• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Question:
I don't really understand when females in your court can become council members and when they can't. There's the obvious fact that females can't be marshal or court chaplain. But my ruler's wife can become spymaster, but my 26 skill married daughter in my court cannot? Someone please explain this to me.

Question:
I don't really understand when females in your court can become council members and when they can't. There's the obvious fact that females can't be marshal or court chaplain. But my ruler's wife can become spymaster, but my 26 skill married daughter in my court cannot? Someone please explain this to me.

Your wife and your mother can be used, but only your wife and your mother.

Anagain: Gavelkind is your problem. Your titles are distributed amongst your children, with the older children getting the better titles. If you switch to Elective, Seniority, or Primogeniture, all titles you control will go to one person. On the other hand, the people who are disinherited by the change will be... unhappy. If you do switch, remember the power of bishoprics—by making someone a bishop, they're removed from the line of succession.

Roger has a smaller demesne limit because his state stewardship is lower. State stewardship is his stewardship, plus his Steward's, plus half of his wife's.

I'm not sure why you'd expect creating the Kingdom of Sicily to change the ownership of anything within it; if you own the counties on the Island personally, they'll remain with you afterwards. Your holdings remain yours, your vassals remain your vassals, your vassals' vassals remain your vassals' vassals. Once you're a king though, you can hand out duchies and the dukes will be your vassals. Nothing changes immediately, but you gain options, prestige, the ability to subjugate dukes...

Thank you so much Swuboo. I get it completely now. I don't know whether to start again or go back to my autosave and go on from there. I doubt it would make things any different starting again, but at least I would know more than I do now. I'd also feel like I was cheating if I returned to the autosave, mainly because no doubt I'd make the Kingdom of Sicily before Robert dies. It left me in a slightly better position on succession and I had been planning to before he died suddenly.

I do see now why Apulia was listed as a quite high difficulty game. Jump in head first, I say. :eek:

Thanks again, you've been an immense help.

I just wish I understood this rule of inheritance upon succession. It makes no sense to me.

As duke Robert I am told I will lose five titles on succession;

The duchy of Calabria (to second-in-line Guy)
The duchy of Salerno (to youngest son Gerald)
The county of Napoli (Gerald)
The county of Catanzaro (Guy)
The county of Siracusa (Gerald)

It's because you have the gavelkind succession law which splits your titles between your sons.

I'm confused as to why all this is as it is. Is it just a case that on every succession there will be a hand out of titles? Is it Gavelkind that causes this, because I just read my law (Agnatic-Cognatic Gavelkind) and it says the titles are distributed amongst children? Would this mean that I can not avoid losing titles on succession, or at least until I lose Gavelkind? If it is as simple as Gavelkind causing me these problems then, again, I feel rather stupid for not noticing before.

Exactly that. Your choices are:

1. Gavelkind - splits everything up but gives an increase to demesne limit.
2. Primogeniture - Everyhting goes to eldest son, so nice for keeping all your titles together, but your younger sons will hate you and you'll probably have a lot of civil wars.
3. Elective - Your sons hate it, except the one you vote for. Your vassals like it, but there's a strong chance of losing your crown to an unrelated duke.
4. Seniority - Everything goes to the eldest living male family member. A good way to gradually group all family titles together, but tends to result in shorter reigns due to succeeding older and being murdered more frequently.

So, Hobson's choice really ;)

I also found Roger had only 5 possible desmense's instead of the 7 that Robert had.

Your demesne limit is based on your rank and stewardship skill. If you hover the cursor over your demesne limit in the top-right of the screen it will explain the formula in a tooltip.

jrallen9: Your children live in your capital until they have lands of their own, or they're invited as adults to someone else's court. Have your spymaster uncover plots there.

I figured that's where I should send my spy master to "defend" your family as it were.

I'm just mystified as to why his kids keep getting killed. Any thoughts on keeping them alive?

Am I to assume i should just keep looking for the best spy master skills to keep his chances high. I know you can work on improving the relations of the people that hate you. I'm assuming I should start with those in line to inherit my title.

anagain: My pleasure. One thing that might help if you start over is that it's possible to switch succession types during Robert Guiscard's lifetime; he can't have reigned less than ten years and no vassals may have a negative opinion of him. Wait a few years, bribe your surlier vassals, hand out a few Honorary titles, and you can very easily have primogeniture before your first succession. Unless he dies prematurely, of course.

I'm sure you can salvage your current game, though. Once you create the Kingdom, everything you lost will be your de jure vassals, and because they're ruled by your kids, they should be amenable to offers of vassalization.

By the way, the reason that Apulia's difficult isn't gavelkind; it's Tripolitania, Tunis, and Cyrenaica. Once you take the Island of Sicily, expect them to come for you. Hard.

jrallen9: Either whoever wants your kids dead has a better spymaster than you, your spymaster is just plain incompetent, or your spymaster him/herself is the one who wants those kids dead. They won't uncover their own plots.

calicheSCOT: They have their own tab on the military menu, next to the one for mercenaries. They may not exist yet, though.

I had two bishops that weren't my biggest fans and since i like taxes I gave them my kids (2 bastards one legit) and the people I took them away from have the -15 for losing a ward but the 2 bishops don't have any bonus' for getting them.

calicheSCOT: They have their own tab on the military menu, next to the one for mercenaries. They may not exist yet, though.

Yup, I see it, no Orders there to hire though. How do they appear, are there set conditions or is it scripted to happen at a set time?

I was doing great on crusade in the Holy land with the HRE but the Caliphate is throwing about stacks of like 10-12k and the Germans decided to go on a jaunty walk through Egypt leaving me to get overwhelmed. Anyone got any tips on Crusading?

anagain: My pleasure. One thing that might help if you start over is that it's possible to switch succession types during Robert Guiscard's lifetime; he can't have reigned less than ten years and no vassals may have a negative opinion of him. Wait a few years, bribe your surlier vassals, hand out a few Honorary titles, and you can very easily have primogeniture before your first succession. Unless he dies prematurely, of course.

I'm sure you can salvage your current game, though. Once you create the Kingdom, everything you lost will be your de jure vassals, and because they're ruled by your kids, they should be amenable to offers of vassalization.

By the way, the reason that Apulia's difficult isn't gavelkind; it's Tripolitania, Tunis, and Cyrenaica. Once you take the Island of Sicily, expect them to come for you. Hard.

Ouch, and I thought Gavelkind was making things tough. I was going to try and take out the Papal State after I had made the Kingdom of Sicily (have a CB on them) but if I have to contend with the entire north coast of Africa then maybe I'll sit back. :unsure:

Either way it's gone 2am and I've spent 2 hours trying to understand all this. I thought EU3 was hard but it was a doddle compared to the complexity of CK2. I'll make up my mind whether to start again or continue in the morning. I need sleep.

Maleficus said:
It's because you have the gavelkind succession law which splits your titles between your sons.

Exactly that. Your choices are:

1. Gavelkind - splits everything up but gives an increase to demesne limit.
2. Primogeniture - Everyhting goes to eldest son, so nice for keeping all your titles together, but your younger sons will hate you and you'll probably have a lot of civil wars.
3. Elective - Your sons hate it, except the one you vote for. Your vassals like it, but there's a strong chance of losing your crown to an unrelated duke.
4. Seniority - Everything goes to the eldest living male family member. A good way to gradually group all family titles together, but tends to result in shorter reigns due to succeeding older and being murdered more frequently.

So, Hobson's choice really

Your demesne limit is based on your rank and stewardship skill. If you hover the cursor over your demesne limit in the top-right of the screen it will explain the formula in a tooltip.

Thank you Maleficus as well. That was a mightily helpful post too. I had so much going through my mind until I cleared this Gavelkind succession up. I have a tendency to overwhelm myself by assuming what's not the case when I should just read tooltips more carefully.

The Orders appear at set times. The Templars and Hospitallers appear in the first half of the twelfth century, and the Teutonics appear in the second half.

Either way it's gone 2am and I've spent 2 hours trying to understand all this. I thought EU3 was hard but it was a doddle compared to the complexity of CK2. I'll make up my mind whether to start again or continue in the morning. I need sleep.

This is similar to Dwarf Fortress motto: "Losing is fun", I actually don't mind replaying the same count over and over again. :D

Question:
Is there a keybind for quickload or should I just go with the flow and stop spamming save/resign/load?

In addition to my question about the bishops not getting a +20 bonus for me giving them my kids -- anyone know if there's a way to get allies to do stuff you want? I have one allie who went and ninja'd syracuse and other one has just chilled by apulia and not helped vs my rebellious dukes / vs the actual revolt / OR the muslims who attacked lol

Do I gain something to be on my liege's council ?

I'm his chancellor and on the diplomacy screen I can resign but it does'nt show any negative effect.

Definitely a prestige bonus; possibly a salary?

Quick question: If you get excommunicated, how do you go back into the communication?

Quick question: If you get excommunicated, how do you go back into the communication?
Click on your own diplomacy options, at the bottom where excommunication is there should be a 'revoke excommunication' or similar button. The pope will have to like you to do this though, send your bishop to improve religious relations with him if he doesn't think highly of you and try again.

Another route is the pope will randomly offer to lift the excommunication if you take up a crusade. This of course requires a crusade to be on going and you to declare war on the target, but not necessarily go there.

Click on your own diplomacy options, at the bottom where excommunication is there should be a 'revoke excommunication' or similar button. The pope will have to like you to do this though, send your bishop to improve religious relations with him if he doesn't think highly of you and try again.

Another route is the pope will randomly offer to lift the excommunication if you take up a crusade. This of course requires a crusade to be on going and you to declare war on the target, but not necessarily go there.

Thousands of thanks, I'm playing like a semipagan so I haven't actually gotten into the whole Papal-buisness, is it hard to remove the pope and replace him with an antipope? Do you do this throu' election or by the tip of the sword (last time I attacked the papal-state I had around 15 000 soldiers, including HRE and Irland marching upon me).

Thousands of thanks, I'm playing like a semipagan so I haven't actually gotten into the whole Papal-buisness, is it hard to remove the pope and replace him with an antipope? Do you do this throu' election or by the tip of the sword (last time I attacked the papal-state I had around 15 000 soldiers, including HRE and Irland marching upon me).

You need to have free investiture laws; if a bishop likes you enough, you make him the anti-Pope. You can also claim the Papacy, but that's a little more tricky.

Why are assassinations almost univerally impossible? Most of mine are around 12% possibility of success, as low as 5% against rulers, and never higher than 30%. Do I just suck?