• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Every subsequent fair and hunt i host has its cost increase by maybe half a gold piece or so

is there some modifier that makes it more expensive, like the more prestige you currently have, or is it that it simply gets more expensive if you call them consecutively each year?

This seems to happen with every creation of a new noble man or women (in decisions) too. I alawys assumed it was WAD. The same with indulgences - they cost more and more. But I haven't noticed the fair/hunt effect.

Holding a hunt is also related to how much money you have

scaled_wealth = -0.20

so maybe that's something that needs considering too. But I think that, yes, each one progressively becomes more expensive.

EDIT:

From K-vald himself:

"It's WAD, it's calculated based on your yearly income..."

So, obviously, as your yearly income (NOT the amount of money you have) rises, so do the costs.

Last edited:
Perhaps, it has been asked already, but again-how do you exactly nominate a commander to your troops? Say, for example, I am a King of Denmark and raise not just levies in my counties, but also the levies of my vassals. So, I own Skane and assembly all the troops there. When I merge them, my marshall becomes the commander of all of them, right? Or the county here doesnt matter and just sheer number of your/your vassal troops matter?

I think this has been asked many times, but it is a bit tiring to go through a hounded pages to look. Its about alliances and such and the desire for a better alliance.
As Norway I have taken England, a chunk of Scotland, Finland, and I invaded Denmark on a claim for a Danish princess. So now me and lady Denmark is the best of friends.
I want to start messing around with Ireland and the rest of Scotland, and thus I would like to make sure I wont get any problems with Sweden. There are no Swedish royalty
or noblemen with claims on any of my provinces or thrones, but still they dont think I'm worth an alliance despite having a stronger millitary and more land than them, also more
prestige. I'm also allied with Byzantium and they dont have ill feelings for Sweden and vice versa.

So, how on earth can I get an alliance with Sweden?

Please halp?

Perhaps, it has been asked already, but again-how do you exactly nominate a commander to your troops? Say, for example, I am a King of Denmark and raise not just levies in my counties, but also the levies of my vassals. So, I own Skane and assembly all the troops there. When I merge them, my marshall becomes the commander of all of them, right? Or the county here doesnt matter and just sheer number of your/your vassal troops matter?

To nominate commanders of an army you should have at least Low Crown Authority (either yours (if you are king), your king's or your emperor's). Then in the selected army you should click on the box with the name of one of the current 3 commanders and choose anyone you want.

Extra tip: martial skill of commanders on the flanks doubles.

Leaving aside relations with courtiers, just how does holding more than your demesne limit affect your income? Has anyone done an analysis? If I'm 1 over, -1%, 2 over -2% etc?

And hitchens: this is very frustrating, I agree. Essentially, they're envious of your position, perhaps slightly threatened, and believe you'll stab them in the back because to a human player, +100 means nothing. Naught to be done. Not moddable.

I'm playing as the HRE, and have managed to extend the De Jure territory of Germany over the biggest part of Western Europe. Hence, a lot of kingdom titles in Europe have become titular (Bavaria, Bohemia, Frisia, France, Brittany, Italy, etc. etc.).
I have two questions about my current position:

- If I create and keep these titular kingdom titles, will they count towards my relationships towards my vassals? I.e. will I get the 'hold too many elector titles' penalty, or doesn't that count for titular kingdom titles?
- If I dole out these kingdom titles to my vassals in order to reduce the headaches in managing my empire, will the vassals of these kingdoms still follow HRE crown laws?
- If I dole these kingdom titles out to my vassals, will that cause the territory they hold to become De Jure territory of their titular kingdom title over time, or will their lands forever remain De Jure territory of the Kingdom or Germany?

- If I create and keep these titular kingdom titles, will they count towards my relationships towards my vassals? I.e. will I get the 'hold too many elector titles' penalty, or doesn't that count for titular kingdom titles?
Titular titles should not have voting rights, though i've never paid much attention to how it affects an Emperor. Your kingdom of Germany won't be affected.
- If I dole out these kingdom titles to my vassals in order to reduce the headaches in managing my empire, will the vassals of these kingdoms still follow HRE crown laws?
These kingdoms should not have any vassals, lands or subjects. Hence them being Titular now, so you would just be handing out a fancy title to someone. They will still be inside the HRE which should have expanded it's De Jure borders to include these provinces at the same speed they were being added to your Germany kingdom.
- If I dole these kingdom titles out to my vassals, will that cause the territory they hold to become De Jure territory of their titular kingdom title over time, or will their lands forever remain De Jure territory of the Kingdom or Germany?
Titular titles have no provinces to drift anywhere in your case.

Giving yourself a lot of titular titles seems to be free prestige without any downside, but this is only from my experiences as a King. Not an Emperor.

Titular titles can become de jure (again) through de jure drift but it will take a century to happen. When they become de jure again (even if its only 1 duchy) they will start to apply their own crown laws.

Doleing out titular titles will require some work. The dukes won't automatically go with the kingdoms (as they are titular) so you could hand a titular title to somone and then transfer the vassalages of various dukes you wanted to be under him. This could create some wierd situations, you could give the titular kingdom of France to a duke in Sicily and then give him the vassalage of some Neapolitan and Italian dukes. France would then after a century become a Southern Italian kingdom.

Your vassals will follow HRE crown laws while the titles are still titular then they will follow their own.

You shouldn't receive a too many elector titles held penalty as they arent elector titles, but best to test yourself quickly first.

Anyone know why my ruler would get the "Ill-Ruler" title, which I assume is not good. He had good traits, expanded the kingdom more than any predecessor, and had very god relations with all vassals. I just don't understand.

If I Hold 3 duchy Titles should I hand them over to my family members such as my brothers and half brothers or nieces and nephews? All of which is in my dynasty. I'm new to the game but so far with youtube tutorials I've been learning little by little, my plan from the beginning was to only have people in my dynasty rule at the top. is that good or bad?

If I Hold 3 duchy Titles should I hand them over to my family members such as my brothers and half brothers or nieces and nephews? All of which is in my dynasty. I'm new to the game but so far with youtube tutorials I've been learning little by little, my plan from the beginning was to only have people in my dynasty rule at the top. is that good or bad?
That depends on several factors, such as the size/structure of your realm, its succession type and what your family are like.

In my current game I only have sons, cousins and nephews ruling the duchies within my kingdom, but that's because I conquered or created them all and I have Feudal Elective succession and don't want to risk my family losing the crown. If your kingdom is Gavelkind of Primogeniture then you're probably safe inviting random people to your realm (under the Intrigue tab -- you can invite men or women); choose a spouse for them whilst they're in your court, wait until they have a couple of sons and then grant the father the duchy.

It's best to make sure no single family within your realm gets too powerful, so grant a different duchy to a different family.

Two questions:
1) Is it possible to change the de jure boundaries of places? Like if I wanted to absorb Poland, Hungary, and Bohemia into Germany as Titular titles?
2) My ruler has earned "the Cruel" as his epithet. Does that do anything or is it just because I've executed quite a deal of people?

That depends on several factors, such as the size/structure of your realm, its succession type and what your family are like.

In my current game I only have sons, cousins and nephews ruling the duchies within my kingdom, but that's because I conquered or created them all and I have Feudal Elective succession and don't want to risk my family losing the crown. If your kingdom is Gavelkind of Primogeniture then you're probably safe inviting random people to your realm (under the Intrigue tab -- you can invite men or women); choose a spouse for them whilst they're in your court, wait until they have a couple of sons and then grant the father the duchy.

It's best to make sure no single family within your realm gets too powerful, so grant a different duchy to a different family.

OK I have Primogeniture in my game I I thought I would be fun to only have people in my dynasty rule So do you think Feudal elective is the best way to go?

Two questions:
1) Is it possible to change the de jure boundaries of places? Like if I wanted to absorb Poland, Hungary, and Bohemia into Germany as Titular titles?

If a complete Duchy remains in the hands of a Kingdom other than its de-jure kingdom for 100 years, it will transfer to that kingdom.

Ok next question:

How the hell do you guys manage elective, haha I read on here that it was easy. But its impossibly hard lol. I started a new game as William the Conqueror. After a few years of manovering my vassals, I have managed to do the following:

Myself as King: Hold Duchy of Norfolk, Duchy of Middlex (?, the one that has the three counties around london ish lol), Duchy of Oxford, Duchy of Dorset (?, the one with the three counties, Dorset, Somerset and the other one). The King owns all the counties also which number 10. My demesne limit is 9 so its not too much over.

Duke of Normandy: My son Robert, holds whole of Duchy
Duke of Kent: Holds whole Duchy
Duke of Gousters (?): Holds whole of Duchy
Duke of Cornwall: Holds whole of Duchy
Duke of Leicaster (?): Holds whole of Duchy
Duke of Hereford (?): Holds whole of Duchy
Duke of York: Holds whole of Duchy
Duke of Northumberland: Holds whole of Duchy

So its basically myself with 8 vassals all in nice clean Duchies. This is working great thus far, they all love me (the lowest opinion is 92), they have no tax etc since I rely on raping the hell out of the cities and churches (I don't really care if the lowly lords like me or not lol).

But I changed to elective, and I chose my second son (William is it?) as he had a far cry better stats than Robert (Robert was so terrible it would be unbearable). Initally most of the Dukes supported my decision, but now most of them are nominating themselves or backing randoms like the Duke of Cornwall. I don't know how to sway their votes, like I said they all love me, I can't really get their opinion any higher????

So far I have had to resort to killing on the dukes who are voted the "Heir" I've killed two so far, and my choice is back to number one, but why do they keep randomly changing? Luckily all my assassinations have worked awesomely (high intrigue skill perhaps) so I haven't been punished for it yet, but no doubt one will fail.

So my question is, how do you guys who promote elective as the best system maintain your choice of Heir?

So my question is, how do you guys who promote elective as the best system maintain your choice of Heir?
Unless your vassals dislike you intensely they'll normally follow your choice of heir, and you've said that you're well-loved so there shouldn't really be a problem. I do seriously recommend Feudal Elective by the way -- it reduces other peoples' claims against your throne, it means a larger number of people like you (especially possible claimants) and it gives you the obvious benefit of always being able to hand-pick your heir.

A word of warning though: only dukes within a kingdom's de jure borders can vote for its next monarch, so your eldest son Robert will not be able to vote if he's duke of Normandy, because Normandy is legally a part of France even if practically a part of England.

Also, if you want to absorb Normandy into England you need the complete duchy, which in vanilla means conquering or inheriting the Vexin.

Ok next question:

How the hell do you guys manage elective, haha I read on here that it was easy. But its impossibly hard lol. I started a new game as William the Conqueror. After a few years of manovering my vassals, I have managed to do the following:

Myself as King: Hold Duchy of Norfolk, Duchy of Middlex (?, the one that has the three counties around london ish lol), Duchy of Oxford, Duchy of Dorset (?, the one with the three counties, Dorset, Somerset and the other one). The King owns all the counties also which number 10. My demesne limit is 9 so its not too much over.

Duke of Normandy: My son Robert, holds whole of Duchy
Duke of Kent: Holds whole Duchy
Duke of Gousters (?): Holds whole of Duchy
Duke of Cornwall: Holds whole of Duchy
Duke of Leicaster (?): Holds whole of Duchy
Duke of Hereford (?): Holds whole of Duchy
Duke of York: Holds whole of Duchy
Duke of Northumberland: Holds whole of Duchy

So its basically myself with 8 vassals all in nice clean Duchies. This is working great thus far, they all love me (the lowest opinion is 92), they have no tax etc since I rely on raping the hell out of the cities and churches (I don't really care if the lowly lords like me or not lol).

But I changed to elective, and I chose my second son (William is it?) as he had a far cry better stats than Robert (Robert was so terrible it would be unbearable). Initally most of the Dukes supported my decision, but now most of them are nominating themselves or backing randoms like the Duke of Cornwall. I don't know how to sway their votes, like I said they all love me, I can't really get their opinion any higher????

So far I have had to resort to killing on the dukes who are voted the "Heir" I've killed two so far, and my choice is back to number one, but why do they keep randomly changing? Luckily all my assassinations have worked awesomely (high intrigue skill perhaps) so I haven't been punished for it yet, but no doubt one will fail.

I agree, I've found elective to sometimes be problematic, even when beloved by your vassals. What is your chosen heir's diplomacy stat? What is the diplomacy stat of this duke of Cornwall? Diplomacy is a HUGE factor from what I've seen. Personally I prefer primogeniture but I will admit, elective can be awesome when it works properly.

Unless your vassals dislike you intensely they'll normally follow your choice of heir, and you've said that you're well-loved so there shouldn't really be a problem. I do seriously recommend Feudal Elective by the way -- it reduces other peoples' claims against your throne, it means a larger number of people like you (especially possible claimants) and it gives you the obvious benefit of always being able to hand-pick your heir.

A word of warning though: only dukes within a kingdom's de jure borders can vote for its next monarch, so your eldest son Robert will not be able to vote if he's duke of Normandy, because Normandy is legally a part of France even if practically a part of England.

Also, if you want to absorb Normandy into England you need the complete duchy, which in vanilla means conquering or inheriting the Vexin.

Yeah I noticed that Robert wasn't voting, which is good cause he would probably vote for himself being the eldest son.

So what am I doing wrong? Is it solely opinion based or what? I noticed that they all have a -45 too many electives held, but their total is still all above 90.

I agree, I've found elective to sometimes be problematic, even when beloved by your vassals. What is your chosen heir's diplomacy stat? What is the diplomacy stat of this duke of Cornwall? Diplomacy is a HUGE factor from what I've seen. Personally I prefer primogeniture but I will admit, elective can be awesome when it works properly.

Um Ill check his diplo stat when I get home, that's good to know at least. I don't think its massively high, to be honest my heir isn't really that great either, but he has a few teen stats, where as Robert's highest stat is 7 lol. So my pick is the best of the worst.

I might change back to Primogeniture after this, hopefully my heir's sons will have better stats lol.