• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Why are assassinations almost univerally impossible? Most of mine are around 12% possibility of success, as low as 5% against rulers, and never higher than 30%. Do I just suck?
When I'm about to kill someone I place my spymaster in the province where the target is located and let him build a spy network for a short while before I attempt an assassination, but it's still a fairly low chance. I think it also scales/modifies with how good your spymaster is (can anyone confirm?).

I think it weights your total INT vs. target's total INT.

And: Its quite cheap in vanilla anyway. If you want safer bets to kill someone, use the plot if you can. :)

- Is there a ranking ingame with the current score of every house? I havent found anything in the ledger... :(

- What are "great dynasties" ingame? The one with the biggest prestige? biggest lands?

- Does someone know how to get these CoAs bigger? They are so tiny with my resolution :(

Last edited:
When I'm about to kill someone I place my spymaster in the province where the target is located and let him build a spy network for a short while before I attempt an assassination, but it's still a fairly low chance. I think it also scales/modifies with how good your spymaster is (can anyone confirm?).

In fact, I don't even think you need to wait. The moment your spymaster is sent to the province, the assasination bonus is already in effect. Which makes it extremely useful for killing off someone who is leading troops somewhere.

And yea, like GAGA Extrem mentions, I believe it does compare your state intrigue to your target's state intrigue. Which is why a 20+ intrigue spymaster is priceless :)

hi, 2 questions,
1 when you mobliese you armies and your vassals armies there are two buttons one says realm and the other vassel troops, whats the difference please.
2 could someone please in simple terms explain the different crown authority laws. ie, as king of england my vassels after awhile all end up as dukes and then become independant, can i stop this with crown authority, please.

many thanks.

hi, 2 questions,
1 when you mobliese you armies and your vassals armies there are two buttons one says realm and the other vassel troops, whats the difference please.
2 could someone please in simple terms explain the different crown authority laws. ie, as king of england my vassels after awhile all end up as dukes and then become independant, can i stop this with crown authority, please.

many thanks.

1. vassal armies = only troops from your direct vassals (including baronies, bishops and mayors)
realm armies = troops from your direct vassals and their vassals too

2. the difference for the crown laws are in the tooltips that appear when you hover your cursor over the laws in the laws menu. To my limited knowledge, i think your vassals became dukes by whacking fellow counts in the same de jure duchies, then creating the duchies. So if you wanna prevent that, you need high/absolute crown crown authority (can't remember which one :( )

Crown laws don't always appear in your games depending on who you're playing as. I'm not sure to even see the tooltips as say Apulia where you fall under Byzantine crown law.

I'm curious how alliances work. In a game I was just playing we had a grand holy war vs the Pechenegs and Rostov and Hungary and the HRE were all beating the crap out of them. When the white peace was signed Rostov/Hungary split them up 50/50 and HRE got nothing even though they controlled most of the territory (3 counties to Hungaries 1 and Rostovs 3) Yet at the end it was HRE 0 Hungary 4 Rostov 4. I'm assuming HRE got called in as an ally to Hungary and so Hungary got to keep their territories? Do you need a valid CB in order to keep territory gained or is just being an ally enough?

Question:

Menu character (last menu at the right) - here u can see all characters... but when i set "empire" or "vassals", i didn´t see my chancellor for example (one mayor doesn´t appear too). Why did he not appear there?

Filter "empire" or "vassals" shows same results.

Hello everybody,

i have three questions to this amazing game; playing the Duke of Gwynedd (version 1.03 KUMH):

1) My chancellor (level 10) stands for years in the neighbouring countries; but i get now claim for them. Whats wrong with this?

2) Why do i have always to demobilise my troops, before i can declare war to someone (get the claim via cheats, because the cancellor-trick does not work). If i mobilise my troops and go then the diplo-menue, th option for declaring war is greyed out? (Happened to my in my previous game playing the Duke of Munster too)

3) Finally i conquered a country (get the claim via cheats), always a message pops up saying that i will lose this title on sucession; how to prevent this? (gavelking problem maybe?)

Thnaks for your answers in advance

1) My chancellor (level 10) stands for years in the neighbouring countries; but i get now claim for them. Whats wrong with this?

You have a chance of 10 %, that's all. It's usually enough for everybody, there is no need to cheat.

2) Why do i have always to demobilise my troops, before i can declare war to someone (get the claim via cheats, because the cancellor-trick does not work). If i mobilise my troops and go then the diplo-menue, th option for declaring war is greyed out? (Happened to my in my previous game playing the Duke of Munster too)

I guess it's a cheat protection and it is also historically correct. In the middle age there were no standing armies.

Even if you could declare of war, it's always better to have demobilise your troops. If you raise them, you will have 100 % of their strenght.

3) Finally i conquered a country (get the claim via cheats), always a message pops up saying that i will lose this title on sucession; how to prevent this? (gavelking problem maybe?)

You can prevent this via title revocation, more crown authority or proper marriage politics.

Crown laws don't always appear in your games depending on who you're playing as. I'm not sure to even see the tooltips as say Apulia where you fall under Byzantine crown law.

I'm curious how alliances work. In a game I was just playing we had a grand holy war vs the Pechenegs and Rostov and Hungary and the HRE were all beating the crap out of them. When the white peace was signed Rostov/Hungary split them up 50/50 and HRE got nothing even though they controlled most of the territory (3 counties to Hungaries 1 and Rostovs 3) Yet at the end it was HRE 0 Hungary 4 Rostov 4. I'm assuming HRE got called in as an ally to Hungary and so Hungary got to keep their territories? Do you need a valid CB in order to keep territory gained or is just being an ally enough?

I believe that as an ally being called into war, you don't get to keep any territory. Any holding you successfully seige just helps in your ally's warscore.

As for the grand alliance vs pechenegs you just described, I believe that Rostov and Hungary declared a holy war each for difference de juries, so when each of them wins, they get different provinces. HRE probably got nothing due to the reason you suggested.

Hello everybody,

i have three questions to this amazing game; playing the Duke of Gwynedd (version 1.03 KUMH):

Thnaks for your answers in advance

1) Sometimes it does take a long time, sometimes it is very quick. Sometimes you are unlucky.

2) It's to prevent you blitzing your enemy before they can respond. For instance, when attacking a character with several provinces, you could arrange to attack so that their armies could never unite. This would be unfair and make invading too easy.

3) You probably have Gavelkind succession and the county will go to your second son. Since you're a Duke he'll be your vassal so it's not terrible, but if you want to prevent it then you need to change your succession law. As a small independent duchy I expect that won't be too hard. Failing that, you need to eliminate all but one son.

What is the most efficient way to make your vassals happy?
Is the best way just to not make decisions that make them angry or are there ways that raises all of my vassals opinion?

I'm not sure about the most efficient way, but having good virtues (eg diligent, kind etc) and free investiure help quite a bit.

hi, sorry another question, i want to up my crown authority, in the hover over tool tip legalism 2 has a red cross next to it, how do i get to legalism 2 please.

hi, sorry another question, i want to up my crown authority, in the hover over tool tip legalism 2 has a red cross next to it, how do i get to legalism 2 please.

It is the bottom technology on the cultural list in the technology tab. You can click on it in order to focus on it, and you can send your court chaplain to research cultural tech for an increased chance of breakthroughs, but essentially you have to wait for the technology to come along.

Should one aim to have as large as possible demesne limit without over going the limit, or constantly hand out titles/

Also, do individual holdings within a province contribute to the demesne size?

One Question:

I started a game in 1337. But 100 years are very short. What can I do to play 100 years longer?

To change the end_date in the defines.txt is not enough?

No it is not. The game is programmed to end by this date. Even if you did manage to extend the end date other features would stop working. Technology for instance is calculated as a percentage increase per year in reference to an historical date. I haven't looked into it for CKII specifically, but in the other Paradox titles extending the end date took some fairly involved modding.

Should one aim to have as large as possible demesne limit without over going the limit, or constantly hand out titles/

Demesne is determined by the amount of baronies, cities and bishoprics one holds. So yes, if you hold both the county seat and a city, that will take 2 points of demesne.
I tend to set a goal early in the game and pick one or two Duchies that I would like to hold. The more land you control personally, the more income and levy strength you can wield relative to your vassals. Being stronger than your vassals makes for a much easier game. Pick counties within the De Jure borders of one or two Duchies of which you will hold the titles to avoid relationship penalties.
Do avoid hitting the penalties as they impact both tax income and relationships to vassals. Various nasty events will also start to happen once you are over-extende

Firstly, every holding be it a city, barony or bishopric contributes to a demense size. Counts are Counts by virtue of controlling the capital of a county which happens to be a barony.

Secondly, my feel is that in the short term, you could aim for as many counties as possible, holding only the main barony of each county, while developing only a select baronies that you want to keep forever. Then in the long term, build more baronies in your core counties while giving away your less developed counties. Ideally, if you have 3 well developed baronies in 1 county, you are gonna have massive income and troops from just that one county by parking your marshal and steward there.

And in both case, go over your demense limit only if your vassals still like you enough for doing so.