• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How do I determine who has claims on titles so I can marry my children to them?

Best way is to go to the holder of the title you're interested in, and click its shield. Along with the create/usurp button and all that, on the far right side is a list of claimants.

Thanks, SE. That was helpful, although I am still confused on some matters. The ruling hierarchy throws me off sometime, although I think we have something like King>Duke>Count>Mayor/Bishop with the interchangeable titular names depending on the culture. For instance, I think Earl and Count are basically the same thing.

The thing with Ormond though is that there is no castle. The Top tier Slot is a city. Therefore, that province/county - so to speak - must be lead by a Mayor. My son could not be a mayor so I think that is why I was getting the penalty. Still, I've not seen any province with that setup before and surprised it hasn't been mentioned elsewhere (or maybe it has) since Ireland is pretty popular. Unless what I'm seeing is some quirk with that particular game. (it is unmodded) The ultimate issues, of course, are a) Ormond can never be in my demesne b) the heirs will be elective and out of my control

Right, there are 5 tiers of titles:

Emperor (Kaiser, Basileus, Caliph, Kaghan)
King (King, Despot, Sultan, Khan)
Duke (Duke, Doux, Emir, Beylerbey)
Count (Count, Earl, Sheikh, Bey)
Baron

Those are just different names for the titles which vary by culture. Ecclesiastical and burgher rulers have different titles altogether:

(I have no clue about the emperor tiers)
King-Bishop / Serene Doge
Prince-Archbishop / Doge
Prince-Bishop / Lord Mayor
Bishop / Mayor

With their own cultural variations, as well. (Timar? Crazy Muslims, what does that mean?)

Muftis are something muslim as well. I think bishop or something.

How feasible/hard is it to take Rome/Papal State? I want to give this a shot, but don't feel like getting excommunicated the second I do it.

Also, how many guys should I take with me to attempt taking Venice? I know that lagoon crossing is going to lead to some casualties.

Pretty easy for Rome, be sure to get some mercs though, the Pope has a giant wallet and Rome can raise a surprising number of troops. Also remember they have a bishopric in Benevento. Just play as Matilda of Toscana or someone that marries her. She begins as the duke of Spoleto (among other things). The pope will inevitably usurp said title, giving her and her heir a claim to the entire duchy leaving the pope just with Orvietto which the Doge of Pisa will often take.

As for Venice, that I've never given a fair fight so I can't say.

How do I determine who has claims on titles so I can marry my children to them?

Find the title you want, and click on it. You should see a box called "claimants". Also be sure to check their claim by hovering over it and see if it is inheritable. Remember children won't have a claim until their parent dies.... which is a bit odd.

Two kind of random questions:

1. What is the symbol for the "Content" trait? Is it supposed to be some kind of cauldron?

2. There's an event where a "nettlesome neighbor" sends envoys to you, and you have the option of sending the envoys back with their hats nailed to their heads, or sending a bouquet of roses. I'm not sure I understand the point of this event... what's the story behind it? Is my neighbor hitting on me? o_O I sent roses...

How feasible/hard is it to take Rome/Papal State? I want to give this a shot, but don't feel like getting excommunicated the second I do it.

I've found that the problem is not in being excommunicated (didn't happen to me), but in the amount of money the Pope has. Check his character: he might have several thousand gold on him. This means he can hire plent of mercenaries. Be prepared for a tough fight!

Also, how many guys should I take with me to attempt taking Venice? I know that lagoon crossing is going to lead to some casualties.

Same problem as with the pope: the Venetian Doge often has plenty of money. Check how much he has to determine how many soldiers you'll need.
I find that, if you outnumber his armies enough, the lagoon crossing penalty is not that much of a bother.

I am the Count of Leicester.
I set the tax//levy level.
King grants me Duke of York title [Leicester is dejure] in name [not land, King still owns land]

Should the tax//levy levels be resetting? I figured it was due to the acquisition of new land in name, thus new rules to apply overall rather than simply just my own County. Or am I missing something?

2. There's an event where a "nettlesome neighbor" sends envoys to you, and you have the option of sending the envoys back with their hats nailed to their heads, or sending a bouquet of roses. I'm not sure I understand the point of this event... what's the story behind it? Is my neighbor hitting on me? o_O I sent roses...

Depending on the choices you make, it is possible to get either the Gardener or Impaler lifestyle traits.

When looking in the Allies tab, the "same dynasty" text is sometimes green, sometimes red.. what is the difference?

Thanks

Red means that they would *not* be able to call them into a war, at the current time. Green means that they could, theoretically, be called into a war. Just because they can be called does not necessarily mean that they would accept, though.

My bloody heir suddenly became the byzantine emperor, I'm playing as an independant jerusalem but I also own flanders cause I started as them.
What should I do? The best thing I can think of is to move the byzantine capital to jerusalem (to keep my dutch culture) , but damm, this is a mess

My bloody heir suddenly became the byzantine emperor, I'm playing as an independant jerusalem but I also own flanders cause I started as them.
What should I do? The best thing I can think of is to move the byzantine capital to jerusalem (to keep my dutch culture) , but damm, this is a mess

The location of your capital has no effect on your culture. Most of your vassals will be within the Byzantine Empire, so I recommend placing your capital somewhere centralized within there, to keep as many happy as possible.

I thought I read somewhere that Sovereign leaders of your dynasty will add to your total score when they die, but as far as I can tell, only the character I'm playing adds to the score upon death. Did I misunderstand? Am I wasting time giving distance-based revolt-risk-high kingdoms to dynasty members other than my direct heir?

I thought I read somewhere that Sovereign leaders of your dynasty will add to your total score when they die, but as far as I can tell, only the character I'm playing adds to the score upon death. Did I misunderstand? Am I wasting time giving distance-based revolt-risk-high kingdoms to dynasty members other than my direct heir?

Sovereign leaders add to your total dynasty score when they die. To obtain optimal dynasty score, you would accumulate the primary titles yourself and put all of their succession laws on "Seniority", allowing as many generations to pass through ruling them as possible.

For your personal score, only the character that you play as will add to it.

Personally, I don't like having more than ~a third of the map under my direct control, so I have no problem with other dynasty members holding kingdom titles. Even if it is not an optimal arrangement for my personal or dynastic score.

Sovereign leaders add to your total dynasty score when they die. To obtain optimal dynasty score, you would accumulate the primary titles yourself and put all of their succession laws on "Seniority", allowing as many generations to pass through ruling them as possible.

For your personal score, only the character that you play as will add to it.

Personally, I don't like having more than ~a third of the map under my direct control, so I have no problem with other dynasty members holding kingdom titles. Even if it is not an optimal arrangement for my personal or dynastic score.

Thanks for the tip on Seniority. I may go through and make that happen to see what the result is in this game.

What's the difference between personal score and dynasty score? My score in the upper right corner only goes up when the character I play dies, and when I resign, the score that shows up there is the same as the upper right corner score.

Due to the way I expanded, I couldn't keep much more than Ireland, Scotland and Andalusia under my direct control without getting annoying revolts. I am starting to expand into England, which I think will be safe.

How do you make someone your vassal when pressing claims? What are the restrictions? I'm King of England, pressing a claim for a member of my dynasty to become King of Scotland. Why didn't they become my vassal?

How do you make someone your vassal when pressing claims? What are the restrictions? I'm King of England, pressing a claim for a member of my dynasty to become King of Scotland. Why didn't they become my vassal?

Because a king may not be the vassal of another king.