated by EVERYBODY. All except one of my vassals (heir) hated me -100. This monarch died very soon and succeeded by heir, 29, and even now half the country hates my guts. I am in a huge torrent of civil wars and can't please them since giving gift only boosts relations by +10 and the moment I release them from jail they revolt.

I've quit every CK2 game I've had so far because of this. I just can't get my succession clean. Always always I end up in very dirty civil wars that wreck my country. My demense is way over the limit (13/8) simply because I can't trust anyone to rule without stabbing me in the back.

I abandoned the save again.. Impossible to continue. I am Ireland with Wales and the same three vassals keep rebelling against me, Scotland attacks me every time the truce is over, Brittany which is ruled by my ruler's brother attacks me every time someone revolts, screw this game.

Holding more than your demesne limit makes vassals unhappy, so they will revolt more. Children don't revolt, so giving the extra titles to them gives you a few years of peace, and after that the "short reign"-penalty should have gone down a bit. If someone rebels and you've won the war, keep them in prison for a while. Imprisoned vassals can't revolt. It's normal that less-than-stellar heirs of large realms spent some time with civil war at first, but it should stop after he's won a few struggles. If you get too much at once, let some of them have their independence - you can get them back later when you are established.

Pay attention to systemic issues, i.e. if you control parts of the de jure=Duchy one of your vassals has, he will be unhappy. This is also true if a count has you as direct liege, rather than the corresponding duke. Try to have as many vassals as possible of your culture - the old, well-liked rulers can usually get their vassals children for education, so make sure they have right-cultured guardians.

I'm an independant duke and I inherit a duchy in a kingdom, will I become liege of this kingdom ?
And if I inherit a county in this kingdom ?

I've read lots of posts on inheritance but I still can't get a general rule about how land is managed when inherited...

I'm an independant duke and I inherit a duchy in a kingdom, will I become liege of this kingdom ?
And if I inherit a county in this kingdom ?

I've read lots of posts on inheritance but I still can't get a general rule about how land is managed when inherited...

No, you will not become a vassal (liege is the other part of the contract) of the kingdom if you inherit a duchy or county in it.

No, you will not become a vassal (liege is the other part of the contract) of the kingdom if you inherit a duchy or county in it.
Yep I meant vassal not liege... :wacko:

So there is no way you can become vassal of someone just by inheritance ?

EDIT : maybe just if you inherit a higher title, like if you're a count and inherit a duchy in a kingdom you become vassal ?

Yep I meant vassal not liege... :wacko:

So there is no way you can become vassal of someone just by inheritance ?

EDIT : maybe just if you inherit a higher title, like if you're a count and inherit a duchy in a kingdom you become vassal ?

That is correct. If a person inherits a higher title than his current one, he takes over the vassal-liege-relationship from the higher title. Ekyman's answer is wrong.

It is possible to use this to your advantage: I.e. if a county threatens to get lost from your kingdom through inheritance to a foreign count, promote your count to duke, and once he dies, you gain the foreign county. Of course, the other king can counter that by promoting his count, too, and thus gain county + duchy.

The thing that pisses me off a little atm is that you can't control who your sons and nephews marry. Is there a way around this? Because it's really frustrating to see them marry their cousins, which could occasionally result in retards being born. I know you can 'try' to marry them off to a courtier of yours, but unless it's your daughter they don't appear to be interested because it's "not the alliance they desired".

The thing that pisses me off a little atm is that you can't control who your sons and nephews marry. Is there a way around this? Because it's really frustrating to see them marry their cousins, which could occasionally result in retards being born. I know you can 'try' to marry them off to a courtier of yours, but unless it's your daughter they don't appear to be interested because it's "not the alliance they desired".

I'm guessing you are talking about _landed_ sons and nephews. If they just hang around your court and do not have one of their own, they just don't marry for themselves, they only marry if you make them marry. And once they are landed, they usually marry somebody too close or a random daughter of your random baron or plain nobody. Or a possessed dwarven hunchback. Which is kind of dumb. At the moment, the game allows you only give a courtier of yours as a bride. But luckily, there is a way you can arrange a foreign lady or any other good match for them. First of all, marry or betroth them BEFORE you give them land. If you have ALREADY given them land (or the nephew has inherited the title) when they are minor (I do this sometimes - it is a way give them prestige and "experience" in ruling), do this:

Save your game and quit to Main Menu. Click your save game but on the map choose your son/nephew you want to marry, not your current character. Then click Play. When your game loads, the game is paused. Do NOT unpause or your main character will usually do something stupid. Find yourself (the son or nephew) a spouse and make a marriage offer. If either one is minor, the son or the bride, it shouldn't be a problem, it just a betrothal then. Then save again, quit menu. Never unpause! Then click your new savegame (made as a son or nephew, make notice, the name if the savegame is now different because your lower title), click and then choose your main character, the daddy/mommy, again and hit play.

It is of course not guaranteed that the marriage offer is not accepted by the other half but then just do that again, find a different bride. And voila! Most of the time your son has now a decent match. (Better not try to marry a higher ranking bride or he will accept the counteroffer that makes the marriage matrilinear...) Because the game thinks the son has found a bride himself, the son doesn't argue in this case because he "wants a better alliance" or something other stupid.

Some might consider this gamey or a cheat but I have no moral qualms doing this. If you are a king and your son is a count, I find it bad design if you are impossible to find him a decent bride. So my way is only finding a solution to bad WAD...

e. Slow...

Is it possible to have the so-called lover events as female rulers? I have been trying to raise lustful daughters in my games but have never encountered the event when I have playing as them (lustful female rulers). Every lustful male ruler I have been playing has had extramarital relationships and bastards... But lustful duchesses and queens have not, just having a good time with their husbands.

It is no problem of course because having a bastard brings you with troubles with your spouse and other children but I like to roleplay and keep lovers...

Bump. Anyone know the answer? I don't want to start a thread...

How long is the Jihad/Crusade cooldown?

I think popes only call one crusade per pope. So assassinating a pope who has won a crusade can allow a new crusade to be called...at some point.

I don't know how jihads are called. They always seem to be called against Abyssinia whenever I notice them, so it's hard to pay them much mind.

Okay, I managed to save my country :) (thanks for the tips)

Next question: my son rules Brittany now, and his heir is my daughter. Okay, but I don't want to wait so I'd rather just declare war and conquer (I have claim on the whole duchy). However I can't since he is holding one of my close relatives hostage. Does this count my relatives (son and daughter) that are in his court? How could I get them back so I can attack?

Hello CK2 experts, would love some feedback on a problem i've run into.

I'm learning the game and am playing as Ireland. I just created the kingdom, set crown authority to medium and managed to stay alive for 10 years to change the sucsession laws to elelective. All my sons would make terrible, terrible rulers... but i have an uncle who would be excellent- great traits, 20 stewardship, couple of good sons.

However, when i go to nominate my heir, he does not appear in the list. He is of my dynasty (blood drop on portrait), he is currently my steward and is my father's brother. Yet he does not appear on the nominate list. Strangely, all his other brothers do!

If anyone could possibly shed any light on this, it would be much appreciated!

Hello CK2 experts, would love some feedback on a problem i've run into.

I'm learning the game and am playing as Ireland. I just created the kingdom, set crown authority to medium and managed to stay alive for 10 years to change the sucsession laws to elelective. All my sons would make terrible, terrible rulers... but i have an uncle who would be excellent- great traits, 20 stewardship, couple of good sons.

However, when i go to nominate my heir, he does not appear in the list. He is of my dynasty (blood drop on portrait), he is currently my steward and is my father's brother. Yet he does not appear on the nominate list. Strangely, all his other brothers do!

If anyone could possibly shed any light on this, it would be much appreciated!

Screenshot of the uncle would be helpful. I have some guesses, but it will be easier that way.
He could be bishop for example, that way he may not inherit.

Though, if he is not bishop, just give him some county and duchy - that way you will be able to choose him.

Last edited: