• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The game ends when you lose your last holding OR die without heirs. So I would imagine that this situation would end your game. You may still have heirs, possibly this back-stabbing brother, but since you lost your last holding, you are done.

If you're brother is your heir then you will switch to him, Unless he is not dynastic.

Question:

Holding a ducal title but having de iure counties comprising that duchy outside of its control is a valid Casus Belli. Why doesn't it work that way for de iure Kingdoms?

I have always thought that it did. I have formed five Kingdoms in my current game, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Portugal, & Galacia. Each time I have received the De Jure Claims for the other counties to complete the country.

The location of your capital has no effect on your culture. Most of your vassals will be within the Byzantine Empire, so I recommend placing your capital somewhere centralized within there, to keep as many happy as possible.

well, here's the result :'(
CkdOp.jpg

inherited as a 2 year old, I see no chance of redeeming myself after these rebellions, game over

Last edited:
I'm really confused about inheritance laws and i think i betrothed my kids into a trap..

I am a Duke of Meath and my first son is betrothed, non-matrilineally, to the Countess of Eu who is still a minor and whose liege is the King of France
Does that mean once my son comes of age and marries the countess, the county comes under my banner since my son becomes the Count of Eu and he is my vassal?
Or does he become a vassal of France automatically?

My second son is similarly betrothed, non-matrilineally, to the Princess of Holland who, as of now, is due to inherit the Duchy of Holland.
Does that mean once my second son comes of age he becomes a duke whose liege is the Kaiser, since as a duke he cannot swear fealty to another duke?
But what happens if before his betrothal becomes a marriage, I proclaim myself King of Ireland?
Would that split the Duchy of Holland off of the HRE and become a part of my realm?

I'm really confused about inheritance laws and i think i betrothed my kids into a trap..

I am a Duke of Meath and my first son is betrothed, non-matrilineally, to the Countess of Eu who is still a minor and whose liege is the King of France
Does that mean once my son comes of age and marries the countess, the county comes under my banner since my son becomes the Count of Eu and he is my vassal?
Or does he become a vassal of France automatically?

My second son is similarly betrothed, non-matrilineally, to the Princess of Holland who, as of now, is due to inherit the Duchy of Holland.
Does that mean once my second son comes of age he becomes a duke whose liege is the Kaiser, since as a duke he cannot swear fealty to another duke?
But what happens if before his betrothal becomes a marriage, I proclaim myself King of Ireland?
Would that split the Duchy of Holland off of the HRE and become a part of my realm?

In both of these cases, your son won't actually be the count/duke in power, that will still be his wife. When your son inherits Meath, he will be the independent, while his wife will be a vassal of France, and no land will change hands. Assuming that Eu and Meath have the same heir and low enough Crown Authority, your grandson, and by extension Meath might become a vassal of France. If he has land in Meath or becomes Duke of Meath first, Eu will go to him and he Meath will be independent. If he inherits Eu before he gets land in Meath, Meath will become a vassal of France when he inherits the duchy. If you become King if Ireland, then it doesn't matter which he inherits first because a King can't be a vassal of a king.

The situation with your second son is the same. Nothing will happen when he marries the Duchess, but his when his son inherits it depends on if he owns land elsewhere. Becoming King won't help with the HRE, because Kings can be vassals of Emperors.

Few more questions:

- Reinforcements, are they in this game like they were in EU3? I never notice my armies regenerating? If it does happen is there a way to see the stats of it happening like there was in EU3?

- Bishops.... I have noticed that all my churches in my counties give me 0% levies? Even though I have the Church Levies laws at Max? I also notice that they never pay me any tax even though I have Church Tax at max? Whats up? Whats the point of raising these laws if they don't apply somehow anyway?

- Which leads me onto my other question/rant... Why is it that my vassals are allowed to break the law scot free? Surely if the law says "You must provide x amont of levies" then that is the law. If they provide less then I should be able to arrest them in my opinion. Not saying I would cause I don't want lots of angry vassals, but the option should be there since they are in fact breaking the law if they provide anything less. It should be that they weight up their opinion of me with the risks of breaking the law and then decide how many levies to provide, or how much tax to pay.

It also annoys me that no one is kissing my ass... I'm the damn King, they should be trying to get into my good books, not the other way round lol.

- Mercs, Unless I'm wrong, there are only like 10 bands of mercs in the whole game right? Is this how it's ment to be? I would have thought there would be a bit more than that in the whole of Europe?

- I sometimes get messages saying that one of my Vassals has changed a law, like Church levies or something. I then panic and check my laws screen but nothing has changed? Does this mean that they are simply changing the laws for their own vassals? If this is the case, then why do they get to vote and stop me from passing my own laws?

Thanks in advance.

Thank you so much for that extensive reply.
Feudalism is such a trip...

*edit*
does that mean now i have some pressure to hurry up and become King in this generation (or my sons' generation, i'm not sure) so I avoid some of Ireland becoming French?

Neither of my sons are landed at the moment. They are barely toddlers.
But depending on the speed of my expansion i might not have titles with which to land them before they come of age...

Last edited:
well, here's the result :'(
inherited as a 2 year old, I see no chance of redeeming myself after these rebellions, game over

Judging by the number of wars, those are independence wars. Losing to them has no real effect on your dynasty, and you can conquer them back one by one after you become an adult - assuming that you lose to them in the first place, which isn't a given.

What's the difference between personal score and dynasty score? My score in the upper right corner only goes up when the character I play dies, and when I resign, the score that shows up there is the same as the upper right corner score.

Every child born to your dynasty is born with an amount of prestige equal to 10% of your dynasty score. Therefore, having more dynastic prestige makes your rulers more prestigious (ie - it will help increase your personal score).

It also makes your family more desirable to marry into, and you will be able to marry better as your dynasty prestige increases. For instance, the Rurikovich family starts the game with a lot of dynastic pretige (~3000, IIRC) and therefore any Rurikovich has a -3 modifier (or so) to marriages with people from new-ish dynasties (low dynastic prestige). Therefore, trying to obtain the Russian duchies through marriage is basically impossible, until you've built up your own dynastic prestige - regardless of your personal score, which is worthless in-game. Once you start getting a bit, you'll start getting +3 modifiers to people wanting to marry you. It still doesn't overcome "Desires a Better Alliance" or "Too High in the Line of Succession", but it will let you marry pretty much anyone else.

Due to the way I expanded, I couldn't keep much more than Ireland, Scotland and Andalusia under my direct control without getting annoying revolts. I am starting to expand into England, which I think will be safe.

Yeah, if you're only in the Isles and the Peninsula, you shouldn't have a massive distance penalty, so you should be alright with realm stability.

A lot of people are saying that your primary title is just fluff, and to choose the color one likes best. This directly contradicts my personal experience with changing my primary title. It seems to change a lot of things, which seems to be based on what the crown laws are/were under each title, but there seems to be much more to it, including an interaction with where my capital is placed. Could anyone educate me a little bit more about primary titles? (On a King-level that is)

Few more questions:

- Reinforcements, are they in this game like they were in EU3? I never notice my armies regenerating? If it does happen is there a way to see the stats of it happening like there was in EU3?

- Bishops.... I have noticed that all my churches in my counties give me 0% levies? Even though I have the Church Levies laws at Max? I also notice that they never pay me any tax even though I have Church Tax at max? Whats up? Whats the point of raising these laws if they don't apply somehow anyway?

- Which leads me onto my other question/rant... Why is it that my vassals are allowed to break the law scot free? Surely if the law says "You must provide x amont of levies" then that is the law. If they provide less then I should be able to arrest them in my opinion. Not saying I would cause I don't want lots of angry vassals, but the option should be there since they are in fact breaking the law if they provide anything less. It should be that they weight up their opinion of me with the risks of breaking the law and then decide how many levies to provide, or how much tax to pay.

It also annoys me that no one is kissing my ass... I'm the damn King, they should be trying to get into my good books, not the other way round lol.

- Mercs, Unless I'm wrong, there are only like 10 bands of mercs in the whole game right? Is this how it's ment to be? I would have thought there would be a bit more than that in the whole of Europe?

- I sometimes get messages saying that one of my Vassals has changed a law, like Church levies or something. I then panic and check my laws screen but nothing has changed? Does this mean that they are simply changing the laws for their own vassals? If this is the case, then why do they get to vote and stop me from passing my own laws?

Thanks in advance.

- There are no reinforcements in this game. What you can do is to march your forces into 'home' territory and then send the soldiers home. Then you immediatly raise a new army which will include all survivors from the old army + any new levies.

- In order to make your Bishops pay their taxes and provide their levies to you they have to like you more then the Pope. This can be tricky if you have bad traits or there is a Pope with good stats.

- Vassals are obliged to provide a certain amount of troops to their Liege but if they dislike him/her the amount of troops provided will be lesser as a result.

- Being King in the days of CK II where by no means easy and was more about keeping sqabbling Nobels together (by kissing ass) then to force them to accept you as their supreme Ruler. Actually I think it´s way to easy to change things like Crown Laws in the game as it wasn´t until the 17th Century that any Nation could be said to have 'Absolute Crown Law' and here you can get in no time.

- On Mercs you only see the (Catholic) ones. There are also Orthodox, Muslim and different Pagan Mercs I think.

-Vassals can change their own laws and just like you said it only applies to their Vassals (who gets to vote on it too ofcourse). The reason why your Vassals get to vote on your law changes is because they are ... well your Vassals :)

- There are no reinforcements in this game. What you can do is to march your forces into 'home' territory and then send the soldiers home. Then you immediatly raise a new army which will include all survivors from the old army + any new levies.

Ah ok good to know, lol I wont waste time sitting an army in a friendly county again lol.

- In order to make your Bishops pay their taxes and provide their levies to you they have to like you more then the Pope. This can be tricky if you have bad traits or there is a Pope with good stats.

I thought that if you change the law thingy to free it means you are their Pope? Or is this not the case, what does that law do then?

Does this also mean that if they like the Pope more, they will raise levies for him etc?

- Vassals are obliged to provide a certain amount of troops to their Liege but if they dislike him/her the amount of troops provided will be lesser as a result.

Yeah I know how it works, I just think that if they break the law (the law which they voted for as well lol) then there should be a consequence for that, I have read that in history if a vassal didn't provide the required levies they had to pay an extra tax (it has a name, I've just forgotten). Something like that, or the right to imprison (which you would have to think hard about if its worth doing or not).

- Being King in the days of CK II where by no means easy and was more about keeping sqabbling Nobels together (by kissing ass) then to force them to accept you as their supreme Ruler. Actually I think it´s way to easy to change things like Crown Laws in the game as it wasn´t until the 17th Century that any Nation could be said to have 'Absolute Crown Law' and here you can get in no time.

Yeah I understand that, I don't want it to be completely the other way, but I have never seen any thing in game where a vassal tries to get in the Kings good book. When surely one of the avenues for advancement would be to smooth talk the King? Not saying it should be the only way, but at least one way. I know that I personally promote those I like more than those I don't lol as I like to roleplay the character fully.

- On Mercs you only see the (Catholic) ones. There are also Orthodox, Muslim and different Pagan Mercs I think.

Ah ok. Still should be more I think haha, sometimes I run out.

-Vassals can change their own laws and just like you said it only applies to their Vassals (who gets to vote on it too ofcourse). The reason why your Vassals get to vote on your law changes is because they are ... well your Vassals :)

Yeah, but I'm talking about my Dukes etc, so they are my direct vassal but none of the laws apply to them apparently. If they don't apply then why should they get to vote lol? I can understand them voting on the Crown Authority and the Feudal Laws, but the City and Church laws are none of their business lol (and are often the hardest to change lol).

Judging by the number of wars, those are independence wars. Losing to them has no real effect on your dynasty, and you can conquer them back one by one after you become an adult - assuming that you lose to them in the first place, which isn't a given.
You're right! No prestige was lost for losing any of those wars (all crown laws were reset to minimal though) , in the end I lost over half of the byzantines, I'm trying to get rid of that bloody emperor title now (while keeping my old lands) , any good ways to do this?
(It's really stupid how all those newly independent dukes get destroyed one by one by the caliphate, they should've used a 'depose liege' cassus belli instead)

Ps: after my 2 year old came of age he died in battle about a year later, splitting his lands between his 3 sisters (gavelkind)I assassinated one for her lands but it's still annoying

All in all this is really fun :D

controlling vassal inheritance laws

So I'm playing as one of the Russian duke families, and I formed the kingdom of Rus, and have expanded it hugely over the past 200 years. I've noticed that even within the de jure areas of Rus my vassals are able to establish their own inheritance laws in their duchies. What I want, is to move the kingdom to medium crown authority, and somehow force all the duchies in the kingdom into gavelkind succession so I can prevent the formation of superdukes. Unfortunately, many of these duchies currently have primogeniture, and I don't know if its possible to control it anymore? How would I go about changing it at this point?

So I'm playing as one of the Russian duke families, and I formed the kingdom of Rus, and have expanded it hugely over the past 200 years. I've noticed that even within the de jure areas of Rus my vassals are able to establish their own inheritance laws in their duchies. What I want, is to move the kingdom to medium crown authority, and somehow force all the duchies in the kingdom into gavelkind succession so I can prevent the formation of superdukes. Unfortunately, many of these duchies currently have primogeniture, and I don't know if its possible to control it anymore? How would I go about changing it at this point?

Well, if we're lucky, when the new "Destroy Duchy" feature comes out, it will revert any destroyed duchy's succession law to their default succession law - which is usually gavelkind.

Otherwise, all you can really do is revoke the duchies from their rulers, change their succession law to gavelkind, and then hand them back out...
You'll want to keep your chancellor busy fabricating claims on the duchies, so you don't take a tyranny hit for the revocation. And there's nothing stopping the AI from changing the law to Elective or Seniority, once they get them back again.

In most areas, the best thing you can possibly do is make sure crown authority never gets to high, so the AI can't institute primogeniture in the first place. It would be nice if there was a plot for a liege to change succession law, but there's altogether far too little a liege can do when it comes to affecting his vassals in this game.

Three quick questions:

1) I'm playing as a Komnenos Duke who has murdered his way into the rest of the family's land, so I have about four duchies, eight provinces, and a decent amount of money coming in. How do I get the imperial title? Two of my brothers have non-matri marriages to Doukas princesses - but any claims pressing would be doomed to failure, no? I've never worked my way up from inside a kingdom, so any advise would be great!

2) How do you deal with the bigger powers as a smaller kingdom? I'm Leon, essentially own all of Iberia minus Barca/Aragon - just as I struck the death-blow to Islam in Iberia, France sneaks in and takes the Barca coast - infuriating. They drop 18k stacks without blinking, I can muster 8 at tops, so military isn't an option. Any tips?

3) Is there any point to giving titles to holy orders? Do you get any perks out of it?

2) How do you deal with the bigger powers as a smaller kingdom? I'm Leon, essentially own all of Iberia minus Barca/Aragon - just as I struck the death-blow to Islam in Iberia, France sneaks in and takes the Barca coast - infuriating. They drop 18k stacks without blinking, I can muster 8 at tops, so military isn't an option. Any tips?

Basically by mortgaging your future and paying for mercenaries, and having really good allies.

Or being patient enough to wait until they're being drained by a war. France sadly doesn't but heads with the HRE as much as one would like.

Hi, I recently started playing and so far I'm enjoying the game a lot but I've never played a game like this before (at least not on this level of complexity) so I have a few questions here that I hope I can get some answers to.

1. When I first started my current game I made the succession law elective, but I changed it to primogeniture as my realm has gotten A LOT bigger (I started off with 1 county and am a King now) but I'm still getting messages about other characters favouring successors to certain countys/duchies etc. Why is this? Shouldn't the law I passed effect my whole kingdom?

2. Is there an easier/quicker way to group my army levies together? Or raise them all in one place? Sometimes when I first raise them my smaller groups get picked off by my enemy before I have a chance to combine them. Can prevent this happening? It's kind of annoying

Hi, I recently started playing and so far I'm enjoying the game a lot but I've never played a game like this before (at least not on this level of complexity) so I have a few questions here that I hope I can get some answers to.

1. When I first started my current game I made the succession law elective, but I changed it to primogeniture as my realm has gotten A LOT bigger (I started off with 1 county and am a King now) but I'm still getting messages about other characters favouring successors to certain countys/duchies etc. Why is this? Shouldn't the law I passed effect my whole kingdom?

2. Is there an easier/quicker way to group my army levies together? Or raise them all in one place? Sometimes when I first raise them my smaller groups get picked off by my enemy before I have a chance to combine them. Can prevent this happening? It's kind of annoying

1. Each duchy has its own succession laws in addition to the crown laws. Same with kingdoms within Empires. Chances are they became elective because you created them when you were elective. A Duchy's generic successions is gavelkind.

2. Not really, no. If you want easy movement I'd suggest raising the ships first and getting those to group, then raising the men and loading them into the boats. Naval movement is decidedly faster, and unless you pack your navy full of men you shouldn't suffer any real attrition. That should help you pool them together before meeting enemy forces. Also, landing a fleet in one of your ports can be a great way of catching the enemy off-guard.

1. Where is the geographical center of the map? I have everything to the left from a line drawn from England to modern Iran territory and those territories in Iran always want to revolt. My current capital is in Venice.

2. How can I check the -opinion penalty for distance? It doesnt show as a number, a duke with +10 opinion has 5% to revolt cuz hes too far away.

3. How exactly pressing someone else's claim works? Every time I press a duchy claim successfully it becomes independent, even though I am a king. In peace conditions it says something like:
"-gain 100 prestige
-*claim holder* gains duchy of blabla
-*claim holder* gains county of blablabla
-*claim holder*: *me, king* becomes a new liege"
but when I press it he just goes independent. This works fine with counties though, but taking 1 county at a time from Byzantine empire feels so slow...

4. Same as 3 but with invasion. Sometimes I get everything, like whole France with every single county there, the dukes become my vassals (or I get everything from them too, not sure, but I control whole territory). Sometimes I get only the land and titles the invaded king held, rest becomes independent. Whats up with that?

5. Whats the best way to conquer a huge orthodox empire? Cant invade it =(

6. My children often get rejected with "desires a better alliance" reason when I try to marry them. I got like 400k men I can raise total, with my personal 40k, how can I make my kingdom more attractive to marry into?

Last edited: