• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
somerandomdude, I think the centre of the map would be Rome. All roads do lead there after all. :)

As for claiming duchies on behalf of other people, they won't automatically become your vassal unless the prospective duke is either a member of your dynasty or would be your de jure vassal. For example if you're playing as the king of Scotland and press your brother's claim on the duchy of Northumberland then he'll become your vassal (and part of Scotland) should you win, whereas if you claim the duchy for a random Saxon exile in your court then Northumberland will become independent because he's neither a member of your dynasty nor a de jure vassal of Scotland.

You're right! No prestige was lost for losing any of those wars (all crown laws were reset to minimal though) , in the end I lost over half of the byzantines, I'm trying to get rid of that bloody emperor title now (while keeping my old lands) , any good ways to do this?
(It's really stupid how all those newly independent dukes get destroyed one by one by the caliphate, they should've used a 'depose liege' cassus belli instead)

Ps: after my 2 year old came of age he died in battle about a year later, splitting his lands between his 3 sisters (gavelkind)I assassinated one for her lands but it's still annoying

All in all this is really fun :D

Yeah, change to elective succession and nominate someone not of your dynasty. A dynastic heir should still inherit the lower titles (even if lower titles are a mix of various succession laws... they always goes to the same heir in this case lol).

A lot of people are saying that your primary title is just fluff, and to choose the color one likes best. This directly contradicts my personal experience with changing my primary title. It seems to change a lot of things, which seems to be based on what the crown laws are/were under each title, but there seems to be much more to it, including an interaction with where my capital is placed. Could anyone educate me a little bit more about primary titles? (On a King-level that is)

It is mostly fluff. Changing primary titles can change your inheritance if your primary is elective and a non dynastic heir is chosen for that title (then all the non elective titles will proceed normally). If you use an elective title and the rest are non elective but you choose an heir in your dynasty, I believe that heir inherits everything.

As for crown laws, they exist separately of primary titles. Regardless of what primary title you use, you have to set crown laws for each kingdom separately.

1. Where is the geographical center of the map? I have everything to the left from a line drawn from England to modern Iran territory and those territories in Iran always want to revolt. My current capital is in Venice.

2. How can I check the -opinion penalty for distance? It doesnt show as a number, a duke with +10 opinion has 5% to revolt cuz hes too far away.

3. How exactly pressing someone else's claim works? Every time I press a duchy claim successfully it becomes independent, even though I am a king. In peace conditions it says something like:
"-gain 100 prestige
-*claim holder* gains duchy of blabla
-*claim holder* gains county of blablabla
-*claim holder*: *me, king* becomes a new liege"
but when I press it he just goes independent. This works fine with counties though, but taking 1 county at a time from Byzantine empire feels so slow...

4. Same as 3 but with invasion. Sometimes I get everything, like whole France with every single county there, the dukes become my vassals (or I get everything from them too, not sure, but I control whole territory). Sometimes I get only the land and titles the invaded king held, rest becomes independent. Whats up with that?

5. Whats the best way to conquer a huge orthodox empire? Cant invade it =(

6. My children often get rejected with "desires a better alliance" reason when I try to marry them. I got like 400k men I can raise total, with my personal 40k, how can I make my kingdom more attractive to marry into?

Go to the intrigue screen and hover over the revolt risk % display. It will show all the factors.

With an invasion, any holding that you occupy goes directly to you. So take over the whole damn place before you press your victory!

As for desires better alliance, as far as I can tell it also means "no way, you're just marrying her so you can press her claim and I'm damn scared of you!"

Go to the intrigue screen and hover over the revolt risk % display. It will show all the factors.

With an invasion, any holding that you occupy goes directly to you. So take over the whole damn place before you press your victory!

As for desires better alliance, as far as I can tell it also means "no way, you're just marrying her so you can press her claim and I'm damn scared of you!"

This definitely explains why my Rus empire with 600 holdings cannot marry ANYONE anymore. The best that pop up that are willing to accept are counts and courtiers :(

This definitely explains why my Rus empire with 600 holdings cannot marry ANYONE anymore. The best that pop up that are willing to accept are counts and courtiers :(

I know eh? It's annoying. Although warranted, I suppose, whenever my Jimenas married a princess, it seemed her son took the throne the next generation XD Inheritable claims are gone now, but it was quite fun.

I was adjusting Message settings and notices the different tiers at the top that allowing you to adjust messages based on whether the event pertains to you or someone else. The question I have is how do you set up a character as "special interest"? Is that determined by the game and what ties you have to certain characters or is there a way to set that yourself?

I was adjusting Message settings and notices the different tiers at the top that allowing you to adjust messages based on whether the event pertains to you or someone else. The question I have is how do you set up a character as "special interest"? Is that determined by the game and what ties you have to certain characters or is there a way to set that yourself?

Right click their face. Some options will pop out, one is a star. Click it to mark/unmark them as special interest.

Honestly I don't know why they hid this like that, with so many references to characters of special interest but making it practically impossible to find. It's one of the most common questions I've seen asked.

If I build an extra castle in my holding should I keep it for myself or create a vassal for it?

You should never give away a settlement in your counties unless it's for reasons related to the demesne limit. There's no utility in it. Even with wrong-government type holdings, you shouldn't just give them away if you're under your demesne limit. A city will give you only 50% of its taxes as a result of being held by a feudal lord, but as one of your holdings, you're entitled to its entire levy. So it's still advantageous for you to keep holdings for yourself, when you can.

This is awesome, thanks. Now I can occupy only key counties so that I have 50% of each duchy after successful invasion. Then when "raised levies" timer settles down one quick big war with several counts and the rest of the territory is mine. Not to mention the prestige I get from usurping duke titles and the opportunity to appoint owners of the territory myself after I capture it, not some random foreign culture vassal dukes who may or may not be ambitious/envious.

Still this:
5. Whats the best way to conquer a huge orthodox empire? Cant invade it =(
They dont want to marry my heirs. I've tried to split it up into duchies to be able to declare war on several of them at same time, tried to assassinate rulers there until they got like 2 years old imbecile child as emperor, but he still managed to hold the empire together.
Any other ideas?

When you reach the end date, is there a different ending/wrap-up of your dynasties reign different from choosing the retire option?

Scenario: I started as Matilda, took over the HRE, converted much of Germany to Italian Counts on up, Hungary, Spain, North Africa, Jerusalem, Norway, parts of Poland. It's the year 1328, the Di Canossa dynasty has almost 10,000 prestige and at last count there are 13 different Kings/Queens and a collection of 30 or so powerful Dukes as vassals.

I already consider this game a total victory from the goal of creating Italy and over achieved. Will I miss out if I do not let time advance until the end date on some special summary, cinematic or is it just a splash screen announcing the end of the game and goes into the same score summary as the retire option?

I really want to get into a new game provided I don't "miss" anything.

Edit: Last played 4/28, I am picking up where I left off and itching to try the Game of Thrones mod before the Sword of Islam but I've never actually seen a game through until the end date or end of a dynasty. It's only my second real game and have a lot of hours micro managing it to start over without checking!

If I appoint a chaplain who is of a different religion than my character and I send him to convert my capital, is there a chance my character will convert to his religion?

Kind of a silly question, but how do you not go snowblind playing as anything within the HRE? It's painful. And even your vassals are not delineated on the map.

Oh..and to add...do I ever get to have a vote for or "favor" the next Emperor. I see messages pop up all the time about someone else but see no means of giving such a vote myself. Seems like it needs an interface like in EU, unless I'm just missing it.

Last edited:
Oh..and to add...do I ever get to have a vote for or "favor" the next Emperor. I see messages pop up all the time about someone else but see no means of giving such a vote myself. Seems like it needs an interface like in EU, unless I'm just missing it.
Go to the laws tab, to the HRE's succession thing. That is where you elect, but only certain vassals can. I'm not sure if its all Kings and Dukes or what, but you should be able to nominate your favored anyone if you are an elector.

Only dukes and kings who are de jure part of the HRE can vote. So, no Italy or Burgundy.
Ah, I see. Well, the capital of HRE is Lombardia in my game so fortunately I'm able to vote.