• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
a follow up to my previous question, as playing as a vassal is still fairly new to me: the HRE recently implemented medium crown authority, meaning i can no longer wage war against my fellow vassals. what is the best way to acquire territory, since sheer military might is out? if i declare independence from my liege as a countess, will i be up against the might of the whole empire? or merely my fairly weak ducal liege?

Marriage I guess is the easiest way. There will be rebellions against the Kaiser, and if the Kaiser is defeated, CA will go back to the lowest. In the mean time, focus on building up your counties.

The Duchy of Normandie should get de jure England, but you a) don't own the whole of it, or b) someone else holds the Duchy title. When you start with Williams invasion of England, one province of the de jure duchy of Normandie is part of France. It's called Vexin I believe.
You'll become english eventually. You could always tutor your heirs with an englishman if you want to speed up the process, but I've never had to wait for long myself.

So complete control will make transition possible. Thanks a lot! I see what you mean by one province missing!

Apparently my daugher of 7 years (not even my liege) managed to convince me to become English...WAD? :wacko:

Screenshot here: http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/595848883535247079/4F3AE314D7071AFB0C91A63DFA8721D893B83D00/

Depends on Normans settling in England though, unless they've changed it. I think atleast one earl must be present to kick-start the chain of events.
Which is exactly the problem in my opinion. Edward the Confessor was famous (and regarded with much suspicion) for his Norman entourage well before Hastings -- why should a single Norman earl fire off English culture? A successful Anglo-Saxon monarch could still decide to make a Norman earl of Kent because he's a favored courtier with good stats, and yet English culture should clearly not appear unless the monarch is of Norman (or Frankish) culture.

In my opinion that's what's missing from the trigger.

My queen's husband had claim on Brittany, which I then attacked and occupied. In the peace the prince consort became Brittany's duke, but remained independent. How could I transfer Brittany to my control?

My queen's husband had claim on Brittany, which I then attacked and occupied. In the peace the prince consort became Brittany's duke, but remained independent. How could I transfer Brittany to my control?

kill him, get yourself killed and your son will inherit both realms or give another claimant on brittany a holding in one of your countys and press his claim

I am Emporer of Britannia, and holder of several King-titles including Denmark and Navarre. All are on Primogeniture succession, but Denmark and Navarre are agnatic-cognatic, while the others are strictly agnatic. I've got a daugther, the next male heir is my cousin.

What I would expect to happen on the death of my ruler is that the cousin becomes my next character, Emporer and King of the other titles, why my daughter holds the crowns of Navarre and Denmark as his vassal. However, she ends up independent. Why is that? Is there a way to fix just that (ie to have King-titles lost to my character through inheritance, but staying inside the realm)?

Well, the fastest way is to assassinate all your male children but one.

Make all your other sons bishops.

Okay, guys. My fault for asking about the fastest! :) Suppose I just want to limit myself to adjusting the succession law. I suppose I don't really need primo everywhere, if anything, one of the kingdoms being gavelkind shouldn't pose a problem when others are primo (duchies will be split but the kingdom title itself will go to the oldest without regard to the oldest son already getting everything in other kingdoms under primo).

And another question:

I have a guy whom I betroth and marry to the sure heiress of two counties (old father in prison, she's in my court, so is my grandson her groom). I believe that if I manage to grant him a duchy in time, then even if his wife dies first, then their heir, being a count under my enemy (an independent superduke), will switch to my allegiance and will not somehow forgo the duchy on account of high authority? (I am actually the de iure king of that heiress's counties and of the duchy I'd grant to my grandson, each lying in two separate kingdoms held by me. I may have to introduce high authority to switch to primo. This could, ironically, make my de iure vassal counts unable to pass out of the realm of my enemy the superduke who holds their liege duchy.) I would assume this scheme to be fail-safe but I'd rather be 100% certain because I'm running out of duchies.

I am Emporer of Britannia, and holder of several King-titles including Denmark and Navarre. All are on Primogeniture succession, but Denmark and Navarre are agnatic-cognatic, while the others are strictly agnatic. I've got a daugther, the next male heir is my cousin.

My guess is because Denmark and Navarre are not in the de iure Empire of Brittannia. It's generally hard for kings to become vassals of emperors unless the kingdom is in the de iure empire.

If the cousin is unmarried or has an unmarried heir you could try and get the guy married to your daughter. Or you could employ some other shenanigan to make sure a marriage of heirs eventually takes place (no matter that a 30 years old princess will be marrying a 16 year old boy for instance, dire needs require dire solutions).

Or you could switch the empire to agnatic-cognatic. The cousin with his kingdoms within the empire would become the vassal of your daughter, I believe. You could marry the daughter to someone from your dynasty (or matrilineally to anybody), then wait for an opportunity to arrange a marriage of heirs.

"Fabricate claim" ambition is stuck.

I can't cancel it because "can't cancel a plot already in motion!", and i am fine with that, but in this case, the plot is to "fabricate a clain on Verona", which i succedeed.. after a war pressed ON THAT fabricated claim i got the Duchy of Verona, and gave it now to my brother.

In this process the plot didn't move, it's just stuck there. Lots of years passed, i think maybe more than 5, still that ambition doesn't move.

What am i missing?

"Fabricate claim" ambition is stuck.

I can't cancel it because "can't cancel a plot already in motion!", and i am fine with that, but in this case, the plot is to "fabricate a clain on Verona", which i succedeed.. after a war pressed ON THAT fabricated claim i got the Duchy of Verona, and gave it now to my brother.

In this process the plot didn't move, it's just stuck there. Lots of years passed, i think maybe more than 5, still that ambition doesn't move.

What am i missing?

I am having a similar problem. I had a plot to lower the crown authority in the HRE, however after a few years something happened (which I missed) and the crown authority was lowered to autonomous vassals, however my plot didn't go away. Eventually I executed the decision to force the emperor to lower crown authority, however he refused and I got a casus belli against him to force him to lower it. I decided that it would be a stupid idea to go to war over with the emperor to lower crown authority further then the lowest (though I am interested to know what would happen), however I can not get rid of the plot since I "can't cancel a plot already in motion!".

A few years later, the HRE is in a massive civil war, and I decided to finally get rid of the plot by force the emperor to lower crown authority, however my casus belli to do so disappeared, so now I am stuck with a plot which I can not cancel or proceed with.

I also never edited saved games before (as the solution above says), so if there really is no way to get rid of the plot in game, could someone explain how to edit save files?

Is there any mod or a simple way to weaken Sweden and Norway? I'm trying to play as Karelia and Norway and Sweden are ridiculously quick in attacking Finland (while in reality Sweden didn't come until late 12th century). I can easily win my pagan neighbors once I get some ground but Christians are just too much.

Why cant i join a war to protect a nation that my uncle will be heir of? I have to watch York get destroyed by England, even though my previous king defended it 3 times. My new king...isnt even allowed to defend it. what the heck is going on there?

Edit: It happend to Norfolk too! I fought many bloody wars against England to keep those independent and my family as heirs. Now I cant do a god damn thing to stop them from getting run over all because why? I have a new king? My family is being slaughtered and im just like...not my problem...psh... so there goes my breaking up of england by war and diplomacy..guess ill just hav to smash them the old fashioned military way.

Last edited:
Why cant i join a war to protect a nation that my uncle will be heir of? I have to watch York get destroyed by England, even though my previous king defended it 3 times. My new king...isnt even allowed to defend it. what the heck is going on there?

Edit: It happend to Norfolk too! I fought many bloody wars against England to keep those independent and my family as heirs. Now I cant do a god damn thing to stop them from getting run over all because why? I have a new king? My family is being slaughtered and im just like...not my problem...psh... so there goes my breaking up of england by war and diplomacy..guess ill just hav to smash them the old fashioned military way.

The game is basically too formal and restrictive about alliances and some common sense is lacking. If this will be any consolation, I have had to watch my sons fight, as well as my son being attacked and defeated by some vassal. All this without the ability to help, even in the latter case, when both my son and that vassal were my vassals. Because vassals can't call lieges and lieges can't join vassals.

In fact you can't join e.g. a holy war waged by your vassal outside the realm.

How the hell to keep vassals happy in succession?
My very very old monarch died, the very very old heir rose to the throne hated by EVERYBODY. All except one of my vassals (heir) hated me -100. This monarch died very soon and succeeded by heir, 29, and even now half the country hates my guts. I am in a huge torrent of civil wars and can't please them since giving gift only boosts relations by +10 and the moment I release them from jail they revolt.

I've quit every CK2 game I've had so far because of this. I just can't get my succession clean. Always always I end up in very dirty civil wars that wreck my country. My demense is way over the limit (13/8) simply because I can't trust anyone to rule without stabbing me in the back.

I abandoned the save again.. Impossible to continue. I am Ireland with Wales and the same three vassals keep rebelling against me, Scotland attacks me every time the truce is over, Brittany which is ruled by my ruler's brother attacks me every time someone revolts, screw this game.

Last edited:
How the hell to keep vassals happy in succession?
My very very old monarch died, the very very old heir rose to the throne hated by EVERYBODY. All except one of my vassals (heir) hated me -100. This monarch died very soon and succeeded by heir, 29, and even now half the country hates my guts. I am in a huge torrent of civil wars and can't please them since giving gift only boosts relations by +10 and the moment I release them from jail they revolt.

I've quit every CK2 game I've had so far because of this. I just can't get my succession clean. Always always I end up in very dirty civil wars that wreck my country. My demense is way over the limit (13/8) simply because I can't trust anyone to rule without stabbing me in the back.

I abandoned the save again.. Impossible to continue. I am Ireland with Wales and the same three vassals keep rebelling against me, Scotland attacks me every time the truce is over, Brittany which is ruled by my ruler's brother attacks me every time someone revolts, screw this game.
Always check why they hate you in the tooltip.
In the example you give, a big part of the relations penalty is you being over the demesne limit. I know it hurts, but give away holdings over the limit.
See if you are holding too many duchy titles as well, especially if you have elective succession.
Maybe some count is your direct vassal, but should belong to a duke of yours. Dukes don't like that.
Try to educate your heirs yourself and get as many good traits for them as possible.
Always have a (landless) prisoner on hand to release on succession.
What are your feudal laws? Not crown authority, but rather the laws concerning feudal taxation and levies. If they are very high, consider lowering them. You'll have less money/troops for a while, but you can change them again five years later, when things have calmed down.
In general, treat your vassals nicely. Seriously, I can't stress this enough. If you rule with an iron fist and attempt to control everything it's no wonder they revolt.

Having lots of duchies seems to be my main problem (whopping -40 relations to vassals). I thought it was a good thing to create duchies as I conquered stuff but I guess I should keep my title list short.

Most of my laws are Medium.

Having lots of duchies seems to be my main problem (whopping -40 relations to vassals). I thought it was a good thing to create duchies as I conquered stuff but I guess I should keep my title list short.

Most of my laws are Medium.
Yeah, if you really don't want to give duchy titles to your vassals you should be careful with creating them. You can only hold two duchy titles without penalty as a king.

And even lowering a law from medium to low gives a little bit better relations. Which can be the deciding factor between quiet vassals and revolting ones.